Immigration Department will require an insurance policy starting May 9th, 2016

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
The Immigration Department will stop accepting guarantee letters for new applications and renewals.

Starting May 9th 2016, all applicants must buy an insurance policy to file new applications and process renewals. The policy must be contracted with La Comercial de Seguros, S.A. prior to the deposit of the files. The policy will have a cost of US$100.00.

Jan 17, 2009
Could you please post your source of info? Is this only for those who used to present a guarantee from a Dominican, or it means that title of property, bank letter, etc. are no longer an option?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Important information. Raises a couple questions.

What will that $100 policy from La Comercial de Seguros cover?

Also, most companies in the DR do not want to cover anyone over 65 years of age. Presumably this one would?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
For those of you who may not know, LicelotteM is an attorney with Guzman Ariza, and posts on their behalf. You can be assured that she knows the law.

Feb 7, 2007
I also would like to know if past solved y proof (bank letter) is being discontinued or still applies. If the bank letter or property etc. Solvency proof no longer applies than this would be just another money grab from the government to foreigners, and one that lines private pockets of the insurance company owners.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
how does one purchase this? is the payment one off? yearly? with each renewal?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Originally the new rules said that as part of the residency process one would have to purchase health insurance - then that sort of disappeared. The guarantor is supposed to be the person who pays if you get deported but it can be a pain getting everything together for that and some pay way over the odds for it. So this is either the previously abandoned health insurance or it replaces the guarantor and is a policy to pay if you get deported. Who knows and there is absolutely nothing on the company website.

Matilda

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
So if one already has health insurance here in the DR it's a non issue - just show your insurance card?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
For those of you who may not know, LicelotteM is an attorney with Guzman Ariza, and posts on their behalf. You can be assured that she knows the law.

So maybe she can elaborate a bit. What is the insurarce for, what does it cover? Who has to buy it? etc...

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Originally the new rules said that as part of the residency process one would have to purchase health insurance - then that sort of disappeared. The guarantor is supposed to be the person who pays if you get deported but it can be a pain getting everything together for that and some pay way over the odds for it. So this is either the previously abandoned health insurance or it replaces the guarantor and is a policy to pay if you get deported. Who knows and there is absolutely nothing on the company website.

Matilda

I'm guessing it has to do with the deportation thing. They've realized it's a bit $$ to deport people back so this would cover at least part of it.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
In the past the lawyer was always happy to act as the "guarantor"... The insurance policy im assuming is just another way for the Government to squeeze another 100 dollars out of you..

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I doubt it's health insurance... it'll be like a bond....
If you bolt/default/are deported- they will be liable for cleaning up after you.

If it replaces a guarantor, it will act as your new guarantor - for US$100
Safer for the gov't, IMO

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
So far the insurance policy will cover the following:
-Legal expenses for deportation procedures.
-Ticket to fly back to home country.
-Ticket for guarding agents (up to 2).
- Accommodations.

The policy is to be purchased directly from the insurance company. There are plans to have an insurance office at the Immigration Department in the future. In the meantime, applicants must purchase the policy directly at the insurance company?s offices.

This policy does not offer health coverage and the Immigration Department confirmed today that only the deportation policy will be required, although the law refers to an insurance policy that covers health and deportation expenses. The insurance company hinted that they will also offer health coverage for applicants, but this requirement is not confirmed yet.

The insurance policy will be required for all new applications and temporary residency renewals.
The insurance policy will replace the proof of solvency requirement in all temporary residency renewals.
Permanent residents will have to option of buying the insurance policy or proving solvency as they did under the previous process.
The renewal process under the investment program remains the same.

This information was confirmed by the Immigration Department today; however, since it is a new process it will be subject to adjustments.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Might be we should wait on the lady to come back and clarify what this is for.

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com
bienamor: She just did on the post above yours.

Contango:
This requirement is not new: it has always been a requirement as per the current DR Immigration Law/Application Ruling.
The Immigration authorities had, however, waived the application of this provision up until now.

LicelotteM

Sep 8, 2014
For approximately 6 months permanent residents had been waived from proving solvency to renew their cards.

The memo from the immigration department that announced the new requirement indicates that all new applicants including the those trying to renew temporary residency cards had to get the insurance policy. When we specifically inquired about the renewals of permanent residency (currently waived from proving solvency) the agent said that they could either buy the policy or show solvency, thus contradicting the current procedure.

I understand this will be subject to adjustment; however, this is how they will be handling the situation for the time being. We should have more information after Monday May 9th.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
For approximately 6 months permanent residents had been waived from proving solvency to renew their cards.

The memo from the immigration department that announced the new requirement indicates that all new applicants including the those trying to renew temporary residency cards had to get the insurance policy. When we specifically inquired about the renewals of permanent residency (currently waived from proving solvency) the agent said that they could either buy the policy or show solvency, thus contradicting the current procedure.

I understand this will be subject to adjustment; however, this is how they will be handling the situation for the time being. We should have more information after Monday May 9th.

Thank you for responding to my post above before I deleted it...I was thinking the 'desde el ano 1998' had some relevance and so pressed the delete button.

http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...sidencia/renovacion-de-residencia-permanente/

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I was confused. I should have made the connection to the guarantee letter in the original post. I was thinking it was a requirement for health insurance. I think the law requires health insurance in some circumstances, but the government is not enforcing this for now.