From Temporary to Permanent Residence after your mandated 4 legal renewals

Jan 17, 2009
WARNING: This is just for people interested in applying for this change of status on their own, without a lawyer. For those using a lawyer, it is not worth the read. It?s long and detailed for a purpose, and your lawyer should know the procedure well. That why you hired him/her.

Yesterday, I went to Immigration to see if I was able to start the process of going from Temporary to Permanent Residence a little bit ahead of time.

The instructions mention to apply 45 days prior to expiration of residence. That would have been the first days of July for me as my current residence expires August 18.

I showed up at Immigration and found a very long line outside. Glad I asked. That was for passports requests. I was immediately ushered in and sent to one of the windows in the hall where there was no one in line.

The room was very, very noisy and I suspected the girl at the window couldn?t really hear me well. I explained I was there to request my permanent residence. She gave me a form and a number, told me to fill it out while I waited in the main room.

Main room was full. I had no idea how long I?d have to wait (it certainly felt like all day) but had a feeling that the girl at the window didn?t really hear well what I was there for.

Instead of waiting, I went to the information desk inside the main room (not the entrance hall). There I was able to explain once again why I came in to the two ladies manning this desk.

I was told that my first step was to go to Window 5 (no number needed, just stand in line) to make sure that I now had renewed enough times and qualified for a permanent residency.

The guy at window 5 checked, came back and told me I did, but I had to wait to apply by July 18. That would have been 30 days prior to expiration as opposed to the 45 mentioned on the online instructions.

I pressed by saying I really needed to start this process asap because I need to travel, and for him to check whether it is 30 or 45 days prior to expiration, and again, if it was possible to start the process right there and then.

On return, he explained that it is 45 days indeed but that there is a document I needed that takes a very long time to get approved and suggested I started by filing this document right away to save time.

The document, not mentioned in the instructions, is a letter addressed to the Director of Immigration, telling him that you have complied with the legal renewals to please authorize you or consider your applying for your permanent residency. I had a suspicion such letter would be needed and had brought with me a similar one (just a feeling based on what was required for renewal of temporary). He said to make a copy and go to the last window on the right, with the sign ?Correspondence?. Again, no number required, just wait in line if there is one. There wasn?t.

Made a copy and proceeded directly to this window. I also needed a copy of my residency card which thankfully I had brought some extra ones just in case. I filed the letter and copy of my current residency card, got a copy of the letter stamped for my files with a phone number to call, and was told that it takes 2-3 weeks for approval from the Director?s office or, maybe, much longer. That I should start calling and check if it is ready in 3 weeks or so. She also asked me to write on the original my phone numbers just in case they wanted to call me instead.

I was again also told to go back to the hall entrance window where I was given the form to request printed instructions to make sure I had the latest instructions on this process. In fact, I was told the same in the other information desk as well as in Window 5.

All along, I had asked many times whether or not I would need the new insurance policy. Every single person said they didn?t think but to check and verify at that first window in the hall?those are the people who know exactly what you need they said.

Went back to the hall, asked for the printed instructions and asked again this question about the new insurance. The girl said twice that only what it is on the form is required. I pressed and she went to ask another person who said she could confirm. The other woman came to talk to me and said that I didn?t need it if I could present proof of support with one of the documents outlined in the instructions. (side note: I do have a Certificado Mercantil for our business and property, but didn?t show it).

For now, I decided I will NOT purchase the new insurance unless, when I return to submit my folder 1 or folder 2, I?m explicitly asked for it. Yes, it may take time to go purchase it and another line at immigration, but I prefer it to paying $115 for an $800+ policy that may not be required after all, and that to me, it doesn?t make much sense because it doesn?t prove you can support yourself. I find it strange that it is all it is required to prove solvency nowadays. But many things don?t make sense in the DR and we live with that. So, I?ll wait and see on this one.

In my best estimate, this process will take long. First 2-3 weeks wait for the approval of my request to change status from temporary to permanent (that with luck); then go back to file folder 1 and for medical exam. It is not clear from the instructions whether you wait for the results of the medical 5-10 days as permanent renewals do, or if like the current instructions say, immediately after the medical you submit folder 2.

Assuming I have to wait 10 days and return to file folder 2, then there?s an interview with an immigration officer you?re cited for (not clear if this is at the time of presenting folder 2 or later, I suspect that later, since your documents, it appears, go to Interpol, etc.). So all in all, I figure it can take well over 8-10 weeks if not longer.

Something others should think about is whether if you go right at the 45-day in advance mark, you may be able to do both, submit the letter and do the medical at the same time. Obviously, for whatever reason, you?re not allowed to do this it ahead of time.

Lesson learned: don?t wait in line without asking questions, and insist if you have doubts. I could have spent the entire day waiting for my turn, only to be turned back.

