Driving to Bavaro, anything on the way to look at?

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
Hi,

I will be going with a friend to Bavaro for a few days and we were wondering if there are any sights, interesting places on the way we should stop for?

The best way seems to be via Nagua, then down route 7 (this is the toll road, or?), San Pedro, La Romana, ...

We are not in a hurry, so detours are fine. I've seen Samana and Las Galeras.

Thanks guys

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Once you reach Las Americas you will go past Boca Chica and Juan Dolio, and you could take a detour into San Pedro or La Romana, or stop at Cueva de las Maravillas, which is on the highway between those two points.
http://www.explorelaromana.com/en/aventuras_ecologicas/cueva-de-las-maravillas/

Between La Romana and Higuey you could take a detour to Bahayibe or Boca de Yuma, both scenic coastal villages with good seafood restaurants. Bayahibe is much more touristy but still retains some authenticity.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Stop off to enjoy the beaches in the Playa Grande-Cabrera area. Go for lunch to Playa Rogelio beach. There is good parking in Playa Grande where you can have a swim in the Playa Grande area, and then right next door in Playa Preciosa. Also check out Laguna Dudu for zip-lining or just touring this eco-touristic park area.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Hi,

I will be going with a friend to Bavaro for a few days and we were wondering if there are any sights, interesting places on the way we should stop for?

The best way seems to be via Nagua, then down route 7 (this is the toll road, or?), San Pedro, La Romana, ...

We are not in a hurry, so detours are fine. I've seen Samana and Las Galeras.

Thanks guys

The most amazing thing along the toll road just about the south end is a forest of palm trees which have had their tops all chopped off a long time ago.I noticed them the first time I took that road all of 5 years ago, but was it some crop that was harvested in that manner? Be aware that from the south end of the toll road there are no gas stations from there until you arrive at Bavaro.
Der Fish

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Altos de Chavon (La Romana)
Cueva de las Maravillas (San Pedro)
If a detour is fine: Los Tres Ojos in Santo Domingo (not that far from the end point of the highway from Nagua.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Be aware that from the south end of the toll road there are no gas stations from there until you arrive at Bavaro.
Der Fish
There are a couple on the Boca Chica stretch and the newish one near the toll station after La Romana.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There are a couple on the Boca Chica stretch and the newish one near the toll station after La Romana.

It's been 90 days since I passed by there and when one turns east before the final toll booth there wadn't none for 177 kilometers.

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
worth stopping at is the last parada on the toll road south - Great Ribs....tom

Ribs .... mmmhhhhh.... there are two things I miss, one is a decent BBQ, the other one is Indian food.

Thanks for all the info guys, will make sure to fill up the gas tank.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
this thread reads like: how to gain 10 pounds in a single road trip. :cheeky:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a Indian restaurant in B?varo (los Corales) called Pranama, or is that why you're headed this way?

si225

Dec 26, 2012
People have mentioned Tres Ojos and Cueva de las Maravillas. These are relatively short and I recommend them. In addition on the toll road to SD, there is a really nice waterfall and area to swim. It's about 15 min from the highway (Salto De Socoa). Try to avoid weekends unless you like people a lot. It's about midway on Rt 7. The Aquarium in SD is also sort of fun and it is close to the highway not far out of the way from Rt 7. There are hotels in Boca Chica and (I have been told) really nice Cabanas in San Isidro which is also relatively close to the Rt. 7 junction with the coastal highway. If you feel that Sosua has gotten too high-end for your tastes, Boca Chica is an interesting place to spend the night (I have been told).

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
If you feel that Sosua has gotten too high-end for your tastes, Boca Chica is an interesting place to spend the night (I have been told).

that sentence made my day

been there, done that, don't care to repeat. but maybe my friend want's to have that experience also.

robbiee

Bronze
Dec 27, 2014
www.dominicanfun.net
so basically you drive through half of exotic, tropical country, with mountains, beaches, lakes and crazy people and you ask "is there something interesting to see on the road"

nah, nothing interesting in there :pPP Sosua and Punta Cana is where the life is, outside is the void :pPP