More Bad Publicity

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Its the selfie fetish locals have. They need to change their Whatsapp profile pic every hour. I guess a helpless shark may help the tigres get some action with barrio rats

santa110xyz

Oct 25, 2005
Its the selfie fetish locals have. They need to change their Whatsapp profile pic every hour. I guess a helpless shark may help the tigres get some action with barrio rats

jajjajajaaaaaaa your comment is hilarious!!! and so true....
sadly because of the stupidity and egoism of the tourists and the lifeguards this poor creature had to die.
the world population is getting dumber and dumber....the smart gadgets is helping to accelerate this
process. smart phones, smart tv, smart key.....

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
In Friday's DR1 News.
Shark hauled in off resort beach
Lifeguards at the Punta Cana beach off Hard Rock Punta Cana hauled a blue shark to shore, fearing it would bite swimmers. A video showing the staff with the dead shark has been doing the rounds and has received criticism for the treatment that the shark may have suffered before its death. One expert was critical that the shark was killed here when in other countries great steps are being taken to preserve the sharks. A report in Fox News says that the blue shark rarely attacks humans. From 1850 to 2013, a blue shark has only been involved in 13 attacks on humans, four of them fatal.
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/ne...-beach-goers-pull-it-from-water-take-selfies/

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
the world population is getting dumber and dumber....the smart gadgets is helping to accelerate this

100% agreed. In some countries now a days you can literally sit for 24 hours a day and watch
television shows about shooting ducks, people pawning their goods or folks digging through other
people's storage units. Some parts of this world are more screwed up then people want to admit.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
100% agreed. In some countries now a days you can literally sit for 24 hours a day and watch
television shows about shooting ducks, people pawning their goods or folks digging through other
people's storage units. Some parts of this world are more screwed up then people want to admit.

Rotflmfao!!!

Feb 7, 2007
Blue shark that rarely attacks humans be darned. Like the lifeguards can easily know from the distance from the shore if it is a blue green yellow or purple shark. They did what they were paid for, protect the swimmers. If I was on that beach I would have been grateful to them to save me from potential danger. Geez and I was bathing on a beach less than 500 meters from there a few days ago. The criticism is undue and unwarranted. Sharks should not be around Punta Cana and if they appear, measures should be taken. As one commenter on that MSN thread wrote, it's OK for an alligator to kill a 2 year old child in shallow water, but not for us to protect ourselves from sharks in the same shallow water?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
jajjajajaaaaaaa your comment is hilarious!!! and so true....
sadly because of the stupidity and egoism of the tourists and the lifeguards this poor creature had to die.

4cf8aaad3e26271fdcc01e87d0ee79cd.jpg

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
Humans would be better off if they were the only living beings left on the earth. Then they would only need to worry about each other.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
Sharks should not be around Punta Cana

That's not the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard.... just the STUPIDEST thing I've heard this week. (I hear lots of stupid things.) Maybe we should give the sharks ocean charts so they know where to go and where to avoid.

Feb 7, 2007
That's not the STUPIDEST thing I've ever heard.... just the STUPIDEST thing I've heard this week. (I hear lots of stupid things.) Maybe we should give the sharks ocean charts so they know where to go and where to avoid.

Excellent! Thank you for the compliment!

So if I rephrase it ... "sharks should not be (allowed) anywhere near Punta Cana beaches", will I get another compliment? please, please, please.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
If you want to swim without sharks, or crabs, or stingrays or anything else that lives in the ocean, find a salt water pool and enjoy yourself. People whose first instinct is to kill everything that scares them should not be allowed to go to the beach.

Feb 7, 2007
If you want to swim without sharks, or crabs, or stingrays or anything else that lives in the ocean, find a salt water pool and enjoy yourself. People whose first instinct is to kill everything that scares them should not be allowed to go to the beach.

Well, there are measures that can be taken. Armada Dominicana is patrolling to prevent yolas leaving the DR waters, they can as well patrol to prevent sharks entering.

Marilyn

Bronze
May 7, 2002
I detect a double standard here, you mean to tell me it's ok to go hunting blue marlins and take pictures with them but a shark that comes close to the shore where there are hundreds of human beings, children, should not be removed to protect lives? a nice little blue shark which according to experts is not threat to humans, but how many marine experts are there among us? so I should let my 5 year old child swim with the nice friendly blue shark? what should the lifeguards have done? nicely ask "it" to move away or maybe the hotel should have asked swimmers to just ignore it and stay in the beach because it's just a "nice and harmless little blue shark"?

Last edited:

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
It's only a fish..With teeth.

There's lots more and somebody hopefully ate it..
Lots of people eat fish,(and shark).

I honestly do not give a monkey's..

Media fuss on a slow day?

Jaime809

Bronze
Aug 23, 2012
I detect a double standard here, you mean to tell me it's ok to go hunting blue marlins and take pictures with them but a shark that comes close to the shore where there are hundreds of human beings, children, should not be removed to protect lives? a nice little blue shark which according to experts is not threat to humans, but how many marine experts are there among us? so I should let my 5 year old child swim with the nice friendly blue shark? what should the lifeguards have done? nicely ask "it" to move away or maybe the hotel should have asked swimmers to just ignore it and stay in the beach because it's just a "nice and harmless little blue shark"?

This is why some sharks have been hunted almost to extinction "to protect the children."

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
In Friday's DR1 News.

Whenever I see statistics from the 1800's, I am skeptical. Who was in charge of keeping a global tally of deaths by blue sharks in 1851? Same question for those who say ocean temps have risen 5 degrees since 1830. Who the he** was taking accurate temperature readings in the middle of the Atlantic in 1830?

So as not to go off topic, does anyone have the current ocean temp or shark death toll in Punta Cana?