Cevicos......DR pineapple capital

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Saw this government video on Hoy today and reminded me of a thread about a year back, when the state of the road between Cotui and Sabana de Grand Boya was discussed. Couldn't find it

[video=youtube_share;VyPgc4l8GAs]https://youtu.be/VyPgc4l8GAs[/video]

I was visiting my 'esposa's abuela and tias' who live near the village of San Pedro between Sabana and Cevicos a couple of weeks back. I went from the capital via the Samana autopista and Sabana, but decided to go back on by a longer previously untraveled route via Cevicos and Cotui, with the aim of picking up pineapples and other local produce on the way understanding the road was good. I always try to visit new places.

For the poster from last years thread contemplating the drive from Cotui, you have to turn at an unsigned turning after Cevicos at a small place called Donna Maria after some verdant tropical countryside, otherwise you are on your way to the capital on route 11.

https://www.google.com.do/maps/plac...020f24060df 7e0!8m2!3d18.735693!4d-70.162651

The road between Sabana de Grand Boya and Cotui is now surfaced with tarmac all the way and is a lovely drive. (There is a very short section unpaved and suspect it is at the boundary between Monte Plata and Sanchez Ramirez provinces). The short section of road between the Samana autopista and Sabana is not so good after the recent rains.

And there are loads of pineapple farms near Cevicos.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i gotta call these folks or something because i've been trying to grow those mofokas in my garden for ages and they just slowly rot away.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???!!!

jefe de la finca

Sep 28, 2012
i gotta call these folks or something because i've been trying to grow those mofokas in my garden for ages and they just slowly rot away.
WHAT AM I DOING WRONG???!!!

This is the method I use and has proved to be reasonably successful.

Twist the top off and place it in a glass of water with a few drops of liquid plant food added, pushed in deep enough so that just the bottom lower leaves are in the water. Wait until you see the roots developing and are about 1cm long before planting out in the garden. Some will argue this is not necessary but it works for me. I like to give the plant a good head start.

I have found that my pineapples do far better in semi shade, the ones I have growing in full sunlight all day do not fair as well. Again just my personal experience.. One side of my garden borders a cacao plantation so I plant them along that edge, just under the canopy of the trees. If you have a spot in your garden that is shaded for most of the day then that would be a good spot .
Soil type is important. Pineapples like acidic soil so if you are in an area on top of caliche you will need to lower the soil pH to somewhere between neutral and 4.5 You can do this by adding organic matter. Many types of organic matter, like compost, composted manure, and acidic mulches (e.g. pine needles) can gradually lower your soil pH over time. The organic matter also adds nutrients which the plant needs to thrive.
Don't over water, keep the ground damp and well drained or the roots will just rot away.

Buena suerte con sus pi?as!

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
Dole Pineapple Came to the Dominican Republic because they were given an exoneration on carton boxes. That is their profit margin. The brought a complete processing plant all the way from the pacific islands. Set everything up, planted, hired hundreds of Dominicans. Now what do you think happened Cartonera hernandes took them to court for bringing in their own boxes . End result Dole either had to buy boxes from Cartonera hernandes or go out of buisness. They went out of buisness left the country and all their equipment and said they will never return. [ They had another processing plant on the way here to increse production this was also canceled] End result and lesson to everyone who wants to do buisness here. Do not believe what you are told or you will be SORRY.

xstew

Jul 4, 2012
What did the AMREICAN EMBASSY DO. NOTHING not eaven a small protest THis was DOLE PINEAPPLE !!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Buena suerte con sus pi?as!

thanks for all the tips. i planted 4 well rooted plants last week. in a sunny spot for all previous ones were in the shade of a mango tree so i wanted to give them a different environment. i have 3 more in the water now so will plant those in a more shady spot.
i have some abono for plants but not sure if i can use it as we have two dogs roaming that part of the garden. fingers crossed now.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
DR1 News Today

Monte Plata is again becoming a prime pineapple growing area

Private investors are behind new pineapple plantations in central Monte Plata province. Monte Plata boasts a climate and soils that are ideal for pineapple cultivation. Two decades ago, Dole was among the first to develop plantations in Monte Plata, but when the company left the country after a dispute over packaging issues, the plantations were abandoned. While private investment is in the lead, the Medina administration’s Special Fund for Farming Development (FEDA) is also providing financial support for the project.

The Dominican Republic is on the way to becoming the second largest producer of pineapples in the world.

https://www.diariolibre.com/noticias...pais-XH9786752

Perhaps Monte Plata will take over from adjacent Sanchez Ramirez which appears to be the pineapple growing heartland. Plenty of land in the border zone between the two provinces where some of my fiancé's family live is being cultivated with pineapple these days. It is seriously beautiful country in these parts just an hour or so north of the capital.

Interesting to see DR is on the way to becoming the second biggest producer in the world.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
thanks for all the tips. i planted 4 well rooted plants last week. in a sunny spot for all previous ones were in the shade of a mango tree so i wanted to give them a different environment. i have 3 more in the water now so will plant those in a more shady spot.
i have some abono for plants but not sure if i can use it as we have two dogs roaming that part of the garden. fingers crossed now.

I cut top of of 4 pineapples placed each one in a pot and have had all four produce pineapples every year, so not sure why you are having difficulties

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I cut top of of 4 pineapples placed each one in a pot and have had all four produce pineapples every year, so not sure why you are having difficulties

you ever heard of "green thumb"? my thumbs are black like bubonic plague blisters. none of my pineapple plants ever survived. not. even. one.

mobrouser

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002

I'm curious how long after planting did you harvest? Are the pots outdoors?

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I always thought pineapples will be most likely to grow on dryer and hotter areas. Las Canelas, Villa Gonzalez and Navarrete used to be greats pineapples producers.

JJ

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I always thought pineapples will be most likely to grow on dryer and hotter areas. Las Canelas, Villa Gonzalez and Navarrete used to be greats pineapples producers.

JJ

nice to have you back, bachata. i hope this means you are fully recovered..

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006

i saw pineapple farms in montecristi area. dried up, dusty and hot as f. but pinas seemed to like it.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
i saw pineapple farms in montecristi area. dried up, dusty and hot as f. but pinas seemed to like it.

My understanding is that there are different variety of pineapples, I never saw this fruit with seeds until I moved here in the US.
The ones I get here in NC come mostly from Center American countries.

Same with the watermelon too much seeds the ones I buy over here.

JJ

May 4, 2018
They're bromeliads. Too much water and they rot. Interesting How it's Made program on them. They're native to the Caribbean and once fetched huge sums of money in Europe.

I switch between pineapple and papaya batidas. I like pineapple more, but it's more of a chore to prep them.

[video=youtube_share;8UayDfnszEc]https://youtu.be/8UayDfnszEc[/video]

What are the flat pineapples called? Smaller and a bit bigger than a hand. I've only seen them at local fruit stands and even then only a few times.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Alida plants the tops in pots. Here is one that just popped up last week or so:

scBoTh.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
can she come over to my place? i promise to let her go once she gets a farm going in my backyard.