Cap Cana

potus

Dec 27, 2015
Good morning. We currently live in Santo Domingo. Two years ago we scouted out the Punta Cana area for a new place to live. We were extremely impressed by Cap Cana. Now that we are about to start the purchasing process would I like to ask if Cap Cana is still the highest rated Community in the area or if anything else of comparable quality has sprung up?

Thank you.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As a whole, Cap Cana is considered the most exclusive and upmarket residential complex on the East Coast, but the billionaires' row at Corales in the Punta Cana Resort and Club and its other upscale seafront developments (Tortuga Bay, Arrecife, La Cana) are comparable.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Punta Cana Resorts is a large step above Cap Cana.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
I would avoid Cap Cana like the plague ,because of the still poor financial standing of the project .. and I would go for Punta Cana Resorts every time. I assume that you are looking for the high end in the golf resorts . There are a few drawbacks with both but if you were looking to play golf with others in a resort then the you can buy much cheaper at Cocotal ..and the course is not bad, but not scenic . You may care to look at Bavaro also .

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I would avoid Cap Cana like the plague ,because of the still poor financial standing of the project .. and I would go for Punta Cana Resorts every time. I assume that you are looking for the high end in the golf resorts . There are a few drawbacks with both but if you were looking to play golf with others in a resort then the you can buy much cheaper at Cocotal ..and the course is not bad, but not scenic . You may care to look at Bavaro also .

Cocotal is not anything like Cap Cana. Too many run down areas and sketchy residents. Yes, there is a golf course.

Bavaro? I would be interested to know what place in Bavaro compares to Cap Cana or Punta Cana Village. Not familiar with it if there is.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
At Bavaro I was referring to the small number of properties for sale on the Jack Nichlaus Hard Rock Cafe Course . . We do not actually know if the enquirer is a golf enthousiast or not and we have limited our reponses presuming he is .

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
He said "highest rated community" not highest rated golf community. But, no big thing. Maybe the OP will be back.

I am always interested in any good place to live in Bavaro - or La Romana. I like to read your stuff about Romana since we live here part time. Not a golfer myself.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I haven't heard much about Cap Cana financial problems lately. Did they actually default on bonds - what two years ago? Any updates? This would be important to know if one was thinking about buying there.

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
I haven't heard much about Cap Cana financial problems lately. Did they actually default on bonds - what two years ago? Any updates? This would be important to know if one was thinking about buying there.

It's all hush hush now.. Maybe they are hoping "the Donald" is going to come back and change his mind..

Contango

Banned
Dec 27, 2010
At Bavaro I was referring to the small number of properties for sale on the Jack Nichlaus Hard Rock Cafe Course . . We do not actually know if the enquirer is a golf enthousiast or not and we have limited our reponses presuming he is .

I thought that vista cana, or whatever it was called in the HardRock hotel grounds went under? Or if it didn't it has taken 6 years to keep going.. I remember driving around that a few months ago and the concrete has already turned black..

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Do you mean Roko Ki?
The financial problems affected both Cap Cana and Roko Ki after the 2008 crisis.
Cap Cana has emerged more or less intact, with some promising new ventures, but there are still some lingering issues. Every time I visit I wonder about the cost of the upkeep of such a massive property.
Unlike Punta Cana Resort and Club, which has developed gradually and sustainably over more than 40 years, they tried to do much more all at once.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
The Vicini family took over the financially troubled Roko Ki project and I am unsure of their intentions ..nor do I know what happened to the various owners of the sold lots . But I think that Contango is referring to a condo project on the first nine of Hard Rock and that seems to reached an uncertain future, but there are several other private places ,also on the first nine , I think built by a member of Casa de Campo.

PCMike

Aug 30, 2008

There is not a single finished project at Hard Rock Golf...hardly a scenic course in the first place, but the so called "condo" eyesore takes it down yet another level. Decent course to play just the same.

Punta Cana is far and above the Cap Cana project. Unless you can buy in Cap Cana at fire sale prices, I would avoid. It still remains more or less a ghost town, aside from a handful off resorts.