Commentary: What does the Dominican Republic want?

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
Source
http://www.caribbeannewsnow.com/top...-does-the-Dominican-Republic-want?-30226.html

By Jean H Charles

I recently asked that question in a forum hosted by the Bi-national Observatory for Migration, Media, Education and Commerce in Port au Prince. The answer was brushed aside by those in attendance at this important colloquium on how to dynamite commerce and industry between the Dominican Republic and Haiti. Yet, I believe this is one of the fundamental questions for Haiti and for the Caribbean region: what does the Dominican Republic want!

charles.jpg
Jean Herv? Charles LLB, MSW, JD is an ex-candidate to the Haitian presidential election of 2015. He works now with the Group named G30, a political network of 30 former presidential candidates that vow to use their energy as one to change the face of Haiti into a nation hospitable to its entire people. He can be reached at jeanhcharles@aol.com and followed at Caribbean News Now/Haiti
In an essay some ten years ago, I suggested that Puerto Rico, an outpost of the United States in the region should use its American leverage to become an important engine for growth of the Caribbean islands. It failed to do so. Ten years later it is a bankrupt territory.

There is a natural law in nature all unused resources will wither away.

The Republic of Haiti was destined to be the leader of the Caribbean. With its epic story set 200 years ago, albeit disturbing for the colonial empire, it delivered the rest of the world from the yoke of the disgusting state of black slavery. Haiti came to a sliding state of failure two years later that is now 200 years old.

The last 60 years, where the newly decolonized nations have embarked into a nation building project, Haiti has sunk into a brutal dictatorship for 30 years followed by another period of 30 years of faux democracy with in between a devastating earthquake.

I have not seen yet, signs of the light at the end of the tunnel for Haiti. There is nonchalance from all sectors of civil society as well as from the government to apprehend the urgency of the situation in optimizing the human and natural resources of the country for the benefit of all the citizens.

The Dominican Republic that occupies the eastern part of the island of Hispaniola or better Ayiti (to use the name given by the indigenous Tainos inhabitants) is pushing forward, y palente que vamos! Haiti under the weight of its demography, rampant corruption and lack of civism regresses every day.

The rest of the Caribbean might be in better shape than Haiti, but the load of foreign debt of each one of the islands coupled with a lack of a diversified economy that goes further than sun, surf and sea. It does not satisfy the need for employment of the citizens that left the Caribbean region in a low growth area where the citizens find solace in New York, London or Ottawa instead of Kingston, Bridgetown, or Roseau.

Cuba could also play that role of leadership for the Caribbean but it has been bruised to such a degree by 60 years of embargo by the United States and the rest of the world that it will take some time for that nation to heal and cruise at the growth level where it could become the main engine of the Caribbean locomotive.

Dominican Republic is an exception. It has just been named the best Caribbean destination by Expedia. It has a large human resources and a diversified economy of agriculture, mining, services and tourism. The question is whether it wants to go the way to Puerto Rico, destined to wither away or pursue an expanding growth by stimulating the economy of the entire region starting with the one from Haiti?

The Dominican Republic could become like the Germany of Europe or the Singapore of East Asia that play a determining role in forcing their region to become more productive. Angela Merkel did not hesitate to use the stick and the carrot with Greece to force that nation to stop playing the cicada that sings while not being diligent at working. Singapore has shown the way for Malaysia and the entire region of East Asia to engage in the nation building project and as such becoming emerging nations.

In that meeting, the focus was on escamourches from the Dominican Republic, and crocodile?s tears about unfair policies in business practices. The macro/micro agenda was not on the agenda of shepherding Haiti into better business practice. It will as such becoming an efficient nation the way the United States deals with Canada or the rest of the European Economy supports each other to greater wealth for each and for all.

I have said in an essay the Dominican Republic and the Republic of Haiti are like a bird with two wings, needing both to fly to the zenith. One is in need of the other; the Dominican Republic will not fly like an eagle with a damaged wing on the Haitian side.

The issue in the next election in the Dominican Republic coming in May should be whether the Dominican Republic is ready to take the lead in helping the rest of the Caribbean, in particular Haiti, to become vibrant nations bent on growth, and felicity for their citizens.

The Dominican Republic did help Haiti to build one of the best university complexes that the country has; yet, under Haitian hands, it is not functional. A dual Haitian-Dominican administration management would bring back to Haiti all those 15,000 Haitian students in transit in Dominican Republic for their studies.

With support from the European Community, the Dominican Republic in a joint venture with Haiti has the leverage to stimulate growth in adjoining border cities of Ouanaminthe and Dajabon, Belladere, Lascahobas and Elias Pine, etc.

