Hot deals rent a car...

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
You need to post your full contact details before slandering or posting a negative review for a business on DR1.

Feel free to PM me your details.

In my experience Felix the owner is very client focused and get's lots of positive feedback.
I'm guessing your issue was a genuine mistake.

Maybe you should email them directly and give them the opportunity to respond to you rather than post on DR1.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Note to self. Do not deal with Muppets running rental car agencies.

Blueceo

Nov 1, 2015
Not surprising, I have had unbelievably bad experiences with a number of different rental car companies at SDQ. Every one of them have tried charging for little things when you bring the car back. Even with full insurance..

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Thanks for the Useful info.... Not to go off topic in any way. but as Blueceo in poster # 3 just alluded to... can someone explain to me WHY is it when you pay for FULL INSURANCE,
which is not cheap... they STILL insist on going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb when it is returned, looking for even the smallest Scratch,
Which is funny cuz they certainly do NOT go over the vehicle the same way to when when we are TAKING the Car out of he Park lot to document any scratches already ON it.

Just Seems like the whole Full boat insurance is a Total Scam, with probably a Huge Deductible that is hidden in fine print.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
I told him we had exchanged that info already in emails weeks ago and even gave him the flight number and time of arrival
I went to hertz and got a car within half an hour
so renters beware ...don't waste your time with this bunch of morons

I?m not trying to defend these guys in any way, as obviously they should have treated the OP better, but just reflecting this on my experience on a number of car rentals in the country:

If they are a smallish operation, just for the sake for them being in the DR (culture/habits/business customs), I would never expect/assume them to be able to keep a perfect record of any future reservations which span more than a few days forward. I would also never expect any small operation to recall anything from past emails. These two things work outside the DR, not inside.

I once, years ago, made a reservation (I was still very naive with the DR) in Europe, beforing leaving, to rent a car when I?d arrive from Santiago. The business had a nice website and all. When I arrived, the same thing happened what you describe above. Except that when I yelled at them in the phone on the airport that where are you, they sent a guy to pick me up really fast...

The service itself (outside the "reservation" part) was top notch, no issues with payments nor with the vehicle.

I?ve dealt with one particular smallish car rental for ages, and once I wanted to make an advance reservation, they directly told me that they will note it, but I should call them to confirm everything just a couple of days before. No emails, a call to the manager. No issues whatsover...

Expecting them to recall email communication from weeks ago just isn?t something I?d do in the DR. The mutual trust (business owner - customer) is just not that high with new customers there, that things like that might not even be taken seriously. Personal service on the other hand, if you know how to speak with them, yes.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
just some advice for anyone considering using hot deals rent a car....a number of months ago he advertised here and I reached out to him for prices ect ....when I decided to book my trip to santo domingo ...I contacted "felix" the boss of the car hire company and I booked my car with him ...a 2015 crv....price agreed on and we exchanged info...he said a rep from the company would meet me at the airport holding a sign with my name on it
I arrived this morning and lo and behold no rep from the company ...I called the office and they said they had no booking and I said I had spoken to felix...they would have him call me....when he called ...he asked what airport are you at ...I told him we had exchanged that info already in emails weeks ago and even gave him the flight number and time of arrival

You didn't give the rental company name so it would be difficult to consider avoiding them. Did you ask him to send you an e-mail confirmation of your reservation? Did you send him an e-mail reminder that you were arriving? You may not think this is necessary but if you are dealing with a private company and have not dealt with them before you should pro-active to make sure they show up. I am not putting the blame on you but I have gone this route and made sure that I had a guarantee that they would be at the airport when I arrived. After all this is the DR.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
You need to ensure you get a no-deductible - reputable places will offer it for a small extra daily charge.
FULL doesn't mean no excess for damage (the norm on most policies anywhere).

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
You need to ensure you get a no-deductible - reputable places will offer it for a small extra daily charge.
FULL doesn't mean no excess for damage (the norm on most policies anywhere).

I recently flew into AZS, El Catey. I believe the only rental car company is Sixt, who I had a reservation with. I planned on paying for this with my American Express. They cover the optional insurance so there was no need to pay additional for it. When I went to pick up the car I was told that I would have to pay over $100usd for optional coverage which was not optional. They would not give me the car without my approval for this. I took the car and when I got home I contacted American Express with my complaint. They investigated this and credited me back the money. Evidently because this is a franchise this owner can put in whatever requirements he wants. Buyer beware.

Jan 7, 2016
All the rental agencies here think that North Americans and Europeans drive like the Russians in those YouTube Videos about violent car crashes...makes them a little fearful.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
All the rental agencies here think that North Americans and Europeans drive like the Russians in those YouTube Videos about violent car crashes...makes them a little fearful.

Got a chuckle out of your comment. Drove in Europe, all over North America, and have been driving rentals in the DR for six winters. The chaos created by drivers in Rome or any other large European cities is nothing compared to the chaos and danger created by the car, truck, and moto drivers here. If I don't have one or two close calls every time I rent a car here, I get bored.
I always rent from a reputable company, mostly Budget because I can pick up the car at POP airport or walk to their office in Playa Dorada. The staff are courteous, always friendly, the cars are in good shape and the documentation they provide me is correct and adequate. My credit card covers the CDW. That saves me $20 a day. I get the third party liability insurance for $13 a day. It protects me if I hit a Dominican. My credit card has full vehicle replacement value up to $65,000 and it covers tire and windshield damage so I don't need the extra $4 a day glass and tire damage package. Anyone planing on renting a car in a foreign should get full details on what their credit card covers and then opt for what is not covered by their card. I never deal with local rental shops. My friends have and have had breakdowns with no assistance, had to pay for minor damage they didn't cause, and the vehicles they rented were in poor condition, bad batteries, poor brakes. You rent from these agencies at your peril.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Got a chuckle out of your comment. Drove in Europe, all over North America, and have been driving rentals in the DR for six winters. The chaos created by drivers in Rome or any other large European cities is nothing compared to the chaos and danger created by the car, truck, and moto drivers here. If I don't have one or two close calls every time I rent a car here, I get bored.
I always rent from a reputable company, mostly Budget because I can pick up the car at POP airport or walk to their office in Playa Dorada. The staff are courteous, always friendly, the cars are in good shape and the documentation they provide me is correct and adequate. My credit card covers the CDW. That saves me $20 a day. I get the third party liability insurance for $13 a day. It protects me if I hit a Dominican. My credit card has full vehicle replacement value up to $65,000 and it covers tire and windshield damage so I don't need the extra $4 a day glass and tire damage package. Anyone planing on renting a car in a foreign should get full details on what their credit card covers and then opt for what is not covered by their card. I never deal with local rental shops. My friends have and have had breakdowns with no assistance, had to pay for minor damage they didn't cause, and the vehicles they rented were in poor condition, bad batteries, poor brakes. You rent from these agencies at your peril.

I have also driven in several countries in Europe, perhaps not as extensively as you , and I have to concur.
the Dr is the ONLY country where you have to routinely be on the Lookout and careful not to hit,, Chickens, dogs of every possible mixed Breed, some of which seem to be Tired of how Life is Treating them, and they just seem to want you to END it for them,
Double and triple Parked Motos, with a Truck PASSING traffic from the other side, giving you the option of either threading the needle, or for sure taking out the triple parked Moto.
and Last but certainly NO Least... NAKED BABIES , who strangely enough seem to know exactly where they are going, and no one even blinks an Eye..
This is all very NORMAL in the DR.. and on Main Roads mind you.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
And let's not forget the joys of the country roads. Cattle roaming free, the odd donkey that broke its ground rope, potholes invisible after a rain or at night big enough to rip your tires or damage the front end, etc. After 6 winters here, I figure I can do the Paris-Dakar desert rally blindfolded. The only thing I would have to keep an eye out for is the odd Bedouin riding his camel. lol!

Alexis Renti

May 11, 2016
just some advice for anyone considering using hot deals rent a car....a number of months ago he advertised here and I reached out to him for prices ect ....when I decided to book my trip to santo domingo ...I contacted "felix" the boss of the car hire company and I booked my car with him ...a 2015 crv....price agreed on and we exchanged info...he said a rep from the company would meet me at the airport holding a sign with my name on it
I arrived this morning and lo and behold no rep from the company ...I called the office and they said they had no booking and I said I had spoken to felix...they would have him call me....when he called ...he asked what airport are you at ...I told him we had exchanged that info already in emails weeks ago and even gave him the flight number and time of arrival

Sorry for your bad experience Mr. Irishpaddy! I have used Hot Deals Rent a Car before, and they have a 5 stars service. This is my favorite agency in the DR.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Interesting 1st post........
Could you please show everyone {a link) where this 5 Star rating comes from......

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
well, this is pretty transparent. two newbies singing a rhapsody about this rental agency. first post, at that.

hmmm..

drny4000

May 11, 2016

HOT DEALS RENT A CAR. This is a surprise. I've been renting from this place for three or four years now. The level of service that I have experienced has not just been acceptable, but actually amazing! I have spoken to and personally met Felix a number of times; he's a really nice guy, speaks perfect English and always seems genuinely concerned that everything goes smoothly with my rental... even has given me all sorts of other tips about where to go and how to get by in the DR. From your post, it sounds like you're pretty angry... lol... and I guess I would be too if that happened to me after a long flight, but I'm guessing you may not have given him an chance to resolve the problem, because he has always seemed to have people and cars stationed at every airport.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
New poster appearing out of nowhere to defend a business. I think that its safe to say DRNY4000= Felix