REtiring in DR: Las Terrenas Versus Saman?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
We went once to each place to see them. My wife, who is Dominican, for some reason was "creeped out" by Semana. We had planned on spending the night after meeting with some people who were on a cruise, but went right back to Cabarete after seeing them.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
We went once to each place to see them. My wife, who is Dominican, for some reason was "creeped out" by Semana. We had planned on spending the night after meeting with some people who were on a cruise, but went right back to Cabarete after seeing them.

When you refer to Samana I am guessing you are talking about Samana City itself. Samana city along the Malecon is ok but the town is kind of dumpy when you get back off the main drag. Las Terrenas is the place to retire.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
When you refer to Samana I am guessing you are talking about Samana City itself. Samana city along the Malecon is ok but the town is kind of dumpy when you get back off the main drag. Las Terrenas is the place to retire.

I am indeed referring to Samana city and its dumpiness. Las Terrenas was OK, but nothing very compelling about the location to either of us.

Aug 6, 2006
I would imagine that if you are retiring, the accessibility of decent medical care would be a major interest.
I do not know whether this would be better in Saman?, Las Terrenas or some other location.
I know that even in a fairly large Dominican city, (Barahona) if one has any sort of uncommon medical condition, they get sent to the capital, because the provincial city either lacks the equipment or the medical staff to deal with such conditions.
I am aware that Barahona is a bit behind the times when compared with the more prosperous cities of the North Coast.

The one sure thing is that retired people are older than the average Dominican in the average Dominican place, and everyone gets older and when people get older, they need more medical attention.

A friend once said that his idea of the ideal way to go was to be murdered in bed by an angry cuckolded husband at the age of 104.
But this is a rare occurrence,

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I am indeed referring to Samana city and its dumpiness. Las Terrenas was OK, but nothing very compelling about the location to either of us.

I guess it depends what your interests are. If you are not beach people then Las Terrenas and area is probably not your cup of tea. What is great about LT is the large European populations which goods and services you won't find in the rest of the DR. There is also a steady supply of electricity. Again it all depends on what your interests are. You have to way the plusses and minuses in whatever area you are looking at. Having an airport less than 30 minutes from LT is a big plus. Good luck and good travels

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Airport - is a plus if it has flights to/from where you come from.

AZS is quite limited these days for Americans..... like ZERO flights

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I guess it depends what your interests are. If you are not beach people then Las Terrenas and area is probably not your cup of tea. What is great about LT is the large European populations which goods and services you won't find in the rest of the DR. There is also a steady supply of electricity. Again it all depends on what your interests are. You have to way the plusses and minuses in whatever area you are looking at. Having an airport less than 30 minutes from LT is a big plus. Good luck and good travels

The type of European population I found in Las Terrenas was not necessarily a positive benefit. I am 20 minutes to an airport that has flights to the USA. There are quite a few beaches within a 2 to 45 minute drive from where I live including the best kite surfing and regular surfing beaches in the DR here in Cabarete.

What services do those Europeans provide that are not found in the rest of the DR?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The type of European population I found in Las Terrenas was not necessarily a positive benefit. I am 20 minutes to an airport that has flights to the USA. There are quite a few beaches within a 2 to 45 minute drive from where I live including the best kite surfing and regular surfing beaches in the DR here in Cabarete.

What services do those Europeans provide that are not found in the rest of the DR?

Better restaurants and beaches around Las Terrenas are better for swimming and visually look much better. I do get your point about the European population.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have visited the North Coast several times, lived on the South Coast and visited Las Terrenas once for a few days. Personally I loved Las Terrenas and thought the beaches were better than the North or South Coast, I loved the selection and standard of the bars and restaurants, and the European flavour is obvious in the selection of food in the shops and the bars and restaurants. For example several European products in the supermarkets, great wine selections, lovely French bakeries. The whole vibe of Las Terrenas is like a combination of St. Tropez mixed with the DR which I personally enjoyed. What I didn't like was the lack of electricity as I was there when the change over from the private system was happening and no one seemed to have sorted generators and inverters yet, and the amount of traffic, especially quad bikes in the main street. I think the lack of medical care used to be an issue, but I understand there is now a clinic there. if I was coming to the DR now and looking for somewhere to retire, it would be at the top of my list. Having said that, I am European so it may not be as attractive to North Americans as it is to Europeans.

Matilda

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008

I agree, it seems they are not as friendly to strangers from North america. Just imo

jruane44

Bronze
Jul 2, 2004
A, A
Better restaurants and beaches around Las Terrenas are better for swimming and visually look much better. I do get your point about the European population.

Not a big fan of surfing or kite surfing........actually I find it annoying when going into the water. I will take the Europeans over the kite surfers.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Matilda is, as they say, spot on! If I were to retire to the Dominican Republic and could afford LT there is no question LT it would be. Having said that, I have always been concerned about health care in the country, and LT is no exception. I haven't required health care in the 15 years I have visited there, so I really don't know, but I'm skeptical.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

You have some of the best restaurants from French to Italian to German. You have home design services and products you would have a hard time locating even in SD. You also have many small hotels to choose from. There is also the benefit if you speak French, Italian, German or Spanish you will be right at home. If you didn't like LT that's ok but you're in the minority of people I have spoken with. Again, it depends on what you are looking for. Cabarate is ok but it has more appeal to a younger crowd and it seems to have more of a tourist/beach bar feel. I am of retirement age and prefer LT. Good luck and good travels.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Froggie seemed to enjoy his time there in LT (mountainfrog)....but he came to Santiago for some medical issues.

I just got a nice report from some US college folks that were there last weekend.

It used to be a retreat for wealthy, socially tip-top, Dominicans but as soon as it became popular, they all hauled axx to other places.

Cordially,

HB

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
I am an Englishman and retired to LT some 10/15 years ago, I don?t say Brit any more there are too many of them from somewhere that ends
in .....stan. I like LT. I don?t get around much any more - very slow healing broken legs. I?ve never been interested in water sports other than slow
pottering around in a sailing boat.
I don?t do night clubs. I enjoy an early evening beer with the boys and girls a couple of evenings a month. I enjoy a beer at the beach, enjoying
smell, the sights, the sun. Eat out maybe 4 evenings or lunchtimes a year. I?ll be 80 in August but I still enjoy being chatted up by some youn
g lady who thinks that I will do some business with her, he spirit is willing but the flesh is weak, besides I don?t think my wife would approve!!
Yes I like it here, if I don?t want to be energetic I don?t have to be.
Judging by the noise in some areas the night club scene is very active and ig and when I have to take someone for an early morning guagua
it surprises me just how many scantily clad girls don?t seem to have been able to find a partner,
As you see I?m pretty happy here most of the time.