Mass Poisoning of Dogs in Sosua

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
Come on. You're surprised? This happens in all third world countries except where dog is on the menu.
As far as Dr1ers go, if your dog is out and about shame on you.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
That is very sad. The lady that owns Tropical Treasure in Uvero Alto does a sterilization clinc once or twice a year. Hopefully someone in the Sousa area can start one as well.
She gets a vet or 2 to do the surgery and lots of expats volunteer with the post op care.
I really hope this kinda thing spreads around the island

joe

Brain Donor!
Jan 12, 2016
melphis this is sad. However if dogs are running free, regardless if they've sterilized, they are euthanized. Not nice but that's reality.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
That is very sad. The lady that owns Tropical Treasure in Uvero Alto does a sterilization clinc once or twice a year. Hopefully someone in the Sousa area can start one as well.

http://www.aaasosua.com/

They also have a little thrift shop in Sosua with the proceeds going to aaasosua. It's right next to The Checkpoint Bar. I bought a 1960's pedestal fan in there - it weighs about 100 lbs and sounds like a Cesna revving for takeoff. Worth stopping in and browsing or donating unused items to a good cause.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Come on. You're surprised? This happens in all third world countries except where dog is on the menu.

Sad....happens in Toronto Canada also... One A$$hole always ruins it for everyone..

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
She gets a vet or 2 to do the surgery and lots of expats volunteer with the post op care.
I really hope this kinda thing spreads around the island

Sterilization has been done in Sosua for many years thanks AAAS and DRDC. They both have free clinics every few months and vets from all around the world come and donate their time. They sterilize on average 60 dogs/cats per clinic.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I got the impression that these were not street dogs. One of the articles specifically said they thought the dogs were killed in order to later rob the homes.

Sounded to me like they were inside their property.

DRDone

Sep 29, 2014
I got the impression that these were not street dogs. One of the articles specifically said they thought the dogs were killed in order to later rob the homes.

Sounded to me like they were inside their property.

Would like to hear the rest of the story. I found that every time a dog died/got killed then a bunch of people would then warn you that you were going to be robbed, regardless of the circumstances. Yes, if this was a mass killing on different private properties then it becomes very suspicious. Then the question becomes what are you going to do? The police won't have money to drive to your home, unless they are in on it.
In general a lot of Dominicans don't like dogs, so could be a variety of reasons.
Nobody informed me before I moved there that if/when your dog gets killed you are then likely going to be robbed.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Has anyone read the link posted in the OP?

En cangrejos, Sos?a.- Con indignaci?n reaccionaron los residentes del sector Altos de Chila de cangrejos la ma?ana de hoy al percatarse de que 13 perros propiedad de diferentes familias hab?an sido envenenados por personas desconocidas.

Las causas del detestable hecho se desconocen, pero la mayor?a de personas coinciden en que se trata de delincuentes que eliminan a los perros para perpetrar hechos delictivos.

Los denunciantes formularon un llamado a las autoridades del ministerio Publico y Polic?a Nacional para que ordenen de inmediato las investigaciones y dar con el paradero de los autores, que adem?s de llevar la intranquilidad a la comunidad, cometieron un hecho b?rbaro por el que tienen que pagar.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't know anything about this latest incident other than what I read and the reasons for such an incident in this country are numerous. Sometimes, it's just someone who does not like barking dogs. Many local dogs are rarely brought inside and when house after house has dogs, one could surmise that the cumulative total barking could be near constant.

Not suitable justification in my book, but a possibility. Just as likely, some deranged individual was just being themselves.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Would like to hear the rest of the story. I found that every time a dog died/got killed then a bunch of people would then warn you that you were going to be robbed, regardless of the circumstances. Yes, if this was a mass killing on different private properties then it becomes very suspicious. Then the question becomes what are you going to do? The police won't have money to drive to your home, unless they are in on it.
In general a lot of Dominicans don't like dogs, so could be a variety of reasons.
Nobody informed me before I moved there that if/when your dog gets killed you are then likely going to be robbed.

I have a hard time believing that most Dominicans hate dogs !!! First time in my life on tv in DR funeral burials for dogs on tv cremation.. All on tv never seen that before...

Jul 28, 2014
Out of curiosity, what exactly do they use to poison the dogs, I only ask as it seems something readily obtainable?

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010

My my! You have been around..

All of the third world.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Indeed, barking dogs can be a problem but I don?t think killing them is the answer.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
This product is usually imported illegally from the Dominican Republic, Mexico and other Latin American countries. The name means "three little steps" in Spanish. The name implies that the product is so poisonous, mice will die very quickly after eating the poison. The active ingredient in Tres Pasitos is aldicarb. The EPA considers aldicarb to be a very toxic chemical that should never be used in your home.

Children and pets are especially vulnerable to poisoning by Tres Pasitos. The product is made of small brown grains that look like food. Tres Pasitos is often sold in sandwich bags with little or no labeling. Touching, breathing or swallowing even a small amount of Tres Pasitos can cause vomiting, weakness, dizziness, sweating, and shortness of breath.

Aldicarb is a carbamate insecticide which is the active substance in the pesticide Temik. It is effective against thrips, aphids, spider mites, lygus, fleahoppers, and leafminers, but is primarily used as a nematicide.[1] Aldicarb is a cholinesterase inhibitor which prevents the breakdown of acetylcholine in the synapse. In case of severe poisoning, the victim dies of respiratory failure.

Aldicarb is one of the most widely used pesticides internationally, and is also one of the most environmentally toxic. Aldicarb poisoning from agricultural water runoff has led to the destruction of healthy ecosystems and the irreversible poisoning of fertile agricultural land. Poisoning from this pesticide is also believed to be linked to high cancer rates in communities located around the Aral Sea.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Some times Salud Publica performs spray poison operativos in order to control the population, not sure if this is the case as it's well known that robberies does the same from time to time in the areas they are targeting in order to break in the houses.

Welcome to DR!

JJ