In my opinion, Immigration employees are very polite and go out of their way to explain everything you need. We?ve been there several times now, both for my renewal of temporary as well as my husband?s renewal of permanent. Every time we had the very same experience. Polite employees that direct us everywhere we needed to go and provided answers to all our questions.

I would not fault them now for not knowing exactly how you go from temporary to permanent. This is new. Only few people are now qualifying for this, as the new law for temporary residency came into effect, if I recall correctly, in July of 2012. So only those of us who had already temporary residence issued in mid to late 2011 are facing this new process now.

I will update this thread as I go along, but if anyone has more current information, please do post updates here as long as it is on this subject and not related to other type of residency requests/renewals. Thanks

PS: I?ll try to upload the two pages I got with instructions later, after I checked them one more time. A cursory reading didn?t highlight anything different from the online instructions: http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...icitudes-de-residencia/residencia-permanente/

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My experiences at Migracion were generally far better than a DMV in the US. Seems like the only people needing the new insurance are those renewing temporary residency.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Can you please make this a sticky so that it's easy to find. In 2017 I face just what you've gone through and would like to be able to get back to it easily. Thanks Mods.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
My experiences at Migracion were generally far better than a DMV in the US. Seems like the only people needing the new insurance are those renewing temporary residency.

I just renewed my 4th year of Temp today. I have used the same lawyer each time and it has always been easy, I just show up wait, take fotos, sign, pay her and leave.
Rather than be proactive and ask her about this new law (Insurance) I decided to be more like a Dominican, dont mention it and maybe it wont come up. This said every the same as previous years, I did not go anywhere to buy insurance.
The one caveat! Because I didn't bring it up, there may be a small chance she did it in advance on her own, or I was lucky and it slipped by due to the newness factor.

Jan 17, 2009
No, please don't make it a sticky. I will post again when I complete the process (if ever !!!) with all the instructions, in proper order. This is just an advance in case someone else is ready to apply and wanted to have an idea of how it went for me.

Please do keep the posts on subject. My instructions for DYI temporary residence renewal became a confusing mess of posts regarding permanent residency renewal. I'm glad however that they helped many members avoid costly lawyers fees. After all, it was a piece of cake to do, and I think many of us avoided paying a lawyer to make xerox copies and a folder with them.

I did read again today the instructions form I got from Immigration yesterday and compared it more carefully with the online form. I found now a couple of areas where they differ. I will try to upload them tomorrow and highlight the parts that have changed.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
I am also going from temporary to permanent in january, so am following this thread closely. Ex-pat,---could you post a copy of the letter you had to submit to request the change in your status? Thanks for your time and trouble!

Jan 17, 2009
I brought in the same type of letter you have already used for your renewal of temporary residency; just adapt it. Something like this:

(check to see when you're ready to apply the Director is still this guy)

Mayor General*Rub?n Dar?o*Paulino Sem
Director General de Migraci?n
Presente

De mi mayor consideraci?n:

Por medio de la presente, el(la) que subscribe, [your name] de nacionalidad [your nationality], residente de [your address], de profesi?n [your trade or business or place of employment or say jubilado if retiree], habiendo cumplido con las renovaciones anuales requeridas de su residencia temporal (numero [your residency number]), de acuerdo al **** "Art?culo 50 del Reglamento 631-11 para la aplicaci?n de la ley 285-04" *** pone a su consideraci?n su solicitud residencia permanente.

Muy atentamente,

Your signature
Your phone number

Note that I included **** because I did not have this sentence in mine but when I was told I could go ahead and submit the letter they guy at Window 5 suggested mentioning the law. I copied this from the online form now: http://www.migracion.gob.do/sitev1/...icitudes-de-residencia/residencia-permanente/ Up to you if you want to include that or not. I would assume the law number is accurate as displayed there, but don't know for a fact. My letter was accepted without this.

I am also going from temporary to permanent in january, so am following this thread closely. Ex-pat,---could you post a copy of the letter you had to submit to request the change in your status? Thanks for your time and trouble!

Jan 17, 2009
Instruction form (provided at Immigration desk) on June 15, 2016, page 1 -- supersedes current online instructions

2m29t34.jpg

Jan 17, 2009
Page 2 -- supersedes currently online instructions (note: there is difference with the support documents that are acceptable and currently shown online)

243p43l.jpg

Jan 17, 2009
This is the form mentioned as step 1 in Folder 2 It's free and you pick it up together with a set of instructions at the window in the main entrance hall. Even though it is not needed until you get to Folder 2, you should get it first time you go to immigrations

1elvn5.jpg

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Mmmm....I already have perm BUT....a friend of mine went to immigration, about two months ago. She had 4 year temp resedencia and went in to get her perm. They told her that the "new rules" are that you have to have 5 (five) year temp to apply for perm....so she did renew her temp for an additional 5th year. Never heard that one before. Anyone else have that issue? Respectfully.....

