gay/lesbian hotel in cabarete to be investigated

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
a hotel that caters exclusively to homosexuals is to be investigated by the ministry of tourism.
http://miradoroeste.blogspot.com/2016/06/denuncia-la-existencia-de-un-hotel-para.html
http://fuegoalalata.do/ay-la-intole...de-hotel-de-gays-y-lesbianas-en-puerto-plata/

originally i read about this in DL but the link has been since removed...
i wonder why?

azi91j.png

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I saw it in DL yesterday too, then poof!, it was gone. The hotel isn't named, maybe it doesn't actually exist and some reporter just looking for readers???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
well, it's not that straightforward lies are frowned upon in dominican press...

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Why would anyone care that isn't gay or lesbian...need to let it rest.

FYI. Many Dominicans really do not like such things. Recall there was a anti LGBT protest in Santo Domingo they day after the Orlando massacre. They won't tell you, they will just smile and laugh behind your back. This is because of something not mentioned in forums.

My source, all I had to do was ask, suggests this hotel is in Jardin Deportivo in Cabarete.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
Investigated for what? Well to be sure you are gay if you say you are. Cannot have people pretending to be queer, can we?
Der Fish

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
maybe that "why" was the reason the article was pulled out from DL? when i read it there were already some comments asking why the government wants to investigate homosexuals while corruption is rampant.
although this particular type of comments can be found under almost any article in DL.
or maybe they did not want to make much noise in the subject of homosexuality after issues with brewster.

DonDR

Jul 14, 2010
Yes - the hotel is in the area of Jardin Deportivo (4 miles East of Cabarete) on the left side from the entrance - you can see the flag flying over the wall. Spooky area especially when its dark.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Yes - the hotel is in the area of Jardin Deportivo (4 miles East of Cabarete) on the left side from the entrance - you can see the flag flying over the wall. Spooky area especially when its dark.

My source is hardly ever wrong. Does the place have a name? Hotel Arcos, by any chance?

http://monaga.blogspot.com/2006/03/update-hotel-arcos.html

The telephone number is 1-809-571-2705. Email:
arcos@fonthot.com. The website for fontleroy hotels is
www.fonthot.com. This contains references to three
properties in Jardin Deportivo - all gay: two hotels
and a bar. The bar is called La Hacienda. The other
hotel is called La Plantacion and is currently under
construction, completion expected next month. Needless
to say, we have pretty much claimed Jardin Deportivo
for the gay community, and the beach here is now
Cabarete's gay beach.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Okay, now we know the location. Is it against the law to operate a gay hotel? I don't understand what they're "investigating".

Jan 17, 2009
Arcos? Sure that was a gay hotel 10 years ago. It closed down in 2007 or so. Maybe it reopen but haven't heard about it. I think that back then there was another gay/lesbian hotel in Callejon de la Loma, but that closed down too.

Why is it illegal ?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I've lived in Cabarete for six years and never knew there was a gay/lesbian hotel nearby. If it is so little known I can't see why anyone should think that it's doing any harm.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
I've lived in Cabarete for six years and never knew there was a gay/lesbian hotel nearby. If it is so little known I can't see why anyone should think that it's doing any harm.

Me too.
Never heard about it so if it's not bothering anyone what's the big deal?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I do not think there are any laws against a gay hotel, but they would be frowned upon by the conservative nature of the Dominican people. You all know where this conservative nature originates so I don't have to spell it out. Police have been known to harass such locations. Just the fact that an article was published indicating the tourism department was going to "investigate the situation" is a clue that there could be issues.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
http://detrasdelrumor.com.do/resalt...stigar-hotel-exclusivo-para-gays-y-lesbianas/

Asimismo, el m?ximo representante del Ministerio de Turismo en Puerto Plata, al ser cuestionado sobre una denuncia que circula a trav?s de las redes sociales donde se afirma que en Cabarete estar?a funcionando un hotel exclusivo para gays y lesbianas, dijo que orden? una investigaci?n de inmediato para evitar esa situaci?n que atenta contra el turismo familiar y decente.

a_ec

Jul 7, 2016
. Needless
to say, we have pretty much claimed Jardin Deportivo
for the gay community, and the beach here is now
Cabarete's gay beach.

is this just your hope this happens or are there actually other glbt ppl there aside from yourselves opening a business and teying to drum up customers? . im asking becahse it would be cool if there were actually other gay guys in cab, whereas when i lived there for a year in 2013/14, i didnt have any issues with being openly gay, but i sure didnt meet anyone else either, the only few other gay men around being old, over 50 and such.... im planning on heading back for at least the season maybe more starting in sept and plan to pick up some dj nights in cab, las terrenas and maybe occasionally out in punta cana and it woukd he cool if while in cab there might be at least a friend or two somewhat close to my age to be had.... anyway, not hating if it is to deum up business and u hope it becomes the gay beach, just curious is all... cheers.