Haiti, a Caribbean country, is joining the African Union

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I?m trying not to laugh. Does this mean visa free travel for all of the Haitians wanting to visit Africa?

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Haiti needs all the help they can get. I for one would love to see a stronger Haiti. I hope this is a small step in a positive direction.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Having lived most of my adult life in Africa the expression 'Organisation of African Unity' always gives me a laugh..

A perfect double oxymoron..

Bonne chance Haiti..

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
I?m trying not to laugh. Does this mean visa free travel for all of the Haitians wanting to visit Africa?

It isn't as crazy as it sounds. They may have redefined the role of the organization to include all "Black" countries (sort of like African American = Black American).
Some racist Internet idiots are actually calling for the DR to join that organization as well (under the 'one drop' rule). Perhaps they will go after Jamaica next, as one of the most populous islands of predominantly African background.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
wow where is the a u? the a.u. is basically african???from the continent of africa??? evan if you actually dont have a space on the continent ..you can join??? doesnt make sense...

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
That's interesting.

Reminds me of a time when I was in college. I don't remember what the discussion was about but an Indian classmate was asked if she knew where Haiti was and she said yes, in Africa. The reaction by some of the Haitians in the class was priceless.

Much more recently I saw an interview in a Dominican channel of a French woman representing some NGO. One thing she said, when asked about what she thought about Haiti and the DR-Haiti issues, she said that one of the problems in Haiti is a segment of the political class that doesn't accept that they are not in Africa. I never quite understood what she meant by that, but I wouldn't be surprised if Haiti's joining the African Union was part of a project by that political segment that she was referring to.

Last edited:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I personally think it would be out of the frying pan into the fire. I have no idea how Haiti can get onto its feet again when it has degraded so much land and as yet has not recovered from the earthquake . If they have another disaster, I think many potential donors will hesitate to give more aid because of the poor administration . It is a tragedy .

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I personally think it would be out of the frying pan into the fire. I have no idea how Haiti can get onto its feet again when it has degraded so much land and as yet has not recovered from the earthquake . If they have another disaster, I think many potential donors will hesitate to give more aid because of the poor administration . It is a tragedy .

I agree, it's a shame, but their goose is cooked. After all the stories about millions disappearing, most will think twice. That story about Red Cross building only 6 houses there after the quake will have ripple effects for some time.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Haiti needs all the help they can get. I for one would love to see a stronger Haiti. I hope this is a small step in a positive direction.

I don't think Haiti needs Africa's help.... In Africa they can't even help themselves... They kill each other, invade one and other, destroy the land and starve their people...

I'm wondering what good would that do for Haiti. What Haiti needs is a "take over". Someone should take over Haiti and put some order in there. Organize, build, create jobs.. etc... Do something with that place. Since they got rid of the colonists, they have been sinking lower and lower, for over 200 years.... Maybe it's time for a change ?? Maybe they can't do it by themselves ??? Just sayin...

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I don't think Haiti needs Africa's help.... In Africa they can't even help themselves... They kill each other, invade one and other, destroy the land and starve their people...
That's a hell of a generalization for a huge continent of many different countries. However, Haiti would fit into that stereotype quite well.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
That's a hell of a generalization for a huge continent of many different countries. However, Haiti would fit into that stereotype quite well.

my sentiments, exactly. they kill each other...invade one another.

all righty, then.

Jan 7, 2016
Port Au Prince will become the new NIGERIA of the western hemisphere...when I get my first email from a "Haitian Prince" saying he needs me to deposit money in a bank account so he can transfer me "millions"...what a thought!

islandhopping

Nov 11, 2014
http://www.international.gc.ca/development-developpement/countries-pays/haiti.aspx?lang=eng
Tangible results in a country like Haiti take time, effort, and cooperation.

I feel the exact same way.

In the AU there are a few countries which do function sufficiently. South Africa, The Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Malawi,... the rest possess detrimental aspects, however they are more functional than Haiti. Senegal, Tanzania, Egypt.
There is always something to learn, even avoiding performing something the wrong way, is a valuable lesson.

It is seldom, a group of people are doing everything poorly. In Haiti's case, it is the leaders, a lot of NGOs and influential family doing enough detriment to overshadow the minor successes.

Slowly over decades, North American and Europe are migrating toward the same direction.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I don't think Haiti needs Africa's help.... In Africa they can't even help themselves...
They kill each other, invade one and other, destroy the land and starve their people...

The very last thing Haiti needs is (west) Africans coming into the country. It will do them
more harm than good.

Naked_Snake

Bronze
Sep 2, 2008
I'm wondering what good would that do for Haiti. What Haiti needs is a "take over". Someone should take over Haiti and put some order in there. Organize, build, create jobs.. etc... Do something with that place. Since they got rid of the colonists, they have been sinking lower and lower, for over 200 years.... Maybe it's time for a change ?? Maybe they can't do it by themselves ??? Just sayin...

To say this out loud today is a hatecrime of the greatest magnitude, yet their inability to govern themselves time and again only helps to give weight and credence to the assertion.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
To say this out loud today is a hatecrime of the greatest magnitude, yet their inability to govern themselves time and again only helps to give weight and credence to the assertion.

'Assertion'?

Have a look at the place..

To those who say that there are countries in Africa which function correctly,what are you using as a bench mark? Even SA is going down,slower than the others but still down.Rwanda is a relative success story but it was difficult to get much worse.
Haiti needs Africa like a hole in the head and Africa needs Haiti for what exactly?

Maybe to join the basket-case club...