Pajaro & Cangrejo

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
When and where I learned Spanish Pajaro meant bird. but here it seems to meet insect, maybe only flying insect, I don't know, but yesterday my lady said she had seen a cangrejo afuera. We are 5 or more miles from the ocean, but thinking maybe a blue crab or the local equivalent I accepted what she said. This morning a bunch of school kids were yelling and running in circles. When I got down stairs from our second floor apartment they had killed a medium sized Tarantula. My lady said "I told you I saw a cangrejo yesterday." Is it as common to call a tarantula a crab as it is call a flying insect a bird?
What would one who calls a fly a bird call a bluejay?
Der Fish

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Dominicans I know call tarantulas either 'tarantula' or 'cacata'. Never heard pajaro used for anything except a bird or a gay man.

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
As far as I have seen/heard, cangrejos are only those that live in the sea. Tarantulas I have seen called exactly that, tarantulas.

I have heard people calling insects as "pajaritos", but not in a serious way, but rather when talking to children. They use the proper names for each insect respectively, but when talking with kids, the word "pajarito" is used occasionally. It?s worth noting the "-ito", meaning (as far as I understand) that it softens the word a bit (kids, joking etc.), and it more or less literally means a small thing...

Virgo

Bronze
Oct 26, 2013
When and where I learned Spanish Pajaro meant bird. but here it seems to meet insect, maybe only flying insect, I don't know, but yesterday my lady said she had seen a cangrejo

Perhaps she said "CACATA" and you heard Cangrejo. But come to think about it, could your lady be Haitian (in whole or in part)?. Many things you have said are consistent with that, including the fact that Haitians call cacatas "crab spider" (of course in their language).
In fact the complete name in the DR is "ara?a cacata", which sounds somewhat similar to "ara?a cangrejo". Conceivably Dominicans (who were first in the island) may have influence the Haitian name.

I haven't heard the name tar?ntula used by common Dominicans (it's a word they would learn in school).
Technically cacatas are a specific kind of spider native to this island, which is related to the tar?ntula.
The most common (Mexican) tar?ntula is "yellowish/reddish" whereas cacatas are black.

I think rural people of very limited education could (conceivably) use the word p?jaro to mean "flying living beings".

Cacata
spider.jpg

Mexican Tar?ntula
tarantula4.jpg

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Perhaps she said "CACATA" and you heard Cangrejo. But come to think about it, could your lady be Haitian (in whole or in part)?. Many things you have said are consistent with that, including the fact that Haitians call cacatas "crab spider" (of course in their language).
In fact the complete name in the DR is "ara?a cacata", which sounds somewhat similar to "ara?a cangrejo". Conceivably Dominicans (who were first in the island) may have influence the Haitian name.

I haven't heard the name tar?ntula used by common Dominicans (it's a word they would learn in school).
Technically cacatas are a specific kind of spider native to this island, which is related to the tar?ntula.
The most common (Mexican) tar?ntula is "yellowish/reddish" whereas cacatas are black.

I think rural people of very limited education could (conceivably) use the word p?jaro to mean "flying living beings".

Cacata
spider.jpg

Mexican Tar?ntula
tarantula4.jpg

just showed her these pics and she says that yes the black one is just like the cangrejo she saw yesterday.
Thanks Der Fish

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I also hear pajarito frequently to refer to a variety of insects that fly. Most lately the damn moths. Hundreds in the hallway these days. But, I expect they will soon be gone. Seems to be a seasonal thing.

I also hear abipa. A bee pa. For wasp. I think the real word is avispa but they are dropping the s.

Yes, many of my friends are of limited education - but not rural.

Last edited:

chic

Silver
Nov 20, 2013
When and where I learned Spanish Pajaro meant bird. but here it seems to meet insect, maybe only flying insect, I don't know, but yesterday my lady said she had seen a cangrejo afuera. We are 5 or more miles from the ocean, but thinking maybe a blue crab or the local equivalent I accepted what she said. This morning a bunch of school kids were yelling and running in circles. When I got down stairs from our second floor apartment they had killed a medium sized Tarantula. My lady said "I told you I saw a cangrejo yesterday." Is it as common to call a tarantula a crab as it is call a flying insect a bird?
What would one who calls a fly a bird call a bluejay?
Der Fish

now you can teach the child as it takes a village to raise a child...

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I also hear pajarito frequently to refer to a variety of insects that fly. Most lately the damn moths. Hundreds in the hallway these days. But, I expect they will soon be gone. Seems to be a seasonal thing.

I also hear abipa. A bee pa. For wasp. I think the real word is avispa but they are dropping the s.

Yes, many of my friends are of limited education - but not rural.

Damn. I knew there was something wrong with what I wrote - I don't hear pajarito for flying insect - I hear mariposita. That's the moths.

I hear pajarito for any kind of bird large or small.

And my comment about wasp stands : )

Jul 28, 2014
Does your novia use ave for all birds because there is a difference between aves and p?jaros? You realize this right?

-MP.

We dont bird watch, so I couldnt say exactly where the line is, but if you are generally referring to how the larger vs smaller ones get addressed, I get it...

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
The Novia uses ave for bird, but cangrejo, as per her (which I always used), is crab...

Hope this isn't too far off topic, but there are two words for crab in the DR.

La jaiba is a fresh-water crab (crayfish, maybe?) and el cangrejo is a salt-water crab.

Jul 28, 2014
Hope this isn't too far off topic, but there are two words for crab in the DR.

La jaiba is a fresh-water crab (crayfish, maybe?) and el cangrejo is a salt-water crab.

I have yet to run across a fresh water crab, only familiar with the salt water ones

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have yet to run across a fresh water crab, only familiar with the salt water ones

If you've ever driven from Santo Domingo to Santiago, you've seen the string of crabs sold on the side of the road - those are jaiba. The also call them paloma de cuevas I think.

Now, what about those tiny bright red land crabs? Do they have a separate name?

Jul 28, 2014
If you've ever driven from Santo Domingo to Santiago, you've seen the string of crabs sold on the side of the road - those are jaiba. The also call them paloma de cuevas I think.

Now, what about those tiny bright red land crabs? Do they have a separate name?

I pretty much hang out in Sosua where people are vending fish/lobster from the sea, I've yet to see anyone vending a "river crab" there. I know they exist, I just don't run across them in my day to day, although, would love to hear from people who've eaten them, I assume they are good?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I pretty much hang out in Sosua where people are vending fish/lobster from the sea, I've yet to see anyone vending a "river crab" there. I know they exist, I just don't run across them in my day to day, although, would love to hear from people who've eaten them, I assume they are good?

Never had them myself, but a couple of weeks ago I made a crab boil with Old Bay seasoning of centolla crabs. A diving buddy of Mr AE caught them in Ocoa Bay. Outstanding!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg