Protests happening in Higuey.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
?Are you crazy or from Higuey?

There is an expression estas loco o de Higuey

?Are you crazy or from Higuey?

The context of this saying is if you observe the cedula (ID card) of people claiming Higuey area as their residence, the first three ID digits are 028 that signify Higuey as the zone. Then the other part of this context is km 28 of Autopista Duarte, is where the Padre Billini pyschiatric hospital is located.

Now you know the rest of the story.

It would seem by some of the protesters actions they may reside at km 28.

Regards,

PJT

May 29, 2006
Following what's happening right now in Higuey. People apparently are protesting that it's taking too long to get the results which appear to be very close between Karina and Cholitin. Shots and tear gas to disperse crowds have been reported and they've started burning tires in Villa Cerro.

https://www.facebook.com/vision2020tvluz/?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/Bavaro-Digital-312866558728216/?fref=ts

Crap,. I live in Villa Cerro. I was wondering what mi esposa was talking about. I head back Saturday.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Crap,. I live in Villa Cerro. I was wondering what mi esposa was talking about. I head back Saturday.

Villa Cerro always gets a bit rock'n'roll during protests. They love to light up the bridge with burning tires. One guy was killed in that area during the protests.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
People apparently are protesting that it's taking too long to get the results which appear to be very close between Karina and Cholitin.

The Cholitin's supporters have assumed (with or without reasons) that he won. The first bulletin had him ahead by a close margin. The second bulletin put him behind (by a close margin). So, they assumed (with or without good reasons) that it was due to faul play. That's when the problem started.

With half the precincts counted, he remains about 2% behind. Either one can win.

However, it is likely that most of the colegios not-yet-counted are in rural areas, where Karina's father (Sen. Aristy) is stronger. In that case, Karina's lead is likely to increase.

May 29, 2006
They have been doing lots of street work lately installing gutters/improving roads and more hours of power and water. My side of the main drag(west) is a mix of casitas, colmados, apts and small farm plots. Lots of tin shacks being replaced by cinderblock ranch homes.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
They have been doing lots of street work lately installing gutters/improving roads and more hours of power and water. My side of the main drag(west) is a mix of casitas, colmados, apts and small farm plots. Lots of tin shacks being replaced by cinderblock ranch homes.

Always happens in the last few months before elections. People tend to have a very short memory and won't recall the lack of services and help from the previous 4 years. My maid voted for Danilo because her street got paved a few weeks ago and for Manolito because he rebuilt her MIL's house.

Feb 7, 2007
However, it is likely that most of the colegios not-yet-counted are in rural areas, where Karina's father (Sen. Aristy) is stronger. In that case, Karina's lead is likely to increase.

The opposite is true. Rural areas are counted and city center is not, that's where Cholitin won by huge margin. I personally know several people that worked the election tables on Sunday and they all claim Cholitin was way up in Actas signed.

The local JCE counts by the speed of 50 votes every 3 hours. They are making their macuteo.

On all FB pages people who worked the election tables make statements Cholit was way up, so far I have not seen a single FB comment by someone saying they worked the election table and Karina was up on their table. Old people in campos usually do not post on FB pages, so Karina slightly up in rural areas is believable. But it's the rurals that are counted, Higuey proper had NOT YET been counted.

The last elections, Champion was up, then there was an apagon and when the lights came back, Karina won. Everybody knows Champion got then bough off with several million pesos so he would not pursue legal action known as impugnacion.

This time, there are claims that several thousand false ballots were printed the night before elections in Impresora Luz (known connection to the clan who owns Higuey).

There is also a widespread believe, that if the daughter goes, the father is next (in the next elections).

What Higuey needs is for her to go, regardless of who takes place now, so the next elections can be really between "good and bad options" instead of today's "bad and less bad options".

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
The opposite is true. Rural areas are counted and city center is not, that's where Cholitin won by huge margin.

NO. The actual ballot counting is done at EACH "mesa" (polling place), NOT at the municipal election board. The municipal board just tabulates and consolidates the reports received from the mesas.

The vast majority of the mesas start and finish counting at about the same time (roughly). But the first ones to arrive at the municipal board are those of the town (as opposed to rural areas).

Cholitin has definitely more support in the town. That is why HE STARTED LEADING (bulletin one). As more mesas from rural areas were tabulated Karina pulled (slightly) ahead. More than likely she will be proclaimed the winner after all mesas are tabulated (regardless of whether or not that is a good thing for Higuey).

Feb 7, 2007
Actually, they are manually counting. I live here, watch the news, talk to people. I guess I know what I am talking about. They are manually recounting since Sunday at local JCE, recounting by the speed of 50 votes per 180 minutes and delaying the whole process. Don't tell me things that I have better information than you, I have my office within office of PRM high brass in the province who also happens to be my friend. Plus I work with another person who was media director for Tony Botello and who also happens to know the owners of Higuey quite well. Plus I work in media and get my information from some other sources. So do not tell me how things are from the place where you are.

I repeat, electronic data is not released, only manual, and they are doing manual. Also the law states now that manual prevails over electronic in case of discrepancies. The problem is that with manual, a lot of macuteo can be done.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Actually, they are manually counting. I live here, watch the news, talk to people.
Don't assume I do not have EVEN BETTER information than you do.
My connection to Higuey started FAR EARLIER than yours.
Let's leave it at that.

markryan

Jul 16, 2014
Don't assume I do not have EVEN BETTER information than you do.
My connection to Higuey started FAR EARLIER than yours.
Let's leave it at that.

Actually with all your knowledge of everything DR I am surprised YOU did not win the election.

Feb 7, 2007

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
The rumor goes that Karina will be proclaimed winner.
Wouldn't surprise me, for reasons previously given.
Cholitin's supporters are simply forgetting that the mayor is NOT chosen by the town people, ONLY.

Once the surrounding rural communities are computed it's a different ball game.

Don Amable won easily his senate seat. Partially because he had less competition, but also because the senate is a province-wide election, where all towns and rural areas participate. He may well have lost the Higuey town mesas, though.