Best Road

tmob12000

May 28, 2013
Which is the best route from Cabarete to Punta Cana?
We have some friends flying in for a wedding and would like to go pick them up for a few days.
I have driven all over the place except that direction so some words of wisdom would be great.

Thank in advance
Tom

Last edited:

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
cabarete to the capitol to punta cana might be a cheaper in tolls, but the cabarete to nagua to punta cana is way more scenic and less hectic for sure.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Correct!
Take the coastal highway to Nagua, then the toll road to Las Am?ricas, then the highways out to Punta Cana.
This would be the fastest way, and most direct, and probably the least stressful. Just missing Santo Domingo
is worth the tolls.

HB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Cabarete to Nagua & toll road - about 2hrs

Toll road to Las Americas Hwy - an hour

From there , I am uncertain but you're at the airport when you finish the toll road (basically), so take it form there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cabarete to Nagua & toll road - about 2hrs

Toll road to Las Americas Hwy - an hour

From there , I am uncertain but you're at the airport when you finish the toll road (basically), so take it form there.

From the end of the toll road go left through Boca Chica and then take the toll road towards Punta Cana. About 1:45 from
the airport. Toll is total of 250rd.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You show going all the way to the ocean, why not turn east on what is marked here as #4 and avoid the last toll booth and all the city traffic? It is called Mello Highway or something like that.
Der Fish

Do not do this. I tried it once and actually went back to the Toll Road, as this way looks good on the map but gets you
nowhere fast.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I had the great idea last year of trying it out to try and avoid Boca Chica. Never again. My poor Picanto did not appreciate all the potholes and rough patches and I didn't appreciate being a woman travelling alone in the middle of nowhere.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
As everyone has suggested, take the coast road from Cabarete through Rio San Juan, Cabrera and then to Nagua. You need to pay attention in Nagua not to miss the left turn signposted for Santo Domingo and Sanchez. The sign post is right on the junction and easily missed, just past the hospital on the left. Cabarete - Nagua = 2 hrs.

Then take the toll road towards Santo Domingo. First toll is 213 pesos, second toll is 181 pesos, third is 53 pesos. Nagua - Las Americas = 1 hr. Watch your speed, there are AMET cops with radar guns trying to fine people for speeding. The speed limit is 80 kph. I was flagged down once. I was doing at least 120 kph. I didn't stop and kept driving thinking they might get me at the next toll booth. Guess what? They didn't!

At the end of the toll road turn left then immediately keep in the right lane heading down the underpass. At the underpass turn right, but take the left lane. This is will bring you out on the eastbound carriageway on the autopista Las Americas. Next toll is 30 pesos.

Follow the autopista Las Americas through Boca Chica, Juan Dolio, San Pedro and La Romana. At La Romana make sure you keep right and follow the signs for the new highway to Punta Cana. Tolls are 100 pesos, 50 pesos and 100 pesos. Las Americas - Punta Cana = 2.30 hrs.

Total driving time without stopping is 5.30 hrs. Total toll costs is 727 pesos.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Do not do this. I tried it once and actually went back to the Toll Road, as this way looks good on the map but gets you
nowhere fast.

Just drop off on the right hand exit and turn left under the toll road, and go straight for 177 kilometers. Yes the road is in bad repair, but not for too long, then it joins the highway. Very low traffic. And I have never had the problem of being a woman and doing anything! But i do under stand her concern.

Der Fish

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Gotta love the parada on the north/south road between nagua and santo domingo!
Reminds me of the old parada between puerto plata and santiago. Gotta get my frituras and dulce , and bottle of brugal.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
You need to try the BBQ at Monte Plata....
not the luxo Texaco.... the little joint across the side road from it.

Really, really good.... a wooden shack
Not cheap but great !!!

Giving away another secret... very unlike me but I need to keep the guy alive:ermm:

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Correct!
Take the coastal highway to Nagua, then the toll road to Las Am?ricas, then the highways out to Punta Cana.
This would be the fastest way, and most direct, and probably the least stressful. Just missing Santo Domingo
is worth the tolls.

HB

The toll road is east of Nagua off Rt 5, a few KMs from El Catey airport. This is the same route from Cabarate. You need to come through Nagua and follow signs for Samana. The toll road will be accessed off rt 5 with a right turn onto the Santo-Domingo Highway Rt7. I believe when this highway ends you have to head toward Las Americas Airport to access the road to Boca Chica.