3 wheel Tuk tuk style motoconchos

Manzana

Jan 23, 2007
In many countries with economic development and traffic similar to the RD, the moto taxi biz is dominated by 3 wheel moto cabs with a roof and a lot more capacity than a two wheeler. These are inexpensive and made by the same Chinese industry that sells a lot of motorcycles in the RD.

At least a few years ago these were pretty uncommon from what I saw. Any ideas why?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There is at least one place in Puerto Plata where I have seen them for sale, but the price is close to $7000 US. There were two such on the streets here a couple of years ago, but i ain't seen either one for a while.
Der Fish

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I see a few people using them in the mornings to transport
vegetables aound La Joya, Santiago.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Can't do wheelies on them.

Guatemala has a bunch in the cities and at the borders. ALso Medellin Colombia used to have them at the grocery stores etc to drive one's purchases home. Ape was the brand name of the one a brother-in-law had. It had been made in India.
Der Fish

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
They become semi-permanent evil-smelling smoke-generating road blocks very rapidly..

Just hope they don't catch on over here.Traffic would be even worse than it is already.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I too wondered about the lack of Tuk-Tuks when I first visited the DR about 14 years ago after having been to Asia and using them. If they have not caught on by now, I suppose they never will.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I too wondered about the lack of Tuk-Tuks when I first visited the DR about 14 years ago after having been to Asia and using them. If they have not caught on by now, I suppose they never will.

Five years ago I knew a Canadian who made a sidecar type of carrier for his motorbike "to show the Dominicans how it is done!" Not too many of them caught on! He has since removed it.
Der Fish

Tom0910

Sep 28, 2015
Can't weave in and out of tight traffic like you can on a moto. Or put it in your house at night so it doesn't get robbed.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
In many countries with economic development and traffic similar to the RD, the moto taxi biz is dominated by 3 wheel moto cabs with a roof and a lot more capacity than a two wheeler. These are inexpensive and made by the same Chinese industry that sells a lot of motorcycles in the RD.

At least a few years ago these were pretty uncommon from what I saw. Any ideas why?

Dont they make tuk tuks where a guy actually pulls the tuk tuk or runs with it..... could this work in the DR? Ive seen quite a few strapping lads that could pull one of these tuk tuks

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Dont they make tuk tuks where a guy actually pulls the tuk tuk or runs with it..... could this work in the DR? Ive seen quite a few strapping lads that could pull one of these tuk tuks

They had a few of those in Ft Lauderdale FL at one point in time and my lady of the month then loved to park a long ways from the venue where we were going and ride with one of them. It was basically an evening thing to go to the opera etc...
Der Fish

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
Wife and I took one (motoconcho) from Ciudad Samana to Las Galeras several years ago. The motoconchista stoped at a colmado first so we picked up two grandes for us and a coke for him. Very nice trip and for about half the price of a taxi.

wbr