Don't Praise Trujillo in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Since his assassination on May 30, 1961, there has been a law in the Dominican Republic prohibiting any promotion of Trujillo.

This week in Constanza, the first persons have been convicted and fined for praising Trujillo. It seems that his grandson's run for the Dominican presidency might have riled some feathers.

Computer translation:

Constanza Tribunal issues first convictions for spreading praises to Trujillo

The two condemned men must perform community work and pay a fine of RD $ 2,000 and RD $ 500

SANTO DOMINGO. The Court of Peace of Constanza condemned this week two people for committing praise for the dictatorship of Rafael Leonidas Trujillo during a ceremony on October 24, 2013, in violation of the 5880-62 Act .

The sentence issued by Judge Cesar Emilio Cabral Ortiz, came against exmilitar Alan Alexander Delgado Mateo and Luis Mar?a P?rez Cruz (Kike Mexican), sentenced to six months and three months, respectively, for violating the aforementioned law, which prohibits praises the past Trujillo regime.

Both also were convicted of violation of the Law on National Symbols shall meet the referred period with community work and will pay RD $ 2,000 and RD $ 500.00, respectively, for the Dominican State.

Convicts must serve a sentence of community work in the city of Constanza and make a public repentance.

A media release from the Federation of Patriotic Foundations and the Memorial Museum of Dominican Resistance said that the accusation of the prosecution states: "Citizens Alexander Delgado Mateo and Luis Mar?a P?rez Cruz (Kike Mexican) Exalted Trujillo Molina and his regime and they made irresponsible use of national symbols against the Dominican State to use public a banner and a suit with praise to the name and image of the tyrant and use the National Flag ".

The communication adds that Delgado Mateo said that '' the march (October 2013) was made in order to draw the attention of the basic services that were at that time and are not now and it's a shame, to reflect and apply good things, fundamental educational principles remeasure our history, we must analyze the good and the bad, and the record that we always knew what we were doing, we shall not dwell in the continuity of what we provide, as did Mr. Mayobanex at the time, the agreement we reached with the Public Ministry is just what we agree, we ask apology for the damage that could have caused. "

Luis Mar?a P?rez Cruz (Kike Mexican) simulated during the act the character of "Super Trujillo" to carry the national flag.

The Federation of Patriotic Foundations and the Memorial Museum of Dominican Resistance recalled that delivered on 10 December 2012, International Human Rights Day, a list with more than 18,000 signatures in Operation "Never Again" to require the Attorney General of the Republic compliance with Law 5880-62.

The signatures were received by the Attorney General Francisco Dominguez Brito, who issued Resolution 000027, in which the effect of such legislation is recognized and ordered all units of the Attorney their faithful compliance, and thus avoid all demonstrations designed to exalt, promote and vindicate the image of the dictator and his regime.

The initiative that was enforced that legislation was adopted following the start of a series of events promoted by some and led other Ramfis Trujillo Dominguez Rafael (El niet?simo), praising the Trujillo regime and its main figure.

http://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...s-por-propagar-alabanzas-a-trujillo-LA3828836

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last year one of the music CD sellers on the beach stopped by our table, and that day Mr. AE was in the mood to look through 200 CDs.

He bought several of them, including a very old CD of the 'Music of Trujillo'. It's a combination of songs written about him and for him, El Jefe. The first time we played it in the car Mr. AE very seriously said that it was illegal to even have that CD, never mind playing it. I laughed at the time, now it isn't so funny. :)

Sep 20, 2003
The posts on the message board following the story (on the Diario Libre website) are interesting. It's good to see that some people can see the absurdity of the situation:

La ridiculez mas grande en el siglo XXI es esa., Aqui los politicos legislan para legalizer el matrimonio gay, el aborto y mas vagabunderias, desfalcan el pais, desde el extranjero se meten miles de kilos de dorgas, hacen cultos satanicos donde sacrifican gente inocente y meten presa a una persona porque hace propaganda trujillista. Por que Diario Libre no hace una encuesta titulada Hace Falta un Trujillo para que vean los politicos el verdadero sentir del pueblo. En este pais hay libertad de culto, se puede adorara a Dios y al Diablo pero le tienen miedo todavia a Trujillo. La verdad que Trujillo hasta desde la tumba todavia nos gobierna.

original.jpg

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The posts on the message board following the story (on the Diario Libre website) are interesting. It's good to see that some people can see the absurdity of the situation:

La ridiculez mas grande en el siglo XXI es esa

I do agree with this comment, to me it is ridiculous. I also think there were other rulers during the 20th Century [and before] who were a lot worse, and their countries have no such restriction.

Not being Dominican, or living under his rule, my opinion is meaningless, of course. Being married to someone who lived as a child under Trujillo, and listening to Dominicans talk about him for 40 years, makes me still think it's a little over the top.