The Caribbean Community (CARICOM) has shunned the Dominican Republic in not advancing its application to become a full member of the organization. It sounds like Cuba being denied membership in the OAS because it would displease the United States. (Before the Obama administration embraced the Castro brothers.) Haiti could play a determining role in helping the Dominican Republic becoming a fully fledged member of CARICOM.

On the other side, the Dominican Republic has expressed little interest in interaction with the Caribbean Community. Some would pretend it is due to a barrier of language. Spanish speaking Dominican Republic finds it uncomfortable with the English speaking Caribbean. This reason is not good enough. The European communities of different languages engage in commerce, industry, art and exchanges for the benefit of each and all.

The Dominican Republic has not understood the first principle of nation building. It calls for the birthing of the sentiment of appurtenance amongst all those who live within the confines of the country including the dark skin Dominican as well as the Dominican of Haitian origin. It is the cardinal rule to aspire to a great nation that will lead other nations to greatness.

Failure to do so, can only lead to another Puerto Rico (ten years from now) that once was!

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Perhaps the problem lies within the CARICOM nations as they are very quick to assign blame for Haiti on the DR. This is hardly he way to start a relationship of mutual benefit. I can't answer for the Dominican government or people on what they want, but Haiti could start by ensure their citizens have papers.
The final part of the narrative once again accuses the DR of racism. Again hardly the type of statement that will encourage cooperation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
well, OP, even though you are basically copying and pasting an article, you just got your answer to the political issues from an expert on caribbean affairs. i was born in the caribbean, worked for a caribbean government, and i am a friend of a guy who once headed Caricom, Sir Alistair McIntryre, a man with whom i have had discussions on the issues with the DR. it is good to see that a guy from outside the region is an authority on the subject.

GioMed

Oct 6, 2011
Another DR detractor and Haiti apologist? Geesuz christ! DR has it's own problems, 524
years later and Haiti is in the abyss. I would suggest a different route, A sea water canal
running right along the border. 2 Desalination plants somewhere in the middle
(paid for by CARICOM, the US, France or Canada that are so quick to criticize the DR )
to reforest the land, green zones guarded by real military personnel (not these UN hands-tied guys)
and wait 100 years to see what happens, in the meantime DR is a sovereign nation!

Matter of fact..I'll get the ball started on this
GrandCaribbeanCanal.com

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Like MA , many of those that praise Haiti and blame the DR, chose to live in the DR, and not the living hell that much of Haiti is, not due to outsiders but failure on the part of Haitian leadership. There are many things the Dominican government could be doing better but they've been better neighbors to Haiti than Haiti deserves.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I agree there are some familiar ramblings in the commentary. The dis-functionality of Haitian government is stated. As well the bias CARICOM against the DR. The entire article is an assessment, while providing background references.

No country on this earth is perfect in governing and servicing its people.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree there are some familiar ramblings in the commentary. The dis-functionality of Haitian government is stated. As well the bias CARICOM against the DR. The entire article is an assessment, while providing background references.

No country on this earth is perfect in governing and servicing its people.

since you have told us that there is a CARICOM bias against the DR, tell us about it in more detail....

let me get popcorn..

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
CARICOM countries cannot occupy a hypocritical position vis a vis the DR Haiti contretemps for one very simple reason..there are no Trinidadians or St Lucians who are Haitian by blood. when Trinidad kicks out Haitians, they are kicking out people who were born elsewhere. CARICOM was taking issue with the DR kicking out people who were born in the DR.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
http://caribjournal.com/2013/11/26/...n-of-dominican-republics-bid-for-membership/#

The statement from CARICOM shows either a lack of understanding of the problem of illegal Haitians residing in the DR or shear hypocrisy considering their own countries actions towards illegal Haitian immigration.

I second the observation of hypocrisy of CARICOM. There are people in leadership positions issuing judgements, many of those decisions are not abstractions from the consensus of the population, of those countries.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I second the observation of hypocrisy of CARICOM. There are people in leadership positions issuing judgements, many of those decisions are not abstractions from the consensus of the population, of those countries.

i wish i understood what you just wrote...

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
There is more to the article than the relationship between Haiti and the Dominican Republic. That relationship always attracts the contention between different positions on that historical issue.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
I second (concur) the observation of hypocrisy of CARICOM. There are people in leadership positions issuing judgements (the statement on the DR immigration), many of those decisions are not abstractions from the consensus of the population, of those countries (within CARICOM membership).

To clarify.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
CARICOM countries cannot occupy a hypocritical position vis a vis the DR Haiti contretemps for one very simple reason..there are no Trinidadians or St Lucians who are Haitian by blood. when Trinidad kicks out Haitians, they are kicking out people who were born elsewhere. CARICOM was taking issue with the DR kicking out people who were born in the DR.

