Mountain Biking in the DR?

mattfit

Feb 9, 2002
Hi to all you residents of the DR.
I am after some information on some quality mountain bike rides in the southern half of the DR.
I am flying over for a week along with my friend Di on Tuesday 5th March 2002. We are both keen MTB riders and live on the south coast of England. If any residents know of any quality trails then prior info would be appreciated. Infact if any residents fancy going for a ride then that would be cool as well. We are both bringing over our own XC bikes and plan to see as much of the DR as possible. Di is also an expert canoeist, but it appears that there is no "white water" in the DR. I myself climb to a resonable standard, but am not going to bring over any gear, as we are just about at our weight limit on the plane with our bikes. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Matt

Lucy

Jan 7, 2002
hey matt,
there was a great article in Outside magazine, february 2001. they highly reccomend Iguana mama, located in Cabarete. there phone # is 800-849-4720
check out www.iguana-mama.com
perhaps you can find the article at www.outsidemag.com
have a wonderful time!

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Whitewater/MTB/Climbing

Iguana Mama is good, but on the north coast. If you make it up here check it out. Why are you looking to stay in the south? Kind of curious.

There is "whitewater" here, but not sure of the quality of any of the rivers as I have not run them myself. Being a kayaker, I often hear from non paddlers how "good" a river was only to be disappointed when I got there ;) I recommend checking out Rancho Baiguate. We have been there, but never stayed a night or took their excursions. Looks good, though, you can check them out at

http://www.ranchobaiguate.com.do/english.htm

I can only say that the Jarabacoa/Constanza regions is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. Close call with the Icefields parkway (Banff-Jasper drive in Alberta, CAN) and Samana. It would be pretty cool to see on a mountain bike too, but I wouldn't have the lungs nor the legs to even try it!

Good luck, and safe biking.
marc