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
botemon - earlier in this thread it stated you have temporary residency and then 4 renewals for a total of 5 years. Perhaps nothing actually changed?

botemon

Jun 28, 2008
Windeguy.....perhaps not. I guess my thinking had always been 4 years. Dane Brammage. As I said it does not apply to me, and I hope I did not glog up the bandwidth!!:eek:

Jan 17, 2009
I came back from Immigration today. That's not the case. You need your temp and four renewals. I wonder if the woman who stopped me at the entrance, a lawyer of sorts who was in the waiting room, stopped me to ask why I was there and what i wanted to do. She said I couldn't get my permanent because I had to have my residency for 5 years. True five years in total, four renewals. AND I checked in window 5 with the staffer (twice now) and I qualify. So please, make sure your friend talks to the right people.

My case, example:

Temp residency issued September 2011
First renewal September 2012
Second renewal September 2013
Third renewal August 2015
Fourth renewal August 2016

Mmmm....I already have perm BUT....a friend of mine went to immigration, about two months ago. She had 4 year temp resedencia and went in to get her perm. They told her that the "new rules" are that you have to have 5 (five) year temp to apply for perm....so she did renew her temp for an additional 5th year. Never heard that one before. Anyone else have that issue? Respectfully.....

Jan 17, 2009
Now an UPDATE. Sorry it's long, but I think it's worth a read, so not to make the same mistake !

It has been three weeks that I submitted my letter to the Director of Immigration asking for his agreement for me to apply to permanent residence. Not having been able to contact them by phone, I went to SDQ.

The reply to my letter was ready. Note this: I submitted it on June 15. The "denial" (read below for their mistake) was issued June 17, and the cover letter on June 20.

My request had been denied because according to the Extranjeria I had only renewed 3 times. NOTE that I had asked at window 5 to verify for me that I had already done the 4 renewals BEFORE submitting my letter on June 15.

I went back to Window 5 to ask what happened there, since I also knew I had renew already four times. The guy went to check and came back to explain the following: in their computer system, even though the fourth renewal appears, it doesn't appear as a renewal until the expiration day !!!

Unbelievable, but he confirmed it was a mistake and that i did qualify. He showed me his print out with the four renewals clearly marked !! Unfortunately, he said there was nothing they could do, and I had to submit a new letter explaining that the problem was with their system, that the last and fourth renewal was on August 18, 2015 with expiration August 18, 2016, to please reconsider, blah blah. He promised he had talked to the people who made the mistake and that it will be approved much faster.

I drafted and printed two copies of the letter and resubmitted with a copy of my current residency card (again !!) as well as a copy of the rejection letter.

I'm supposed to call next week or stop by and should be ready.

NOW for the part it is not clear in the instructions, but this time I asked about. Once I get the approval of the director, I have to submit BOTH folders together, folder 1 and folder 2 (not as explained in the instructions which say folder 1, go to medical, return present folder 2). Then that same day they will look at my paperwork and if there's nothing missing, they'll approve my going for the medical.

After the medical, it takes 3 MONTHS for the rest of the process. If I want it sooner, a VIP fee of 5,000 pesos more will get it done maybe in 30-45 days.

LESSON LEARNED which I hope it will help others. When you draft your letter requesting permission to apply, make sure you list the original date of issuance of your residency as well as each year of renewal. I didn't do this as I didn't think it necessary and I had it verified by the guy at window 5 before submitting the letter. SO write it in a separate paragraph, and just in case, someone misses it, start each one by 1 (original date of issue), 2, 3, 4, 5.

I honestly don't buy that it was a computer problem. They simply made a mistake but can't correct it because the letter with their mistake was stamped and signed at the Director's office.

I'll update again hopefully next week if I can manage to submit all documents and permission to get the medical !!

PS: I talked to many people in Immigration today, everyone was super helpful, even to send me to an Internet cafe close by to type my new letter, and to send me to see the Manager of Corresponde to see if she could expedite my new letter. Super super helpful (except, of course, for those in extranjeria that made this stupid mistake !)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Do you have to return in person after the 3 months or can someone do so on your behalf? I thought there was a rule of sorts that said after the medical they had x amount of days (like two weeks) to complete the process?

Jan 17, 2009
No, you have to return in person. from the info on the form, they truest background checks from
Police and Interpol. Then they call you for an interview with an immigration officer, after medical and background check are done.

Do you have to return in person after the 3 months or can someone do so on your behalf? I thought there was a rule of sorts that said after the medical they had x amount of days (like two weeks) to complete the process?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I am quickly beginning to think that Interpol Record Checks are a farce used to delay paperwork. All Interpol can tell you is whether a member country has issued a request for someone to be located and/or arrested for extradition.