Renew residencia VS pay penalty - if there is one

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I entered the DR with a tourist card on May 24 2016.

My residencia temporal and cedula will expire on July 27 2016.

I had my interview for citizenship through matrimony on March 6 2016. Awaiting papers from Interpol (I think). I have not been able to reach anyone at MIP over the phone.

I am leaving the DR on Aug 13 2016 and will not return until end of December 2016.

I think my choices are as follows
1. Renew residency and cedula with all the costs involved incl the new insurance and wait till nationalization papers are in
or
2. exit the country Aug 13 hoping they dont notice my expired residency date. Enter the DR again in Dec with a tourist card and by then renew my residency if the nationalization papers are not yet in. Am I allowed to do the final step of naturalization with an expired residency and cedula or must I renew it first - at what penalty cost?

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015

I had my interview for citizenship through matrimony on March 6 2016. Awaiting papers from Interpol (I think). I have not been able to reach anyone at MIP over the phone.

I am leaving the DR on Aug 13 2016 and will not return until end of December 2016.

1. Renew residency and cedula with all the costs involved incl the new insurance and wait till nationalization papers are in
or
2. exit the country Aug 13 hoping they dont notice my expired residency date. Enter the DR again in Dec with a tourist card and by then renew my residency if the nationalization papers are not yet in. Am I allowed to do the final step of naturalization with an expired residency and cedula or must I renew it first - at what penalty cost?

I am in a similar situation. I had my interview in October and just waiting for ceremony. My one year expired in March and I left for the States in May. The Dept of Interior gave me a letter stating my situation telling me that would suffice when I got to airport. When exiting at the airport and showing my expired residency card they directed me to immigration office. I showed the letter given to me and the lady at the desk took it in to the back offijce. When she came back said it was from the dept of immigration so it was of no use. I argued with here to no avail. This went back and forth for about 10-15 minutes as I kept repeating no pago no pago. She eventually tired of me and just let me go without paying the 2500 RD. I am almost sure they will ask me for the $10 tourist card upon my return. It seems the problem is immigration dept and the interior dept are not on the same page with this situation. You should not have to renew naturalization process.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

or

I , like you have been waiting for my INTERPOL report to come back. I've been waiting since last July. I 've been told next month at least three times. Have you been phoning 809-686-6251 extension 3058?
To make leaving the country easier you have to write a letter addressed to Lic. Jose Ramon Fadul Fadul, Ministro de Interior y Policia: Solicitud del estatus de mi expediente de proceso da naturalizacion por matrimonio
with all your particulars and requesting it para poder salir del pais....etc.
You have to go in person and in 7 working days they will give you a letter. This is free. This letter will ease your way in an out of the country. I've used it twice so far with no issues.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
Hi Bob
I am glad to hear that you had no problems with that letter but in my post below you can see it was not as easy for me. When I went to Dept of Interior they gave me letter and told me they heard from interpol and that is all set. It is just a waiting time for my ceremony. I hope that there will be no problem for me on my return.

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004

or

I would think that if you got your residency through matrimony you would not need to prove solvency hence you would not need this new insurance.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I am in a similar situation. I had my interview in October and just waiting for ceremony. My one year expired in March and I left for the States in May. The Dept of Interior gave me a letter stating my situation telling me that would suffice when I got to airport. When exiting at the airport and showing my expired residency card they directed me to immigration office. I showed the letter given to me and the lady at the desk took it in to the back offijce. When she came back said it was from the dept of immigration so it was of no use. I argued with here to no avail. This went back and forth for about 10-15 minutes as I kept repeating no pago no pago. She eventually tired of me and just let me go without paying the 2500 RD. I am almost sure they will ask me for the $10 tourist card upon my return. It seems the problem is immigration dept and the interior dept are not on the same page with this situation. You should not have to renew naturalization process.

My letter is signed by the viceministro para Naturalizacion y Migracion and the Director de Naturalizacion y Migracion. Letterhead is the Ministero de Interior y Policia.

harry myrtle beach

Sep 16, 2015
My letter is signed by the viceministro para Naturalizacion y Migracion and the Director de Naturalizacion y Migracion. Letterhead is the Ministero de Interior y Policia.

I just checked my letter and I have the same signatures as well. But I am glad you pointed that out so when returning I will mention that to immigration.

Neargale

Jul 4, 2013
I called and called and the line is just always busy or there is no answer.

So, I trotted down on Caribe Tours to the Ministry of Interior y Policia. Up to the 13th floor first to find out my status regarding naturalizacion for matrimonio. All info is in except still waiting for Interpol. As I expected since my interview was March 6 2016.
Down I went to the 3rd floor, Archivos y Correspondence (not sure of all the spelling). They accepted my letter requesting a document to facilitate entry and exit ... and I am told it will be ready in 10 working days.

I love it (and worry) when it is that easy! Thanks to dr1!

Will report in mid August about how easy it is to exit with that document without paying penalty and with an expired residency and cedula in POP. I am getting a headache already ;-)