Documentation needed to travel to DR from USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Innessa

May 6, 2016
Afternoon. I am a permanent resident of the US. What documentation do I need to travel to DR for a short
vacation? My son was born in the USA and we are creating a passport for him. (I do not have a travel passport,
any other passport nor visa). What other than the "green card" do I need to show to enter DR?
thanks
Innessa

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Passport and green card. More importantly you need these to get back into the U.S.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
With what document did you travel to the US? You would need to contact your country's embassy or consulate to request one if you don't currently have one. Passports are the only internationally recognized travel document.

Innessa

May 6, 2016
I traveled to the US 25+ years ago. During that time, when you leave the country, you give up your citizenship and passport.
The Belarus embassy will not give it back. Getting back to the USA I just need my green card and Drivers license since I will only
be gone for 7 days (travel passport required for re-entry if more than 6 months). what else can I use to enter DR?

Innessa

May 6, 2016
I guess that is the frustrating part for me - everyone refers to 'your country'. My country is the USA - :)

Innessa

May 6, 2016
I do not have a passport. That is why I am posting this question. I absolutely hope no one takes this the wrong way that I
am rude by any means - but this is the frustrating part for me. I dont have a passport. Nor can I get one from a county I left over 25 years ago.
The US is my home. I have taken many cruise that go into international waters and Bahamas and only needed my green card and Drivers license.
Will that work to ENTER the DR? (entering the US is covered ) :)

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
I'm curious. Since you've lived in the states have you ever traveled to a foreign country recently? If so how did you re-enter the states without a passport?

Also can you not apply for a Belarus(sian) passport at the consul generals office in NY or Wash.?

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
let us be very clear: In order to enter the Dominican Republic you must have a valid passport from a country with which the Dominican Republic has
relations and agreements. Otherwise you would need a visa to enter.

I do not think that you will be visiting our beautiful country anytime soon. Sorry.

It is not what you want but what the DR has to have in order for you to enter...

HB

Jan 9, 2004
Afternoon. I am a permanent resident of the US. What documentation do I need to travel to DR for a short
vacation? My son was born in the USA and we are creating a passport for him. (I do not have a travel passport,
any other passport nor visa). What other than the "green card" do I need to show to enter DR?
thanks
Innessa

Contact the Dominican Embassy and ask.

Some countries will allow entry with just your green card and an additional ID (drivers license, state issued ID, etc.) and you may still need a visa. The problem is that after 9-11 everybody is demanding a passport as a control mechanism.

Going beyond that, you should apply for US citizenship....since you indicate you have been in the US for 25 years and possess a green card.

Your problem would not be re-entering the US, but entering another foreign country.

The link posted above to the form I-131 has nothing to do with you....unless you were planning to stay out of the country for longer than one year.

Call the Dominican Embassy first.

Lots of refugees are in your shoes...they have obtained a green card but no passport.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited:

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
In 2006 I could not find my passport and was able to travel just with birth certificate and drivers license. Those days are over. The Dominican Republic was one of the last countries to allow this. Not anymore.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I guess that is the frustrating part for me - everyone refers to 'your country'. My country is the USA - :)

Your country is whatever country you are a citizen of. That is where you have to apply for a passport. If your country is USA then go to the nearest passport office and apply for one. It costs about $135, and is valid for 10 years presently. Takes a couple of months to get, but I got one in less than 48 hours when I had an emergency situation.

Having spent 25 years in the USA you should be able to get citizenship easily. Check with the immigration office. I couldn't say what all is necessary, but I have held the hands of a dozen persons as they went thru the process. But the laws change all the time and the last time I went thru it was 1999.
Good luck
Der Fish

Last edited:

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I traveled to the US 25+ years ago. During that time, when you leave the country, you give up your citizenship and passport.
The Belarus embassy will not give it back. Getting back to the USA I just need my green card and Drivers license since I will only
be gone for 7 days (travel passport required for re-entry if more than 6 months). what else can I use to enter DR?

It doesn't make any sense to me that you have been in the USA for 25 plus years and consider the USA to be your home but have never bothered to get USA citizenship!!!!!!

If Belarus doesn't consider you a citizen and they won't give you a passport why haven't you gotten USA citizenship?

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
It doesn't make any sense to me that you have been in the USA for 25 plus years and consider the USA to be your home but have never bothered to get USA citizenship!!!!!!

If Belarus doesn't consider you a citizen and they won't give you a passport why haven't you gotten USA citizenship?
Good point. Something smells fishy hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.