Travelling to Puerto Plato

Jessica

Jan 31, 2002
I?ll go to Puerto Plata, Playa Dorada, in april this year. I?ll stay in a resort, but I like to take the resort only as a home from which I start my travelling. I?m planing to go to the DR for six month maybe in september and I like to use this holiday for preparing my stay. Now I?m searching for tips! Which places should I visit and where should I stay for a little time to get a good impression about the "real" life in the DR?

Thank you for any help!

Jessica

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am surprised you haven't received a thousand invitations...

anyway, there are a lot of nice side trips offered at the resorts at Playa Dorada. Still sort of canned goods but you do get a view of the countryside.

A trip to Santiago-definately not a tourist place- is certainly worthwhile. it will give you a taste of real life here. Visit the University and talk to the students (PUCMM)...lots of them are bilingual and all are friendly.

Interesting play you have. At least you are thinking things thru.

HB

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Places to visit

Be sure to check out Sosua/Cabarete, you will not regret it. 30 minutes from Playa Dorada. Take a guagua (public transportation in the form of a minivan, 10RD from Playa Dorada to Sosua, 15RD to Cabarete).

If looking for a place to stay we have used "L'Agence" located on the main street in Cabarete (there really is only one street, actually...hehe) and have been happy with them.

Depends what you are looking for, but for a 6 month stay it sounds like you are after some beach life and some laid back "time out" from regular life. Cabarete may be the place for you.

marc

Jessica

Jan 31, 2002
Thank you guys for posting and giving me some nice ideas.

Marc, you are wrong, I don?t like to have only beach life and some laid back "time out" from regular life. Surely the stay in the DR would be totally different from my life here in germany, but I don?t want to have only holiday while staying in the DR for six month.
My little son will come with me and I hope, that there is any possibility to get a work although I have to care about him.
If you or anybody else have some good ideas how to manage that, please tell them to me.

When I?m in Puerto Plata I will check "L?Agence" and see, if there is anything for me.