She contacts brokers, and no response.

Is it because they don't want

to work with foreigners or

is it because the listings are fake?

If people can shed light on this subject,

that would be great!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

What area. Perhaps one of us could recommend a good broker or refer you to someone we know.
    Don't give up this early

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm... that is really strange. Try https://tranio.com/ Usually they contact you within 24 hours

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by businessdr View Post
    Wife's sister has been trying

to move out into her own apartment.

Poor customer service skills

Poor internet skills

Old listings never taken down

Also keep in mind that with a listing on a Caribbean island there are a lot of "tire kickers" that never plan on actually doing anything. So people that are renting get discouraged and respond less frequently thinking it's not worth their effort. Doesn't make it right, but it's reality.

Keep at it, she'll find something.

5. Likes Mauricio, Harleysrock, Garyexpat, AnnaC, jd426 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Use this wonderful invention where you instantly hear a person's voice or if they have an office near by drop in and I'm sure assistant will be quicker. Like someone above said, if they are not good at keeping websites up to date or if they have a website because it's the modern thing to do your sister in law will be waiting a long time.
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

7. Likes KateP liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Fully understand. Went through agents advertising rental properties on line in Santo Domingo and the response is slow at best if at all and rarely are the postings still available.

Best bet is to visit the areas you like and take down the details on rental advertising boards and give them a call.

It is one thing to promote the digital age is here in DR and yet another to make it happen. Oh and does she have a DR credit rating and a guarantor who will co-sign the lease....a near necessity in Santo Domingo and perhaps why they are less forward with foreigners?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by businessdr View Post
    Wife's sister has been trying

to move out into her own apartment.

Is it because they don't want

to work with foreigners or

is it because the listings are fake?

If people can shed light on this subject,

that would be great!
    You'll find that most agents are useless here. You need to drive around the area that you want and contact the owners directly-most the time they will have their direct number listed on the sign.

10. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

As Others have already said , its poor customers service in the DR..

but HOW are you contacting them, is the key. If you are not reaching them by PHONE, with a clear message in spanish, imo you are wasting your time.
    Email ? lol.. forget about it.. you will be waiting a long time.

You got a better chance on Facebook or Wassapp ( Most Dominicans love to check it daily. and use the free Whatsapp to communicate with their family members.
    Just put them in your Contacts to see if they are using Whatsapp , you can always erase them later.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I found a very professional broker in SD. His website is professional, good photos, he showed us about 5 houses, works fast. He also took our house in his portfolio and took a lot of time on a Saturday morning to hear us about our house, took excellent photos and wanted to bring interested potential buyers within a week after publishing or house.

We actually did a step back and took it out of the market because we aren't sure if we actually want to move, but would highly recommend him both for buying and selling. I can send his details by pm.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
    I found a very professional broker in SD. His website is professional, good photos, he showed us about 5 houses, works fast. He also took our house in his portfolio and took a lot of time on a Saturday morning to hear us about our house, took excellent photos and wanted to bring interested potential buyers within a week after publishing or house.

We actually did a step back and took it out of the market because we aren't sure if we actually want to move, but would highly recommend him both for buying and selling. I can send his details by pm.
    I'm glad you found a reliable broker. I think there is a huge $$$$$ motivation between a potential sale and a rental.

Not sure what an agent gets in the DR to rent a place. I suspect not much.
    Moderator Visa forums
    www.DR1.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast