Construction Work?

Sameul11

May 16, 2016
Hello I'm new to the forum. I've been back and forth to the DR a few times and have been here a few months. I worked in construction back in the US and was wondering if there is much demand in this area (I know construction workers don't earn much here). I've been surprised at how many for sale signs there are. I mainly worked painting, but am a bit of a jack of all trades. Any advice would be appreciated.

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
You couldn't earn a living even if you had the contacts to throw bits n pieces your way. You'll earn alot more working in an call centre than you will painting peoples walls or doing odd jobs.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
A well paid construction laborer here makes between $200 - $300 US per month. That is so far below the poverty line I don't know how these guys can live.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hello I'm new to the forum. I've been back and forth to the DR a few times and have been here a few months. I worked in construction back in the US and was wondering if there is much demand in this area (I know construction workers don't earn much here). I've been surprised at how many for sale signs there are. I mainly worked painting, but am a bit of a jack of all trades. Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the DR and DR1. You'd earn less in a month on construction than you can in a day back in Florida. So work there for 6 months and come play here for 3 or 4 and go back and hit it again on the mainland!
Der Fish

May 29, 2006
I think we pay our handyman 500 pesos a day plus a meal. That's good pay. The Haitians work for maybe half that?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you are responsible and work hard you can make more than minimum wage. I can get a painter and pay him 500-1000 pesos a day. I prefer though to call the guy who charges us 3000 for a morning. (if he only needs to paint two or three rooms). Then I know he works clean, he doesn't paint the outlets or the borders of the window frames. Same for a plumber. I have tried several and the one charging most is also the one most responsible and doing a good job.

But to get an image like that as a worker would take time of course.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
If you are responsible and work hard you can make more than minimum wage. I can get a painter and pay him 500-1000 pesos a day. I prefer though to call the guy who charges us 3000 for a morning. (if he only needs to paint two or three rooms). Then I know he works clean, he doesn't paint the outlets or the borders of the window frames. Same for a plumber. I have tried several and the one charging most is also the one most responsible and doing a good job.

But to get an image like that as a worker would take time of course.

But one cannot always assume that the guy that charges the most does the best job. I've met more than one conman who charges more than anyone else!
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
But one cannot always assume that the guy that charges the most does the best job. I've met more than one conman who charges more than anyone else!
Der Fish

True, those I end up paying more are often being referred, especially by one of my wife's aunts that miraculously always has the right guy for any job.

ziny

Banned
Oct 11, 2011
hahaha the trick is to use someone recommended....has wrked for someone else talk among yourselfs...the advantage is to keep a guy busy and he knows word gets around etc

Sameul11

May 16, 2016
Yeah I remember a friend of mine in Argentina who did great work, who I made more than finishing my coffee in the morning than he did all day. Its very humbling to know you make so much merely because of where you are. I thought there might be a few people who wanted straight lines, and who didnt want their concrete covered with drips. I'm kicking myself for not bringing my sprayer, it makes you worth 4-5 people.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
For me, first and foremost the tell is whether the person has the right tools for the job. A tile installer who doesn't have a tile cutter speaks volumes. Second is some exposure to what constitutes best practices. An AC installer with two 110V circuit breakers in their hand instead of a single 220V breaker should be shown the door.

When dealing with installs and construction in this country, you don't need to be good at doing the job yourself, but you do need to know how the job should be done and what materials should be used. You have to supervise everything. 5 minutes of inattention is more than enough time for someone to really bugger up a job.

More and more, I'm opting to pay for transplanted trades people. No guarantees, but at least they usually know how they should do the job and I don't have to ask them to put their hands in their pockets until I come back from the bathroom.