Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: REGULARIZATION UPDATE "Cedula coming"

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chirimoya View Post
    A couple of foreigners I know had tried to go through the regularisation process twice, got frustrated and given up, especially after their second lawyer did a disappearing act with their money.
    The first lawyer had merely seemed inefficient, but several months later a fellow foreigner advised them to check the list, they did, and what do you know, their cards were ready and waiting for them, I think they had to go to Higuey.
    Their cards as in cedulas? Or the sticker that goes into the passport?

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

It was mentioned by several people back in the dark days, when some DR1'ers we're having a hard time grasping that the times were changing, not to be surprised if the regularization process resulted in a cedula. It wasn't specifically announced that all would get one, but now that some of those regularizations are beginning to expire, the next step has to be announced. It would be much less of a headache for the DR Govt just to give in and give everyone who applied their cedula. Kind of like a wiping of the slate. Good publicity, a reward for those who made the effort and a smack to those who did not.

Maybe a few new hoops to jump through will appear but I for one am not surprised at the possibility of cedulas and residency for regularized folks. Koodoos for standing in line and applying, move to the head of the class, maybe. We'll see.

3. Likes yacht chef liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually doesn't surprise me that they're handing out cedulas. That's the document you need in order to get everything done here as well as work legally (not to mention the only one everyone recognizes). I would assume though that the expiration date is the same as on the regularization document (whatever it's called) that the applicant gets so probably a temporary solution until they get into the temporary residency routine?

99.9% Regular User
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll go a step further and speculate that along with a cedula, the regularization applicants also get temp residency valid for one year requiring renewal every year for 4 years just like all the other temp residencies - a residency that does not require the process to be started in their home country which is what many though the "plan" was meant to achieve. Clearly not enough regularized folks have followed up with residency applications because the Govt failed to publicize this next step and put a process to accomplish this in place.

So now, rather than moving backwards to the starting line again, watch for the one-time immigration "amnesty" to come to regularization stamp near you.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Derfish View Post
    Their cards as in cedulas? Or the sticker that goes into the passport?
    Not sure actually, will ask.
    Moderator East Coast Forum

www.DR1.com

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Virgo View Post
    You may want to post a readable image of the letter (after making a copy and whiting out personally identifiable information, like names, ID numbers, etc).
    Here it is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by harry2010 View Post
    Here it is
    It's a letter of no-objection. They are saying they do not object your receiving a cedula, as a foreigner with temporary (non-permanent) residence.

The next steps seem to be:
    (1) getting the cedula from the appropriate department of the Junta Central Electoral (JCE)
    (2) getting a temporary residence permit from the foreigners' department at the migration directorate (DGM)

(2) should be sought immediately after succeeding with (1).

Notice, I am only reading the letter. I have no first-hand experience with the procedure.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

In other words, it looks like a letter telling you to get your temporary residency as soon as possible. (No automatic cedula - apply for residency to get a cedula.).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    In other words, it looks like a letter telling you to get your temporary residency as soon as possible. (No automatic cedula - apply for residency to get a cedula.).
    I read that the cedula comes first (using that letter). Then the residency permit immediately after.

Of course he has already done work towards the residency permit. That is why he got this letter.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=harry2010;1699410]It looks like there is movement in the regularization program. I have seen 2 documents that indicate that a cedula will be issued .to those in the program

If you were part of the program go to the office you have applied to see if your name is in some kind of list.
    the papers that i have seen were from the San Pedro de macoris and one from Higuey office .

[QUOTE]

Do you know how the recipients of these letters received them? Did they just happen to go into the local Immigration office or were they sent to them somehow? As far as I know, the tent that served as the Regularizacion office in Puerto Plata is now closed.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast