Latinx

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
Does anyone know when latinx started as a stand in for gender neutral latino/a? I've been seeing it in many of the stories about Orlando.

any other gender neutralizing trends in Spanish I need to know about?

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Does anyone know when latinx started as a stand in for gender neutral latino/a?

Just the thought of someone asking a question
like this makes me think just how screwed up
America (stories about Orlando) has become.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Stuff the X why couldn't the word latin suffice? That sounds gender neutral enuff for me.
Der Fish

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I used to see latin@ to signifiy both sexes. I guess now that we are non binary a simple o/a is insufficient.

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
I read the below as a preface to an article.

Note: Latinx is used in place of the commonly-utilized Latino, because as a gender-neutral descriptor, it better encompasses the many Latinx communities in the U.S.

drSix

Silver
Oct 13, 2013
Do any Latino people actually care about this, or is it just the ever offended, women studies majors, bernie supporting, libtards?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I read the below as a preface to an article.

Note: Latinx is used in place of the commonly-utilized Latino, because as a gender-neutral descriptor, it better encompasses the many Latinx communities in the U.S.

What exactly is a gender neutral person? Scientifically is there such a person?

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
A word that classifies a person as neutral. Words are descriptors of people, why else would he be looking for the word if not as a descriptor?

Interesting article: https://www.newscientist.com/articl...eres-no-such-thing-as-a-male-or-female-brain/

Reading this shyt you write one can actually wonder if you are really this stupid or just making jokes. Let us know which. please. I don't know how much Spanish you know, but in Spanish and many other languages including German and Portuguese and Italian every noun is either masculine or feminine. Thus a table in Spanish is designated as feminine. What if a Spanish speaker wanted to refer to a table without referring to its femaleness, how would that be done? And if one wishes to refer to a Spanish speaking person without declaring the sex of that person there should be a word to do so. A German could be female or male, A Mexican can be either a he or a she. A latino is a he and a latina is a she, how about a word that doesn't designate said maleness, nor femaleness. Would a word of that type be beyond your comprehension? Or are you making jokes again?

Der Fish

Last edited:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Does anyone know when latinx started as a stand in for gender neutral latino/a? I've been seeing it in many of the stories about Orlando.

any other gender neutralizing trends in Spanish I need to know about?

Replacing the a or o at the end of a word with i, and use of elle instead of el or ella.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Reading this shyt you write one can actually wonder if you are really this stupid or just making jokes. Let us know which. please. I don't know how much Spanish you know, but in Spanish and many other languages including German and Portuguese and Italian every noun is either masculine or feminine. Thus a table in Spanish is designated as feminine. What if a Spanish speaker wanted to refer to a table without referring to its femaleness, how would that be done? And if one wishes to refer to a Spanish speaking person without declaring the sex of that person there should be a word to do so. A German could be female or male, A Mexican can be either a he or a she. A latino is a he and a latina is a she, how about a word that doesn't designate said maleness, nor femaleness. Would a word of that type be beyond your comprehension? Or are you making jokes again?

Der Fish

Su and Sus do not refer to gender but that's about it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
SU and sus are not nouns, or do you not understand the designation noun?

They are pronouns. Whats your problem other than being yourself. Read the Ops posting. He asks about gender neutral trends in spanish not just about nouns.

Last edited: