Me from Somalia my fren

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Now hundreds of migrants from the Caribbean fly 6,000 miles to Turkey in bid to enter Europe while posing as being from Somalia
They fly to Istanbul then perilously cross Aegean Sea to Greek islands
On arrival some claim to be from Somalia, Syria or even Afghanistan
They say there are cheap flights and they don?t need visas for Turkey

Hundreds of migrants from the Caribbean are travelling more than 6,000 miles to enter the European Union through Greece, the Mail can reveal.

Instead of trying to get into the United States a few hundred miles to the north, many are making the journey across the Atlantic to Istanbul in Turkey.

From there, they travel along the coast to join thousands of refugees on the perilous crossing of the Aegean to the Greek islands.

On arrival some claim to be from Somalia or even from Syria or Afghanistan in an attempt to gain asylum and get free travel across most of the EU.

Last year almost 400 migrants came to Greece from the Caribbean, the vast majority from the Dominican Republic.

And a further 150 have arrived from the Dominican Republic in the first three months of this year.

It confirms suspicions that economic migrants are using the European refugee crisis to enter the continent. More than a million people tried to enter the EU by sea last year, with many making the boat crossing from Turkey to Greek islands such as Lesbos.

EU border guard Anna Smigielska, whose job is to interview migrants arriving on Lesbos to identify their nationality, said: ?For us it seems strange, but they say it?s one of the easiest ways to get into Europe. I asked some of them, how is it you are coming this route?

?They say there are cheap flights and they don?t need visas for Turkey, so it is not so hard.?

In one case, she said, a migrant from Haiti ? on the same Caribbean island as the Dominican Republic ? claimed to be from Syria.

She said: ?We kept saying, ?You don?t speak Arabic and, frankly, you don?t look like you are from Syria,? but he kept insisting he was. Finally, we said, ?You really have to say you are from somewhere other than Syria.? He replied, ?OK, I?m from Afghanistan.? Only after a long time did he admit to being from Haiti.?

They fly from the holiday resort of Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic to Schiphol airport in Amsterdam and transfer for a flight to Istanbul, where they are believed to pay smuggling gangs to organise passage over sea to Greece.

A spokesman for EU border agency Frontex said: ?Although geographically it is an extreme form of travel to go from the Dominican Republic, once a route is established by genuine refugees other economic migrants tend to follow because they know it is a way.?

Similarly, many migrants from Morocco travel through Greece rather than crossing the Mediterranean to Spain. Concerns about Caribbean migrants entering Europe through Turkey were first raised five years ago by Dutch officials.

It was sparked by Dutch carrier KLM noting the high number of ?no shows? on return flights from Istanbul to the Dominican Republic via Amsterdam, which travellers from the island are required to book before entering Turkey.

And Frontex said in 2012 a group arrived on a land border between Greece and Turkey, refusing to speak other than to say that they were from Somalia. Only when a translator spoke to them in their native Spanish did they realise they were from the Dominican Republic.

The majority arriving on the Greek islands are from Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq. But last year, the Greek coastguard also registered 351 migrants from the Dominican Republic, eight from Haiti, two Cubans, one Jamaican, two from Honduras and two from Colombia.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nter-Europe-posing-Somalia.html#ixzz48nrZPl1j
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Some Dominicans were arrested Greece earlier this month, this explains it.
Dominicans arrested in Greece
The Greek police have arrested three Dominicans who were trying to fly to Athens from the island of Lesbos using false documentation.
The Dominicans, a 38-year old male and two women aged 20 and 47, were intercepted by a police checkpoint at the Mitilene airport in Lesbos.
All three are now in custody charged with violating immigration law and having fake documentation.
http://www.listindiario.com/las-mun...entaban-viajar-a-atenas-con-documentos-falsos

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008
"It was sparked by Dutch carrier KLM noting the high number of ‘no shows’ on return flights from Istanbul to the Dominican Republic via Amsterdam"

KLM does not fly to this island, nor has any charter companies that do. They are partnered with Air France.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think from immigration point of view 400 dominicans are better that 4,000 syrians.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
"It was sparked by Dutch carrier KLM noting the high number of ‘no shows’ on return flights from Istanbul to the Dominican Republic via Amsterdam"

KLM does not fly to this island, nor has any charter companies that do. They are partnered with Air France.

And if the flights stop over in Amsterdam, wouldn't they need Schengen visas anyway?

jd_mine

Sep 24, 2003
And if the flights stop over in Amsterdam, wouldn't they need Schengen visas anyway?

No, since Turkey is not part of EU their stay in Amsterdam is just in the transfer hall, going from one gate to the next without actually entering the country. So they don't need the visa. If they did try to leave the airport they would be denied entry. And this Turkey route is a real thing. My half-sister in law and her marido also suddenly had that scheme in their heads. So it is now apparently a well known route n RD.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
wondering what kind of benefits are available to them
I saw a media report on the lucky ones who get into the Netherlands. Monthly financial assistance, temporary housing, medical, dental etc. Good for a period of one year, I think. Also, Assistance with job seeking and retraining and language skills. So the hazardous journey is probably worth the risk for some of the migrants, regardless of which country they come from.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
I find it shocking that Dominicans would go to such lengths to 'escape' the DR.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Selling trinkets on the beach all day in the sun or sitting in an apartment somewhere else getting cash every month, free job retraining, medical care, dental care, eye glasses, I don't see the logic flaw.

"If you offer it, they will come..."

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
It's not people from $300,000 apartments in Piantini who leave the island to go to Europe. So if in Europe they offer cash and medical care for the dumbest and laziest Dominicans, it's good for us here, less trash here... maybe all windshield washers and other trash will go there with one way ticket.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I saw a media report on the lucky ones who get into the Netherlands. Monthly financial assistance, temporary housing, medical, dental etc. Good for a period of one year, I think. Also, Assistance with job seeking and retraining and language skills. So the hazardous journey is probably worth the risk for some of the migrants, regardless of which country they come from.

I doubt it that Dominicans would get into Holland on a refugee visa, they look to Latin.
The ones that get into Holland are Moroccans, Tunisians and Algerians. They are Arabs so are difficult to detect.
Albanians also try to get a free ride but the get send back real quick.

Gringo Starr

*** I love DR1! ***
Aug 11, 2014
Yes, any country can use more hair stylist's and publico drivers, no country needs more terrorists.

I knew one Dominican who did the same (DR->Turkey->EU) after his deportation from US back to DR for drug traffic related crime in US. I don't think he will work as a driver in Europe. And even not in a Kebab cafe like some Syrians.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I doubt it that Dominicans would get into Holland on a refugee visa, they look to Latin.
The ones that get into Holland are Moroccans, Tunisians and Algerians. They are Arabs so are difficult to detect.
Albanians also try to get a free ride but the get send back real quick.

When I lived in Oud West, Amsterdam we had lots of Turks and (cockroaches) Moroccans.

exeurodominican

Feb 1, 2014

I doubt that they get these benefits because they got in illegal. To become legal visa they need to have at least someone to back them up financially etc. and do a Dutch language examine successfully at the Dutch embassy in Santo Domingo. I other words, no way JOS? alias El Tonto.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
I think back to the late 70's and early 80's when I travelled freely, safely and cheaply in North African Muslim countries and how times have changed since then due to things like the Arab Spring and the Muslim Brotherhood political intervention in places like Egypt and Turkey where I've also travelled freely years ago. These countries were under the heel of ruthless corrupt dictators and sectarian violence was almost non existent. As cruel as these despots were, they knew, from a political perspective, they had to keep the anti-government sentiment under control or risk sectarian violence and civil war.

Given what's happened in these countries, the never ending useless wars, and the tremendous loss of life, it comes as no surprise to me that migrants are willing to risk everything including their lives to try to escape to Europe and beyond.

What is sad, is that during the dawn of civilization these countries had science, architecture, mathematics, etc. Which through time was integrated into our current society. One example is hospitals. Muslim doctors were the first to develop the concept of hospitals and isolated patients inflicted with communicable diseases. When European culture was in the dark ages, Eastern culture was in the Age of Enlightenment. Our culture owes a lot to the Middle East, one of the first areas where the seeds of humanity developed. All of this gets lost because of jihads, terrorism, suicide bombings, and feeble interventions by Western countries to stabilize these problems at gunpoint. It should be axiomatic that democracy cannot be delivered by military means. Iraq and Afghanistan are classic examples of this. Invaded by the Russians, NATO forces, etc., and still political hellholes of death and corruption.