Fishing in Punta Cana?

420dude

Feb 7, 2002
I love to fish! I am very intrested in understanding the type of fishing that is avaible out of Punta Cana.
I have caught Sail-fish in Cancun and Halibut on Vancouver island and I would love to catch a Marlin.
Does anyone have any experince fishing in the waters off of Punta Cana?
What could I expect to catch?
I am going to be in Punta Cana between Feb. 28th and March 14th. Staying at the Barclo Bravaro Beach Resort.
Does anyone know of a charter that they would recomend.
I dont want to go for just a boat ride, but I know that comming home empty handed is a part of fishing.
Please let me know.
Thank you.

El Gordo

Jan 1, 2002
Hmmmm...

You're timing isn't the greatest.

The Mona Passage, between the DR & it's neighbour Puerto Rico has some excellent Marlin fishing but your timing is wrong.

Winter brings colder water and the bait changes, the Marlin leave for warmer waters and that's that.

There are now some decent boats at the Marina in Punta Cana-although it must be said that the best boats come over from PR to fish the season as it makes the daily run the grounds that much shorter.

So in the end you might hook into something-Dorado/small Tuna/Sail-anything you do catch will be killed unless you VOICEFEROUSLY object/offer a bribe for it's life before hand/preferably both.

The DR isn't on anyone's list of decent Sportfishing destinations for a good reason-crews are generally poorly trained/paid amateurs who are used to doing Booze Criuses/fishing equipment was old when Moses built the Ark/ boats are scows of the oldest/slowest type.

Vancouver Island it ain't (!)