just got a call from danilo...

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
few days ago i read that as a part of PLD campaign people were receiving calls with recording of danilo medina asking them to vote for PLD:
Te habla Danilo Medina, espero que te encuentres bien t? y toda tu familia, me alegra poder hablarte. Como sabes, hemos avanzado mucho en estos cuatro a?os, pero tambi?n sabemos que podemos hacer mucho m?s en los pr?ximos 4, porque para m?, atender tus necesidades y las de tu familia es lo m?s importante que puedo hacer como presidente. Espero contar nuevamente con tu confianza para poder seguir avanzando juntos. Por eso quiero pedirte una vez m?s tu voto en estas elecciones. Este 15 de mayo vota por el PLD, marca la casilla 2 en la boleta A, B y C. Cuento contigo y t? puedes sin dudas contar siempre conmigo, gracias.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...ar-por-el-pld-sorprende-a-electores-YD3630076

to my great surprise earlier today i received this call myself (not that i can vote anyways). anyone else? i wonder how they get the numbers to call...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
few days ago i read that as a part of PLD campaign people were receiving calls with recording of danilo medina asking them to vote for PLD:
Te habla Danilo Medina, espero que te encuentres bien t? y toda tu familia, me alegra poder hablarte. Como sabes, hemos avanzado mucho en estos cuatro a?os, pero tambi?n sabemos que podemos hacer mucho m?s en los pr?ximos 4, porque para m?, atender tus necesidades y las de tu familia es lo m?s importante que puedo hacer como presidente. Espero contar nuevamente con tu confianza para poder seguir avanzando juntos. Por eso quiero pedirte una vez m?s tu voto en estas elecciones. Este 15 de mayo vota por el PLD, marca la casilla 2 en la boleta A, B y C. Cuento contigo y t? puedes sin dudas contar siempre conmigo, gracias.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...ar-por-el-pld-sorprende-a-electores-YD3630076

to my great surprise earlier today i received this call myself (not that i can vote anyways). anyone else? i wonder how they get the numbers to call...

Last night after 9:30 milady's cell phone number rang and she answered it and burst out laughing. "El presidente llamo a mi!" An hour ago the landline rang and Danilo was speaking to me!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
If gringos are getting the call as well as voters, have they used JCE records or phone company records?
Taxpayers' money or party funds?
DR1 News:
Did you get the call?
Voters are getting a telephone call with a recorded message from President Danilo Medina encouraging them to vote for him. As reported in Diario Libre, if the person does not take the call from the unidentified caller, it leaves a voice message.
The message includes the following statement from President Medina: "Caring for your needs and those of your family is the most important thing a President can do. I hope I can count on your trust to continue moving ahead together and for that I would like to ask once again for your vote in these elections. On 15 May vote PLD. Mark box 2 on the A, B and C ballots. I am counting on you and you can, without doubt, always count on me. Thank you."
PLD National District candidate for senator Reynaldo Pared Perez is also making telephone reminder and voter motivation calls to voters.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I know people are making a lot of noise about these calls...yet in other countries this sort of call is completely normal...sometimes the candidate calls, but also others may call urging voters to vote for him/her...Some calls are disguised as polls and actually spread damaging information about the opponent...(Does the fact that Mr. X did drug in college make you more or less likely to vote for him, etc.)

A famous case happened during the 2000 Republican nomination competition, involving GW Bush and Sen. McCain.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
they use a random number generator.

I don't know how they do it, but as an absolute minimum they should control for area codes (which wouldn't be too hard to do, since there are only a few in the DR). Even that would be inefficient since it would result in calls to people who are not eligible, such as minors and foreigners.

If people indeed are getting calls overseas (I am not sure they are), it may be the campaign has a list of phone numbers that (supposedly) belong to Dominicans who reside overseas who ARE able to vote (overseas).

I don't believe they'd go as far as dialing overseas numbers at random, since the vast majority of those receiving the calls wouldn't even be able to understand it (let alone act on it by voting for the caller).

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't know how they do it, but as an absolute minimum they should control for area codes (which wouldn't be too hard to do, since there are only a few in the DR). Even that would be inefficient since it would result in calls to people who are not eligible, such as minors and foreigners.

If people indeed are getting calls overseas (I am not sure they are), it may be the campaign has a list of phone numbers that (supposedly) belong to Dominicans who reside overseas who ARE able to vote (overseas).

I don't believe they'd go as far as dialing overseas numbers at random, since the vast majority of those receiving the calls wouldn't even be able to understand it (let alone act on it by voting for the caller).

i am not sure how the generator is programmed, but the numbers are randomly called.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
i am not sure how the generator is programmed, but the numbers are randomly called.

Picking the numbers at random (from a list generated following some logic) makes sense. Just generating numbers at random to be called (even within the Dominican area codes) doesn't.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Picking the numbers at random (from a list generated following some logic) makes sense. Just generating numbers at random to be called (even within the Dominican area codes) doesn't.

random is random. there is no such thing as logical random.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
random is random. there is no such thing as logical random.
Wrong.

You can choose at random from something that isn't random. It is done all the time. That is how most election polls are done. The voter list is NOT random, but you choose at random from the list.

The choice may also be at random with restrictions, for example, x% may be randomly-chosen seniors, y% may be randomly-chosen under-30's, z % percent may be randomly-chosen Blacks, etc.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Wrong.

You can choose at random from something that isn't random. It is done all the time. That is how most election polls are done. The voter list is NOT random, but you choose at random from the list.

The choice may also be at random with restrictions, for example, x% may be randomly-chosen seniors, y% may be randomly-chosen under-30's, z % percent may be randomly-chosen Blacks, etc.

you win, Virgo. you have to be insane if you believe anyone is going to waste time discussing how political campaigns program calling machines.

by the way, polling and random calling are two different things.

rfp

Gold
Jul 5, 2010
I responded with a well thought out response to a previous thread. I regret it, I truly hopes that he goes away.