Our older neighbors in DR lived literally in his shadow [one of his homes is right there], if asked they will chatter away for hours with stories.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I do agree with this comment, to me it is ridiculous. I also think there were other rulers during the 20th Century [and before] who were a lot worse, and their countries have no such restriction.

Not being Dominican, or living under his rule, my opinion is meaningless, of course. Being married to someone who lived as a child under Trujillo, and listening to Dominicans talk about him for 40 years, makes me still think it's a little over the top.

Our older neighbors in DR lived literally in his shadow [one of his homes is right there], if asked they will chatter away for hours with stories.

I believe i have read that to honor Hitler in Germany has penalties. As does denying the holocaust.
Der Fish

Aug 6, 2006
A real Hitler would be impossible on a relatively small and poor island nation.
Trujillo was perhaps better than Papa Doc, because he kept a lot of his money in the country, and seems to have unified it more than any other Dominican president before him.
He was a monster, but one that got roads built. Papa Doc sent his ill-gotten money off to finance a possible retirement as a rich Frenchman or Swiss guy, a lingering Haitian tradition.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
If the citizens of this country ever want to live in peace and harmony again
without all the crime or corruption another ?Trujillo? is what its going to take.

Aug 6, 2006
Trujillo did not end crime or corruption so much as he absorbed it. Instead of many, many tiguerillos, there was just one hugely corrupt criminal

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Trujillo did not end crime or corruption so much as he absorbed it. Instead of many, many tiguerillos, there was just one hugely corrupt criminal

I?ve been told by people who were young adults during his rule ,
when he ruled this country the crime rate was much lower and a
lot less government corruption.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I?ve been told by people who were young adults during his rule ,
when he ruled this country the crime rate was much lower and a
lot less government corruption.

I've been told the same thing - but how much of that is just how the world was pre-1960?

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
I believe i have read that to honor Hitler in Germany has penalties. As does denying the holocaust.
Der Fish

At an auction I bought some old audio tapes, which included some old Hitler speeches. Since I had no use for them, I listed them on Ebay. The listing was removed by Ebay, and they informed me that it was considered "hate speech" How can history be considered hate speech? I guess they are trying to whitewash or change history.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
At an auction I bought some old audio tapes, which included some old Hitler speeches. Since I had no use for them, I listed them on Ebay. The listing was removed by Ebay, and they informed me that it was considered "hate speech" How can history be considered hate speech? I guess they are trying to whitewash or change history.

You can thank all of those politically correct muppets in California for this.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Der Fish

HARDLY comparable!
And NOT DR RELATED anyway.

My 70 year old father=in=law
"PRAISES" ,..."El Jefe" all the time!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if the legislators were serious about this law the heads would have to roll by thousands. check comment in dominican media under articles relating to crime and you will see swarms of people calling for el jefe to be back. so either or. the law should not be applied arbitrarily.

also, "kike el mexicano"? LOL.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
HARDLY comparable!
And NOT DR RELATED anyway.

My 70 year old father=in=law
"PRAISES" ,..."El Jefe" all the time!!!!!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

I was responding to a comment someone made saying they didn't believe any other country had any such laws. I know nothing about "El Jefe" nor could I give a damn.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
[video=youtube;SYkbqzWVHZI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYkbqzWVHZI[/video]

Trujillo, Trujillo.Trujillooo... :D

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
I have read a few books on Trujillo and there have been far worse leaders than him. I personally think that todays politically correct clowns have it all wrong. Last week Trudeau made an apology for the Komagata Maru incident that happened in 1914. Why do these idiots feel obliged to apologize for something that happened long before they were even born.

The leaders of the day made decisions that were based on the best information they had and in the best interests of the people they represented. To have some arrogant ahole running around second guessing 100 year old decisions shows how useful he is and history will prove me right.

Trujillo saved a lot of Jewish people from certain death. If the second guessers need something to whine about look at the good he did and quit whining.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
If the citizens of this country ever want to live in peace and harmony again
without all the crime or corruption another ?Trujillo? is what its going to take.

Probably wouldn't work in today's Dominican Republic. Years of relative freedom, growing middle class, more educated people, would not tolerate another Trujillo, even if they thought he could decrease the crime rate and corruption. Putin is a current close example of a Trjuillo mentality. He gets away with it because the Russians never experienced a prolonged period of democratic freedom. They went from a totalitarian state to a convoluted dictatorship. Corruption is more rampant and the rule of law is overshadowed by Putin's subversion of current Russian law to suit his own interests. Also US interests in the Carribbean would not allow them to tolerate another dictatorship in the DR.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Freedom of spee... oh wait.

Suddenly trying to emulate the USA is not an option.

For the sake of argument, does Haiti has a similar law regarding Duvalier? Last I checked, father and son are burried in Haiti. I never thought I would say this, but Haitians are much more advanced than Dominicans when it comes to this issue.