Family hotels in Romana?

May 29, 2006
Looking for family friendly beachfront hotels in Romana for my brother and his family next Christmas. Ideally with a pool. Any reccommendations? Anyone stay at Costa Caribe?

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
You should be more specific when you say La Romana. As far as I know, Costa Caribe is in Juan Dolio.

La Romana the city does not have any beachfront hotels to speak of. The beach is rocky and there is no reason to go there except for pescado and drinking.

And, La Romana certainly does not have a beachfront hotel if you mean an AI resort.

You can check Tripadvisor for reviews of typical resorts that say La Romana - but are really many miles away. For example, Dreams La Romana is closer to Bayahibe than La Romana. And, Bahia Principe La Romana is closer to San Pedro.

There are a few typical AI resorts near Bayahibe and Dominicus. 30 minutes driving time from La Romana. For most of those, you need to search using Bayahibe.

May 29, 2006
We live Hig?ey, but they want to be on the beach. We also have to arrange transport to Hig?ey for a day trip and if we tack on renting a van with a driver, the costs start to get out of control.

None of them speak any Spanish. Glad we have time to work on logistics.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Looking for family friendly beachfront hotels in Romana for my brother and his family next Christmas. Ideally with a pool. Any reccommendations? Anyone stay at Costa Caribe?

I google hotels in La Romana and Grand Bahia Principe La Romana came up. This is an all inclusive and looks very nice however around Christmas this place will not be cheap unless you book very early. I would suggest, depending on where they are departing from, that they look into A-I at their end which also include air fare. Depending on what their budget is you may have to go with a smaller property.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
There was a similar thread for Las Terrenas a week or so ago. This seems to be a reoccurring theme of late. What is a "family friendly hotel?" Is that even a real thing? A place where every guest feels your young kids are as adorable as you do? A place where after 15 cuba libres, even though you can no longer see your kids, they are safe?

To me, the DR is Ft. Lauderdale during Spring Break year round. Disney World, comes to mind when I see the words "family friendly" not the DR. There is not much here for young children beyond the beach, sand and Shirley Temples. When someone is looking for "family anything" what specifically are they looking to find?

Jeepito

Dec 22, 2011
If you're in Higuey, Bayahibe sounds like a more viable option. Grand Bahia Prince/Playa Nueva, aside from the hotel, there are villas and apartments you could rent.
All the homes come with a private pool, the apartments with common area pools, plus there's a resident Beach Club with a huuuge pool and spa that you'll have access to.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
In Bayahibe, there are Apart-Hotels or Cabanas Touristicas for very low prices. Cabanas (backpacker style) are $40 a night,
Apartments can be had for $70. You dont have to do the All Inclusive if you dont want to.

Hotel Bayahibe had a pretty good deal that includes breakfast at the
dock and beach chairs on the public beach. It was $72 a night .

At Dominicus, 5 minutes away, there are also similiar option, and the better Dominicus Public Beach. $60 per night or rent an apartment for
$600 per week, with a pool.

The beach from all the places mentioned is only a 5 minute walk. Bayahibe has more options for meals, and a safe community,
family oriented. Dominicus has much less of a community, as most people are vacationing.

This location is where you want to be for that good beach,

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
We live Hig?ey, but they want to be on the beach. We also have to arrange transport to Hig?ey for a day trip and if we tack on renting a van with a driver, the costs start to get out of control.

None of them speak any Spanish. Glad we have time to work on logistics.

If you live in Higuey, it is just as easy to get to Bavaro from there. How is he traveling - car, taxi, gua gua? If he flies into PC, he is at his destination already. SDQ is much farther away from all these places, except Juan Dolio/Boca Chica. Sometimes cheaper to fly into SDQ, but not out. Look carefully at fares. It is sometimes cheaper to fly out of PC.

Better beaches in Bavaro/Punta Cana area and there are many more choices of accommodations. More crowded than Bayahibe/Dominicus though. If you specify budget, people here will be able to direct you maybe to the best choice. Of course, Christmas is the most expensive time to be in any tourist area of the DR.

Jan 7, 2016
The new Nicolodian (sp) resort at Playa Macao is accessible by bus/guagua from Higuey, Probably cheaper than Juan Dolio or Bayhibe. The resort is totally family oriented, so they wouldn't be disappointed.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
There are No beachfront hotels in la Romana ..but there are many friendly hotels and hostels almost on the beach in Bayahibe..right in el pueblo .But they really get heavily booked out so I think it best to take an esay drive and inspect. Also you could go to Boca de Yuma which has numerous guest house type places..but it is very quiet.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
Bavaro definitely has more options. From all inclusive to condos. You could even spend a couple of days in an AI at the beginning or end of you stay. Flights into PUJ tend to be cheaper and more frequent as well. At least in my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

May 29, 2006
Bavaro sounds better than Bayahibe. The beach at Bayahibe has no waves and they charge US$1 to use the bathroom. The Marina shops are obscenely overpriced. On the plus side, there's the isla Saona trip, which might work if we can get the local price.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
The beach at bayahibe has a weird flat bottom, no waves, , but its safe and family friendly. I think they have the swimming caves nearby as well.
But, dominicus beach has waves and is pretty sweet. Its also not as packed as the punta cana beachea.

May 29, 2006
Mi esposa and I went to La Sirenis for a mini honeymoon. Close to a third of the guests were kids under 12. The water park adds a lot of value to the stay and it's a very nice facility. A few minor complaints for me, but mi esposa loved it all. I get tired of buffet pretty quick.

[video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXqjLdth2ZA[/video]

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
The problem with the Gran Bahaia/ Playa Nuvea is that it is fairly close to a large river. If it rains heavy the beach turns to mud and has more garbage than normal. Which is a lot.
If your that close to Higuey there are several new AI resorts in Uvero Alto including Nickelodeon.
Bavaro is also only about 45 minutes from Higuey and they have countless AI resorts