DR according to german schooling in 1949

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i found this picture on imgur today:

2gw5r1g.jpg

according to the OP this is a map hand drawn by his grand mother in post war germany.
These Pictures were drawn by my grandmother around 1949, when she was 14 or 15. She told me at the beginning of every lesson the teacher handed out one sheet of paper to every pupil and that was it. They had no schoolbooks. They had to make their own ones.

link here:
http://imgur.com/gallery/ynkIq

i found it rather interesting. why is DR not there?

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
Your grandmother made better maps in 1949 with no equipment than some surveyors make today with modern equipment.
Thank you for sharing this.

May 29, 2006
Ask most American kids to draw a map and see how many can name Cuba...
Lots of other countries missing on the map. Canada, Jamaica and Central America for starters.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
There are no USA or Canada there either: it's a geographical map, not a political one.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
i found it rather interesting. why is DR not there?
The DR has always been a hermetic country, not much known beyond its borders. Haiti, on the other hand, has received much greater recognition internationally from the days of the Haitian Revolution, often times to such a degree that even in the beginning of the 20th Century most people that heard about the island did so in reference to Haiti. As far as many people were concerned, the island consisted of just one country. In those times many Arabs emigrating from the Ottoman Empire with Haiti as their final destination ended up in the DR because their boats stopped first in either Puerto Plata or Santo Domingo and they thought they were in Haiti, not knowing that Haiti was one more port away.

The only thing that has made the DR much more known in recent times is tourism and solely as an ideal tropical playground. Had it not been for that, to this very day the DR would had been an unknown people and country.