Good things to do near Paradisius Palma Real

grakk

May 17, 2016
Thanks in advance for any help you folks give to me.

I am heading to the Pardisius in 2 weeks for a week (31st-7th) and I am traveling with my entire family (11 people, 4 kids, 7 adults).

Now, for better or worse my family isn't the type that will want to do much off of the all inclusive (my wife and I however, REALLY want to see the non-resort places). I'm not terribly interested in "American" style places (Hard rock, outback, etc)

That being said I am looking for things to do that the hotels probably won't be advertising. The only thing we have planned is a cruise with Hispaniola Aquatic Adventures, everything else is wide open.

The things that I want to do:
Find somewhere to get great local rum (love dark rums) - Was planning on doing this by going to Don Lucas
Get great, fresh seafood (I Don't think I can do this on the resorts) Planned on going to Captain Cook for this
Any amazing food that is nearby
Anything that people feel is a "must do" chances are my family will only come here once (my wife and I plan on returning and seeing more of the "real" dr). We were debating checking out El Limon but decided against it.

Anywhere I could walk to from the Paradisius would be awesome as well - that is one of the reasons Captain Cook is so attractive.

grakk

May 17, 2016
Also doing some more reading it sounds like Jellyfish resturant is nearby the palma real as well - can I get there from the beach?

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Paradisus Palma Real is in the middle of the Punta Cana beach strip -- which is more than 50 kilometers long.
Jellyfish Restaurant is a short walk south of the Paradisus Palma Real. The next hotel to the south is the Melia Caribe Tropical and then comes Jellyfish. Next to the south is the IFA Villas Bavaro Resort.

Recommend Bavaro Adventure Park, about 20 minutes drives to the south. Also a visit to the Fundacion Ecologica Punta Cana, with a trip through the Indigenous Eyes Park (Ojos Indigenas), with lunch or dinner at La Yola Restaurant nearby. While in that area, visit the Supermercado Nacional for buying rum. The better brands are Brugal, Matusalem, Barcelo, Macorix. Avoid Punta Cana brand that uses a process different from traditional Dominican rum making.

Jan 9, 2004

I am heading to the Pardisius in 2 weeks for a week (31st-7th) and I am traveling with my entire family (11 people, 4 kids, 7 adults).

Now, for better or worse my family isn't the type that will want to do much off of the all inclusive (my wife and I however, REALLY want to see the non-resort places). I'm not terribly interested in "American" style places (Hard rock, outback, etc)

That being said I am looking for things to do that the hotels probably won't be advertising. The only thing we have planned is a cruise with Hispaniola Aquatic Adventures, everything else is wide open.

Find somewhere to get great local rum (love dark rums) - Was planning on doing this by going to Don Lucas
Get great, fresh seafood (I Don't think I can do this on the resorts) Planned on going to Captain Cook for this
Anything that people feel is a "must do" chances are my family will only come here once (my wife and I plan on returning and seeing more of the "real" dr). We were debating checking out El Limon but decided against it.

Anywhere I could walk to from the Paradisius would be awesome as well - that is one of the reasons Captain Cook is so attractive.

While it is a full day trip from Bavaro (location of Paradisus Palma Real)......visit Saona Island. One of the few excursions I will recommend.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...a_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

Shop around for pricing....with 11 people you may receive a nice discount.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
There's a Plaza Lama supermarket in the Palma Real mall. It has all the rum brands and its better priced than National. If you dine at Jellyfish watch your bill. They are well known for adding stuff to it.

Playacaribe2 is spot on recommending Sanoa Island. Its a great day out. There is also a golf course across the street from your hotel. I believe you get great rates if your staying at the Melia.

Steves bar is also worth a trip in the late afternoon or early evening.

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002

Captian Cooks would be a great place to go if you weren't staying at Paradisus. Since the food at Paradisus will consist of fresh seafood, lobster and paella you will be getting the same thing at the resort!

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

Be careful with your money. I got money stolen from the safe box while staying there. Do not leave your money or values in the safe box.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013

The beach is officially public, and hence you can walk along it in either direction, regardless of the resort that is in front of the beach. If you walk south along the beach (to your right facing the sea from your hotel) for about a mile or 2 KM, you reach the big Barcelo complex. That is the original playa B?varo, per some reports one of the best of the Caribbean (sorry, don't have the source right now). You should try it.

If you keep on walking south you reach one of the last remaining non-developed strips in the area. Many people walk across it (during day time) to reach the next resort strip: the Cabeza de Toro (bull's head) beach, where the Natura Park resort and others are located. This will be 3 to 4 miles from your hotel. Laguna Bavaro is around there.

Should be safe for everyone during day time. Of course small children or the elderly will find hard to walk several miles (even on the soft Bavaro sand). They should probably stay near the resort (or not go past the Barcelo resort).

6ofvdpe.jpg

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
While it is a full day trip from Bavaro (location of Paradisus Palma Real)......visit Saona Island. One of the few excursions I will recommend.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...a_Altagracia_Province_Dominican_Republic.html

Shop around for pricing....with 11 people you may receive a nice discount.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Good recommendation for an out of town tour… but would take a whole day. If you decide to do this excursion, suggest you take the tour that also takes you to Altos de Chavon. There be sure to include a stop at the archaeological museum and El Batey shop for embroidered gifts. Also, see Jenny Polanco's store that is part of Altos de Chavon, and Everett Designs jewellery store, and of course the Amber Museum also that is part of Altos de Chavon. At Marietta in Chavon they make delicious pizzas.

