I'm in CDC for a destination wedding today ...

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
I'm in Casa de campo for a destination wedding. Great weather for the past few days. If anyone happens to be at Playa Minitas or at the Marina reply to this post. I like to shake hands with a fellow DR'er...

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Wedding is over. Heard Derrick Jetter and a few of buddies were in town over this past weekend as well. I a
Saw Posada as I drove up to Altos de Chavon. Others saw Martines.

In any event, a couple of us (2 couples) decided not to do lunch with the wedding party on Saturday and instead opted to do lunch at the Beach Club at Las Minitas beach. Big costly mistake.. 1 family size pizza, 2 salads and water - US$85.00. I kid you not (the water tab was US$14). A separate bar tab - cranberry and club soda - US$7.00

You have been warned.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
So how was the pizza?

Pizza was good I must say for a resort ... It was a margarita thin crust, whole weat, sauce and cheese was decent. The mozzarella looked more like a regular pie rather than the margarita style.

Listen the food was good but NOT $85 good. If they would have charged us $45 it would have been ok ($20 for the pizza and $12/salad).

ADVICE to all for the next time you go to Las Minitas beach :: bring an empty bottle of water and fill it up at the towel station right before walking onto the beach with Apple/Cinnamon water for free.

Feb 7, 2007
(before writing my response, just a side comment - when I read your title yesterday I thought you were in Atlanta having wedding inside of Center for Disease Control ... that now it became a new "in" thing to do to marry alongside all the dangerous germs and deadly viruses... it was a funny thought that crossed my mind before diving into the text of your post).

Well CDC is not catering to an average DR1er. I would be hardly pressed to think CDC is an average venture out spot of DR1s. Even those who can splash for Hard Rock Hotel would be hard pressed to splash for CDC vacation.

Las Minitas beach is inside CDC as I just learned by Google Maps, so not a chance in near future to go there (you cannot access the beach without getting to CDC and you are not getting into CDC to just go on the beach trust me).

In any case, thanks for the warning.

Feb 7, 2007
(before writing my response, just a side comment - when I read your title yesterday I thought you were in Atlanta having wedding inside of Center for Disease Control ... that now it became a new "in" thing to do to marry alongside all the dangerous germs and deadly viruses... it was a funny thought that crossed my mind before diving into the text of your post).

gf8oNZp.png

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
Pizza was good I must say for a resort ... It was a margarita thin crust, whole weat, sauce and cheese was decent. The mozzarella looked more like a regular pie rather than the margarita style.

Listen the food was good but NOT $85 good. If they would have charged us $45 it would have been ok ($20 for the pizza and $12/salad

ADVICE to all for the next time you go to Las Minitas beach :: bring an empty bottle of water and fill it up at the towel station right before walking onto the beach with Apple/Cinnamon water for free.

if you need to bottle your own water to bring on the beach ...maybe you should try boca chica and not casa de campo

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Wedding is over. Heard Derrick Jetter and a few of buddies were in town over this past weekend as well. I a

In any event, a couple of us (2 couples) decided not to do lunch with the wedding party on Saturday and instead opted to do lunch at the Beach Club at Las Minitas beach. Big costly mistake.. 1 family size pizza, 2 salads and water - US$85.00. I kid you not (the water tab was US$14). A separate bar tab - cranberry and club soda - US$7.00

You have been warned.

Why did you decide not to do lunch with the wedding party? Would you have had to pay for that?

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
if you need to bottle your own water to bring on the beach ...maybe you should try boca chica and not casa de campo

Believe it or not I saw lots of locals (~20 kids and adults included) on Saturday at the beach.

I asked around what's the deal with the locals and one of the guys at the restaurant told me all you have to is make reservations for lunch at the restaurant (call hotel) and that way you have access to the beach and altos the chavon for free, there is a US$25 cover charge for the day if you do not have reservations.

Free bottle of water beats US$14 bottle of water any day... CDC, Boca Chica or Cabarete or any other beach/place for that matter.

In pure DR form ... Bottles of liquor (rum / vodka) being discreetly taken out of beach bags after asking for one coke and 2 cups with ice. there is a supermecado Nacional at the marina to load up on chips and other snacks.

Feb 7, 2007
Interesting info. This might be a way to get to see Altos de Chavon. When I tried several times, I was not let in using a private car, was told would need to come in as a part of organized tour.

Thank you for info.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Why did you decide not to do lunch with the wedding party? Would you have had to pay for that?

Just as an FYI - the reasons we opted not to do lunch with the wedding party were many but the driving force was that the lunch was back at the hotel and we did not feel like driving the golf cart for 15 mins back to the hotel and 15 mins back to the beach.

pgolivares

Apr 9, 2010
Interesting info. This might be a way to get to see Altos de Chavon. When I tried several times, I was not let in using a private car, was told would need to come in as a part of organized tour.

Thank you for info.

Here is another piece of info and this is golden ... Make the reservation this way you are on the list at the security check point but you do not have to eat at the restaurant because there is no way to make you eat at the place nor is there a way to differentiate between CDC guests and day pass visitors (no bracelets). Just act as if you are staying at the place and when they ask you for your room number you can either say you are paying cash you do not want to charge the room or just say I have a day pass. Act like you own the place but be friendly with everyone.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Listen the food was good but NOT $85 good. If they would have charged us $45 it would have been ok ($20 for the pizza and $12/salad).

You need deep pockets to live the lifestyle. You can get the same pizza at Pizza Azul in Las Terrenas for $12usd. Anyway you can't take it with you...I mean the pizza. Good luck and good travels.

Meemselle

Just A Few Words
Oct 27, 2014
I'm in Casa de campo for a destination wedding. Great weather for the past few days. If anyone happens to be at Playa Minitas or at the Marina reply to this post. I like to shake hands with a fellow DR'er...

Would you settle for Annette and Oscar de la Renta? I could introduce you.

And if there was a Jeter-sighting, doesn't that count the same as seeing G*d in some circles? (Not mine. He had no range to his left and didn't deserve those Golden Gloves. But I'll let it go. I'm just glad the 7-year farewell tour is over.)

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002

Thank you for info.

I don't get it, I have been to Altos de Chavon many times and I have not been stopped, last time I was there was about 4 years ago though, has it been privatized?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010

You have been warned.

Perfect!!

Finally found a place that's affordable!!!

Thanks for the info kiddo!!!