So many house " Se Vende " in Zona Colonial ... How come ???

Mm530

Dec 28, 2014
On my visit during election weekend ( NEVER again... too much noise) i noticed so many houses for sale or buildings.
I even saw one with 3 bedroom 4 baths and a pool going 40k USD.. what gives ???

I mean in NYC these prices are unheard of ... i mean 40K ??? To me the Zona Colonial is very nice and desirable..

Also how does the real estate taxes work in DR ?? .. furthermore.. many properties also seemed neglected and need a little r

renovation .. What gives . How come the French havent invested like in Las Terrenas ? Am I missing something

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
definitely wrong price. There are numerous houses for sale because some have been renovated and are now for sale and some have have had the same owners for a very long time and have died or just need to move in their old age .It is surprising in my part of Zona Colonial , the relatively old age of the residents

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
On my visit during election weekend ( NEVER again... too much noise) i noticed so many houses for sale or buildings.
I even saw one with 3 bedroom 4 baths and a pool going 40k USD.. what gives ???

I mean in NYC these prices are unheard of ... i mean 40K ??? To me the Zona Colonial is very nice and desirable..

Also how does the real estate taxes work in DR ?? .. furthermore.. many properties also seemed neglected and need a little r

renovation .. What gives . How come the French havent invested like in Las Terrenas ? Am I missing something

But does that price include the land under the house? There is an area here in Puerto Plata where they sell the houses, but that doesn't give one ownership of the land, or so I am told. Have it checked out before putting out the bucks.
Der Fish

May 29, 2006
I wonder if the $40K house has a deslinde and clear title... in the DR, buildings are cheap, but lots are close to the same for US prices.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
But does that price include the land under the house? There is an area here in Puerto Plata where they sell the houses, but that doesn't give one ownership of the land, or so I am told. Have it checked out before putting out the bucks.
Der Fish

London England...... just the buildings in some cases

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
I think the house he was looking at has a big sigh saying $40,000 USD. I saw that and inquired about it myself, The 40k is the discount and the actual price is $410k after discount. It is located on Calle Santome. Looks like a great property form windows but i did not get a chance to look inside. It has some thing like 3000sq ft and does have a pool. The one down side it is on a street that has not been redone yet and might be 4 years before they get there. Of course they might run out of money before they get to that street,so who knows.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
jejeje I know that house..yes you are correct ..It was open for inspections for many months and I had a peek inside but Santome is not so good.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Here on the north coast there are houses available for one million pesos, but they need a bit of renovation, or sometimes a lot of renovation. But i can show you some if interested.
Der Fish

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I am almost sure it is the same house and it is two stories but maybe that is not so obvious in the front ,,Inside it is quite nice but not remotely like a normal ZC house as it is much newer ..It has a little rectangular pool of water near the entrance and everything in stark white and light coloured ceramics. It had no appeal for me but this was three or more years ago .I prefer the colonial architecture with an open patio in the centre of the house and rooms leading off it ,or , as is often the case a house of L shape with two salas in the front and then every other room running along one side with a covered walkway going along the whole side and a small garden. There are dozens like that in ZC . My old home is in the shape of a U so I can actually close one side of the U off . I covered the patio in the centre for security reasons but I wonder if I made a mistake and should take the roof off

Nicolas Orefice

Jul 31, 2016
The house was designed a bit like one of the caba?as at KM12, it looks like a great house to party in, but it would be quite unpleasant to live there in my opinion.

The price of 400,000US is completely out of the way, and I was offered it a couple years ago at 300,000, before they found a tenant who is now gone for 8 months, and noone is "smart" enough to enjoy that 40K discount.

Otherwise, I live nearby, and this part of the Santome is very quiet.

I also live in an L house, my patio is opened and never really had any problems. I'm thinking of installing video-surveillance as an extra deterrent though.