Surely you are aware of the fact that the lack of documentation of the majority of the Haitian population (be them on the country itself or not) makes determining WHO is "Dominican of Haitian descent" truly problematic, aren't you? There's no telling how much lying is and has been done accross the board in order to avoid going back to the western gulag, just saying. The case of Winet Jean (who lied about his status in the Inter-American Commission for Human Rights (IACHR) hearing against the DR) isn't the only one, and to ignore this or believe otherwise is just plain naivete, to put it in a courteous way.

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Surely you are aware of the fact that the lack of documentation of the majority of the Haitian population (be them on the country itself or not) makes determining WHO is "Dominican of Haitian descent" truly problematic, aren't you? There's no telling how much lying is and has been done across the board in order to avoid going back to the western gulag, just saying. The case of Winet Jean (who lied about his status in the Inter-American Commission for Human Rights (IACHR) hearing against the DR) isn't the only one, and to ignore this or believe otherwise is just plain naivete, to put it in a courteous way.

Gorgon's picking at nits doesn't change the statements by CARICOM that the DR is kicking out illegal Haitians due to their colour. Instead of contributing to help solve the problems between a member state and a potential member state CARICOM acted like a belligerent or enemy. The highly educated leadership of CARICOM hasn't performed up to their education level.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
and of course when does a person w/so much education ever???? lawyers are licensed to...polictians have to.. sometimes your ladyfren does it too...to protect you...
and what does d.r. want??? what it cant have of course...unlimited spending...it only sees the short sale and not the long term...makes crazy taxation and kills jobs...which is long term growth,
i.e. airport taxes highest in the world? it does get tourists and probly could get triple the amount...but they dont see that...only the short side ...which is make them pay...the n.y.doms...the tourists
and travelers... is not building for a steady future...imo

May 29, 2006
The DR has far more resources than any other island, more than ten million population and an emerging economy. The other islands have little to offer.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Surely you are aware of the fact that the lack of documentation of the majority of the Haitian population (be them on the country itself or not) makes determining WHO is "Dominican of Haitian descent" truly problematic, aren't you? There's no telling how much lying is and has been done accross the board in order to avoid going back to the western gulag, just saying. The case of Winet Jean (who lied about his status in the Inter-American Commission for Human Rights (IACHR) hearing against the DR) isn't the only one, and to ignore this or believe otherwise is just plain naivete, to put it in a courteous way.

i am familiar with what you say, and i am also in agreement with you that it is up to the DR to decide how citizenship is accorded, be it blood, or birth. CARICOM should not assume upon themselves the right to decide what citizenship should look like.

however, that is not the point. CARICOM countries have some brutal strictures against illegal immigration. if you are from any caribbean territory, and you enter Trinidad legally, they can throw you out if they determine that you did not bring enough money. they have never suggested that the DR should tolerate illegal immigrants. their position has always been that you cannot be illegal if you are born in the DR. there is a huge difference.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
i am familiar with what you say, and i am also in agreement with you that it is up to the DR to decide how citizenship is accorded, be it blood, or birth. CARICOM should not assume upon themselves the right to decide what citizenship should look like.

however, that is not the point. CARICOM countries have some brutal strictures against illegal immigration. if you are from any caribbean territory, and you enter Trinidad legally, they can throw you out if they determine that you did not bring enough money. they have never suggested that the DR should tolerate illegal immigrants. their position has always been that you cannot be illegal if you are born in the DR. there is a huge difference.

They will have to rethink their position then, since the DR doesn't have unrestricted jus solis, specially because having so would mean giving Dominican nationality to every single children born of Haitian mothers here, which is a steep order given how our medical centers are the only ones available to them in the island (since the ones on the western gulag only cater to the few wealthy there). They either help the DR shoulder the costs of Haiti's socioeconomic ills, or else step aside and keep their silence.

And for the record, I have always been of the opinion that the other countries that have Dominican diasporans should tighten their doors/requirements as well, since taking the emigration option out of the table would be the only way in which islandwide revolution will be possible, IMHO. The current anarcho-disorder has to break somewhere, and making the island a modern day devil's island (a French Guyanan prison for the people not in the know here) is precisely the way to do it. Can't have an omelette without breaking a few eggs first...

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Wasn't that the guy that in Mexico City claimed to be Dominican and that the DR government refused to give him a passport, and when a Dominican news reporter in Mexico City asked him how was he allowed to travel to Mexico without a passport, he simply walked away without saying another word?

The funniest part was during his 'declaration' in Mexico City, claiming that among his brothers and sisters were some named Chocolate and Cocoa. Actually, let me see if I can find the video. Definitely one of the funniest things I've ever seen.