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008

Nothing to really do there. Beware of the hype that goes along with anything hotel or tourist operators try to sell to you. Be
smart! Nothing for tourist near captain cook. Please do not walk around alone or just with your family. Stay at hotel. DR can Only offer u a beautiful beach and Nothing more. Believe me please. Also do not think of driving in DR anyplace alone. Your
hotel really is where I think you will have best time. Also be aware of the buffet ... Food usually at buffet not the best.
All this said I hope all is wonderful for yr trip.

Jan 7, 2016
If you really want to experience the "Dominican Republic" life-style and culture, take a Punta Cana Mike Tour...small groups in 8-10 passenger vans with stops for liquor, cigars, visit a school, drive-by a Cabana or two, visit a carwash and play Dominoes with locals. Ultimately see some of the back country areas around Punta Cana, including Macao Beach. Full day includes lunch and beers...

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
visit a school
I would never recommend or patronize a "tour" that disrupt school activities. And I fail to see why a simple school where children are trying to learn is an "attraction". If the excuse is "to help" there are ways to do so without disrupting teaching. A simple way is to donate to a reputable charity and let them distribute help according to good priorities.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I would never recommend or patronize a "tour" that disrupt school activities. And I fail to see why a simple school where children are trying to learn is an "attraction". If the excuse is "to help" there are ways to do so without disrupting teaching. A simple way is to donate to a reputable charity and let them distribute help according to good priorities.

I often disagree with Virgo, but on this point I am 1000% in total accord.

It bothers me enormously that visitors seem to think that taking people to visit schools or other places like orphanages is a viable tourist opportunity.

The children of the DR are not object lessons in poverty and need.

Jan 7, 2016
If it bothers you, skip the school (actually a kindergarten class) and go your merry way and see everything else. The private school in question relies heavily on the donations of persons visiting the school, including boxes of pencils, crayons, writing papers and watercolors. It's your choice how the tour is conducted.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Punta Cana Mike's tour is really good. I thoroughly disagree about the comments regarding the school visits. These are planned visits and the donations do go very far. There is no "disruption" as these visits are planned and actually not very long. Yes I have been on the tour myself and saw just how much the children/school enjoyed the visit. Punta Cana (PC) Mike is very knowledgeable and his tours are extremely entertaining as well as educational on life in the Dominican Republic. I have family and friends that have taken his tours and everyone of them has had wonderful things to say.

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
Punta Cana Mike's tour is really good. I thoroughly disagree about the comments regarding the school visits. These are planned visits and the donations do go very far. There is no "disruption" as these visits are planned and actually not very long. Yes I have been on the tour myself and saw just how much the children/school enjoyed the visit. Punta Cana (PC) Mike is very knowledgeable and his tours are extremely entertaining as well as educational on life in the Dominican Republic. I have family and friends that have taken his tours and everyone of them has had wonderful things to say.

The schools are not meant to be tourist attractions anywhere else. If they just want to help, what about giving to a charity, or have a drop box by the school to donate without disrupting classes.
Whether children enjoy it or not is not the point. Most children would enjoy spending all time at school just playing. But that isn't good for them in the long run. It is borderline sick to interrupt a class (even if only for minutes) to display children to tourists as if they were some type of circus freaks. What exactly is especial for a tourist to see about a group of school children trying to learn? Have they never seen school children in their own countries?

And how does the fact the visits are "planned" make them non-disruptive?

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
You are a negative one Virgo. Many countries other then the Dominican Republic have tours that involve "tours" of local schools. Nothing new there. Borderline sick? Circus freaks? Take the tour and then comment.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
It is extremely selfish of both tour ops and their customers to disrupt a school for a sick "feeding the birds" pleasure. That's all it is.

If you really want to help the school send them donations or give it to a reputable local charity. Let the children learn in peace. It's hard enough already.

I have visited quite a few countries myself. I have never been offered a tour to a school that is in session, nor would I have accepted it.

Find some other way to make money.

Why do you interject so much negativity into so many of your posts?
You really do have a chip on your shoulder. Time to get off your soap box, it's getting boring.
Don't bother replying, it will be deleted. If you have a comment, PM me.

Carry on.... back to Good things to do near Paradisius Palma Real :)

NAGUA

Mar 19, 2016
I myself have a bit of some negativity about these excursions. Have been on a few of them over the years in the DR and the last one in Puerto Plata did it for us. Once you pay you are in their control until they drop you off at your hotel. We went on a 4 wheeler wife, myself sister and brother inlaw. They put us in a cattle truck with benches and since we were 1st to be picked up we were in for a cattle truck experience. The dust the diesel fumes were overbearing. We went from hotel to hotel picking up other customers. Then we get to the 4 wheelers and were treated like objects not humans. It ****ed me off so bad it almost got to throwing fists. after the 4 wheelers it was back to cattle truck and visiting all the hotels dropping guests off and we were last since we were picked up 1st. NEVER AGAIN. This is just one story.