Article about Haitians who have left the DR

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Typical bull**** article hating on the DR. Makes no mention of the Haitian
government?s inability to function and provide for its citizens.

Had the Dominican Republic not been so willing to help by letting hundreds
of thousands of Haitians flood the country after the earthquake to live and work..
It probably would have been several more years before they even thought about
the ?regularization? of people who have been living here illegally.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004

of thousands of Haitians flood the country after the earthquake to live and work..

You took the words out of my mouth (fingers). Why is it reporters take the time to investigate what happens on this side but there is rarely any mention of how the Haitian government has dropped the ball in regards to properly documenting their people?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i will concede that by living here Haitians do have an opportunity to do better financially than they do in Haiti.

unlike you, i do not consider it altruism. it is an economic expedient known as cheap labor.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
it is an economic expedient known as cheap labor.

After having breakfast this morning I walked from my beautiful barrio of La Joya over to
the huge open air flea market they host every Thursday in Pueblo Nuevo (Santiago). I saw countless
numbers of self employed Haitians selling their wares from baskets and stalls to mostly Dominican
customers. I fail to see the economic expedient known as cheap labor being the only opportunity or
window of hope for those Haitians who choose the call the Dominican Republic home, regardless of
their legal status.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
After having breakfast this morning I walked from my beautiful barrio of La Joya over to
the huge open air flea market they host every Thursday in Pueblo Nuevo (Santiago). I saw countless
numbers of self employed Haitians selling their wares from baskets and stalls to mostly Dominican
customers. I fail to see the economic expedient known as cheap labor being the only opportunity or
window of hope for those Haitians who choose the call the Dominican Republic home, regardless of
their legal status.

i did not say that every Haitian is a part of the cheap labor brigade. however, the building trades and agriculture will collapse if all the Haitians go home.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
"Haitians make up 10 % of the population in the D.R".... I will bet its a lot higher than that. Ever wonder why they come here in droves, cross the border for a day trip.They are not going anywhere. Certain types of agriculture ( sugar cane) are extremely labor intensive. It takes a certain kind of man to do that job, most people would not last an hour. Most are extremely hard working and punctual and honest. If a crime is committed it is usually petty theft and they pay dearly as locals will gang beat them and blame them for todo.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
It may be cheap labour but all Haitians that are here illegally know that they are illegally and thldren here also know rhey are subject to deportation. Those that have children here also know their children arent Dominican. They are also smart enought to know that lying may help their cause as they have nothing to lose.
It is a sad state of affairs beought on by no government in Haiti, mismanaged aid, bad luck, ...etc. Not really much you can blame on the Dominicans.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The Haitian Government should be ashamed of the fact that their citizens feel so hopeless that they have to leave the country to find a some sort of relief. Sad to say but the UN needs to place an administrative team in Haiti to stabalize the country and provide some hope.

people emigrate every day. from every country...

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
The Haitian Government should be ashamed of the fact that their citizens feel so hopeless that they have to leave the country to find a some sort of relief. Sad to say but the UN needs to place an administrative team in Haiti to stabalize the country and provide some hope.

Should the Dominican government be ashamed that there as many Dominicans in New York as there in Santo Domingo?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Should the Dominican government be ashamed that there as many Dominicans in New York as there in Santo Domingo?

Could this be a case of necessity (Haitians) vs greed? (Yo! I used to live in da Bronx) :cheeky:

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008

If those Dominicans were to not have a single paper on their persons acknowledging their identity, it should. As it is, the majority of Haitians currently in Haiti don't have any document whatsoever validating their legal existence even in their own country, so they aren't any different from the birds inhabiting their remaining forests or the fish on their waters in this account.

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014

I have explained the flaw, to several Dominicans, in only seeking a new life in one of the most expensive cost of living areas in the USA. Chances of success are more favourable with better research into other areas.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have explained the flaw, to several Dominicans, in only seeking a new life in one of the most expensive cost of living areas in the USA. Chances of success are more favourable with better research into other areas.

Not sure how that's a flaw. Some of the Dominicans are illegal, and if they get caught they get sent back, but they don't bitch about it or say they are being treated unfairly or racist...etc. The majority are legal immigrants or green card holders. We just lost two students today who are on there way to Queens on Sunday.

airgordo

Bronze
Jun 24, 2015
Not sure how that's a flaw. Some of the Dominicans are illegal, and if they get caught they get sent back, but they don't bitch about it or say they are being treated unfairly or racist...etc. The majority are legal immigrants or green card holders. We just lost two students today who are on there way to Queens on Sunday.

Exactly...and you will not see any Dominicans Anywhere asking for a citizenship they don't have! in general people of this country will follow whatever rule is there to get their papers, as citizens, sorted, that is among the very first steps they take.