Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016 Hurricane Season

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MikeFisher View Post
    the closer one, around 60 hrs away from the Leeward Islands,
    is a still not active system, means it is a Tropical Wave but no low pressure area nearby to interact with.
    it should arrive at the Caribbean around the northern Islands Belt, very low probabilities for any kinda threat for our home soil.
    no conditions to favor development on the way over here so far, so IF it would start to do something, it would start that late, once it is already close to the Islands.
    doesn't look like something to watch at this moment.
    the further one SE of the Cabo Verde Islands is a active Tropical Wave sharing the ride with a surface Low Pressure System.
    it has good chances to develop into a minor storm system the next days but no freakin' way it will make it over here.
    it will be long gone from the Maps before it could come close to Paradise Isle.
    the Sun is hot, the Sand sandy, the Water at the doorstep salty and the greenies ice cold.
    at the moment there is zero out there that could stand a chance to change the slightest bit of that.
    Life is good.
    let's keep it rolling.

Mike
    I've been in St. Martin for the last week securing and mounting a new prop and was looking to leave Saturday Morning. I haven't been following the weather because Ive been a little busy. A friend from St. Thomas just told me about this disturbance, but didn't elaborate much about it. I'm glad you did, and I'm glad you've opened the thread back up Mike.

2. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Invest 97L seems like it could become a threat in a few days from what I am now reading, when it progresses through the Caribbean Sea and runs just to the south of the Greater Antilles. Intensity models vary but tracks seem consistent. Someone was suggesting we may have a named storm by tomorrow am. Hope not.....want to fly back home.

Mike would appreciate your thoughts.

I'm in the Northern Leewards with a planned return to SDQ tomorrow, but the rains and winds have begun today and a night of weather is in prospect to dampen the Culturama holiday festival. The clouds have descended down from Mt Nevis.

I've stocked up with cold Caribs for the evening in any case.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Mike would know best, but 97 looks to just be rain and some 30 knot winds as it travels through the Leeward islands into the Caribbean because of a high in its path west producing dry air that doesn't give it the fuel it needs to strengthen. It is said that when entering the Caribbean waters, it will run into more favorable conditions and become a named storm. It may stall once it hits the warmer Caribbean waters and the high pressure lessens but too early to tell right now what effect this storm will have on the DR.

Moderator - North Coast Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

there is a chance of a hurricane with recent rainy and windy weather:
    http://www.elcaribe.com.do/2016/08/0...-onda-tropical

yellow alert in san cristóbal, peravia, azua, barahona and pedernales. beaches closed from altagracia province to pedernales.

North Coast Moderator

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

the center of the very likely soon to become named Storm is located somewhere south of Haiti.
    it moves on quick 20mphrs westward, so the rough time for the southshores is this afternoon and this evening as they are under the influence of the NE'ern bands of the system.
    i can imagine that some strong rainfalls came down there today.
    by tomorrow it should be far enough out West so the influence goes down and all calms back down again.

Mike

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha, now you show up, AFTER the water came in into the 5th floor of my penthouse and flew down the stairs into the 4th floor. Had you told me before I, I, I would still have everything f###ing wet...

Just kidding. all good, errr wet, but nothing damaged b/c we had it coming. But damn, was it pouring down here, luckily it was over after 10 minutes, very fast moving forward...

8. Likes MikeFisher liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by caribmike View Post
    Ha, now you show up, AFTER the water came in into the 5th floor of my penthouse and flew down the stairs into the 4th floor. Had you told me before I, I, I would still have everything f###ing wet...

Just kidding. all good, errr wet, but nothing damaged b/c we had it coming. But damn, was it pouring down here, luckily it was over after 10 minutes, very fast moving forward...
    hahaha
    so much for poor buildings.
    when a short downpour of less than an hour brings water into the place, then a Move to a "better place" should be considered, lol.
    anyways, not checking about some rain.
    the important point is that we do not have a Storm coming towards our Isle blowing away the upper 3 floors of the leaking 5 floor building.
    while it rained a lot last night with thunder seeming to try to take away the roof of our place,
    today no rain so far all day long where i was around, at least not when i was around.
    dry roads this morning from Cabeza de Toro to Cap Cana to San Juan and then Veron and back to Cabeza de Toro.
    the Ocean had some nice 15ft WaterWalls built around the Passage early morning, wind been nasty all night long.
    but under the line nothing happened here on the East.
    we had a cloudy father's day, followed by a rainy night and topday a cloudy monday with comfy fresh air.
    the Ocean has tomorrow all day and night to calm down here on the East,
    Wednesday we will be back offshore for the salty fun.
    the SW of the Island will of course be a bit behind that shedule, the system brings up the Sea in the SW of DR well rougher than it did here on the eastshores.
    but it's all fine.

Mike

10. Likes Bronxboy, caribmike liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Reports are that "Earl" who is now a Cat 1 hurricane and headed for Belize and Honduras, left 6 dead in the DR.. ??????

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    Reports are that "Earl" who is now a Cat 1 hurricane and headed for Belize and Honduras, left 6 dead in the DR.. ??????
    News reports I've read are making the correlation of the formation of Earl as it passed by, with the bus that came in contact with some high voltage lines (maybe downed by the weather) in or around the Nagua area. Reportedly six died in the onset, but the rest escaped the resulting fire. Here is video here somewhere

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Morning Mike,

There is coming something... Can you predict where this will be on Saturday and if I have to rent yolas for my wedding ?

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/gtwo.php?basin=atlc&fdays=2

Page 3 of 71 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast