trash for food exchange

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i've read about this project a while ago and DL brought it up again. as a part of an initiative to clean ozama river banreservas has a project of exchanging plastic trash for food packages.

1,200 families benefit from this. for 3 big bags of plastic bottles (about 7.5 kg) they receive basic food package (rice, pasta, powdered milk, beans, oats, oil, sugar).

http://www.diariolibre.com/medioambiente/recolectores-cambian-plastico-por-comida-BD3665388

i wish they had it in POP as well. there are tons of plastic bottles on further ends of costambar beach.

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
Go small/local - pick a place - get local kids involved, provide bags/gloves - rewards from balloon toys/hats to 20 peso notes for each full bag N.B oversee to make sure kid presenting bag is the kid who did the actual filling :).

Done successfully in both community playgrounds and squatter camps.

P.S. bag disposal - kept small can be done via regular garbage unless your household has loads of trash - one extra black bag easily disposed of......

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i want to bring the trash and get the food, not the other way round.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Worked on the Ozama a while back, and you would not believe the number of floating trash bags. Don't think this would solve anything

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Is there an actual recycler of plastic bottles around anywhere in the country? I have seen trucks loaded to the sky with empty bottles, so somebody seems to be doing something with them, but who and hw and where?
Der fish

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is there an actual recycler of plastic bottles around anywhere in the country? I have seen trucks loaded to the sky with empty bottles, so somebody seems to be doing something with them, but who and hw and where?
Der fish

there are guys in Santiago who shred the plastic bottles and ship the chips to China. th least that is what i have been told, on occasion.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are people who buy plastic but i don't know how is the business at the moment.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
this should be sub sudized by the import/tax on raw materials etc.... wait until they start w/bring your own bag routine or pay for plastic/and or paper bags ..last time a paper bag was .06cents u.s. nobody buying them....plastic was .02....they were selling

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I've suggested this a few times. The DR gov should invest in a garbage burning steam plant, which creates energy to be converted into electricity. If people were paid to bring garbage to a dump point you would see the country cleaned up. It's really a simple idea but until the Environmental Minister or someone else thinks there is a major problem than nothing will be done.
The problem with a lot of these small rivers that flow into the sea and wash up garbage is that septic systems flush waste directly into these rivers and additionally citizens throw garbage into them. The government needs to come up with a plan for local levels to deal with the control of trash. Sadly, this may never happen.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It won't happen in my lifetime, but I say ban all plastic. Start with food product containers.

We survived without it before and can do it again.

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
It won't happen in my lifetime, but I say ban all plastic. Start with food product containers.

when did we survive without it???? when u were a child and your mom was home all day ???when there was one car parked on your block and most family's had one car and no tv???

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
when did we survive without it???? when u were a child and your mom was home all day ???when there was one car parked on your block and most family's had one car and no tv???

Chic, buddy, you doing the 12 step thingy? Congrats.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Sure, let's sell milk in wooden barrels. They make rum in them. Or maybe tin buckets?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I've suggested this a few times. The DR gov should invest in a garbage burning steam plant, which creates energy to be converted into electricity. If people were paid to bring garbage to a dump point you would see the country cleaned up. It's really a simple idea but until the Environmental Minister or someone else thinks there is a major problem than nothing will be done.
The problem with a lot of these small rivers that flow into the sea and wash up garbage is that septic systems flush waste directly into these rivers and additionally citizens throw garbage into them. The government needs to come up with a plan for local levels to deal with the control of trash. Sadly, this may never happen.

Why don't we get together a consortium of DR1 folks and design one and invest in it and present it to the DR govt?

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Why don't we get together a consortium of DR1 folks and design one and invest in it and present it to the DR govt?

You would think the powers to be would consider this and build a few around the country. Again, paying a small amount to citizens to bring garbage to these plants would give the average citizens an incentive to clean up these pockets of plastic and foam. Don't see why the Gov. can't figure this out, but unless this is a priority the Gov will just look the other way as usual.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks, for anyone interested to know I wrote to them and they say all they buy is galones. and pay 4.5 pesos per pound. But no other plastic!
Der Fish

Have to get you another link then, because I work right beside the one in Duquesa and they got all kinds of plastic. mainly the small 1/2 liter plastic bottles.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
You would think the powers to be would consider this and build a few around the country. Again, paying a small amount to citizens to bring garbage to these plants would give the average citizens an incentive to clean up these pockets of plastic and foam. Don't see why the Gov. can't figure this out, but unless this is a priority the Gov will just look the other way as usual.

cash flow and logistics pose certain issues, i guess. paying individuals small amounts of money every day does not make much sense on a large scale.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Have to get you another link then, because I work right beside the one in Duquesa and they got all kinds of plastic. mainly the small 1/2 liter plastic bottles.

Yes please. I have a van and can get a trailer and if they pay 4.5 pesos per pound that comes to $.10 USD per pound which is twice what I got in Chattanooga TN. That would make it worth it to pay kids 5 cents a pound to bring it in. If it was plastic in general, no sticks and stones as kids will try to do at times.
So iffen you can get better information, please. Many people hee misuse the word gallon and use it for a 5 gallon bucket etc. SO I rewrote to them asking if tha meant any plastic container of liquid and didn't get a reply.
Der Fish