Richard $ Ed's GARAGE

me_canadian

Jun 29, 2016
I would not recomend this garage located Calle Principal Costambar, Puerto Plata.
Let me give you my experience:
On Wednesday June 23,2016 I was on my way to Costambar beach when my 1998 Ford overheated, I was passing Richard & Ed's Garage at the time so I drove in.
The “so called mechanic Richard” examined the car and told me that my problem wes a blown head gasket. I said OK fix it, HOW MUCH ? He did not know, the next day I called ED on his cell phone and he said he needed $4,000 for the new head gasket & shave the head, I went to the bang, got a ride to Costambar and gave him the $4,000, he said NO $4,800 I only had $4000 so he took that, He said it would be ready Friday afternoon, I got a ride out to get the car, BUT the mechanic said it was not finished, he said Saturday June 25th. In the morning, so I got a ride there again, NOR FINISHED, said at 5pm it will be done, so I returned again at 5pm, ED told me it was going to cost $10,000 more, I asken for an itimized bill and the hours labour and hourley cost, ED flipped out ( by the way ED is from USA,Richard is hatian mechanic lol )
It was finally finished on Tuesday June 28th , ED said they had so many problems with the engine, told me that one of the over head cams was broken, It will now be $13,500 more.
I told ED, the over head cam that was broken was done by your mechanic, how do I know this ? . On the Thursday June 23rd. day when the mechaanic removed he head an had in by his car, waiting for my $4,000 to shave the head & purchase the head gasket, he had already removed the cams and had white plastic water pipe in place of the cams secured by the cam shaft retainers , he would have known at that time it was broken !.Richard (the machanic lol ) should have marked the position of the crank shaft pulley and the two cams that way he would get them back in the same position before removing the timing belt ! I think when he replaced the cams and started the motor and the timing belt was in the wrong position an broke the cam, or when I was there on Saturday June 25th.he was using a large ratchet to turn the cam to align the timing, he should have noticed the cam was broken and not turning at that time as well ! Does the mechanic know the correct torque for the head bolts and the cam shaft retainers., do you even have a torque wrench?
I finally drove off with the car at aproximately 5pn on Tuesday June 28th. as ED was counting the money, I gave him $10,000 . I should not have to pay for his mechanics incompedence, not to mention the $800 pesos I spent to get there 4 timed.
I AM SURE I AM NOT THE ONLY WITH BAD EXPERIENCE

My name is Alexander Grundie
my phone number is 809-304-3110
I live in Urb. Atlantica in Puerto Plata
My email is iaminthedr@hotmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
Ok, maybe a dumb question but are we talking USD or pesos for the repair? Neither sounds right.

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
it always helps to know a little about Cars and engines ( using google and youtube videos dont hurt, some are quite good)
... did you know how much work is involved in replacing a head gasket ?
its a LOT more than $100 thats for sure. so you know immediately he is low balling you, big time..
im assuming the first $$ was actually pesos...

$4 K pesos, that about covers the materials. not much more..immediate red flag.

im confused about "shaving the head " ? was it warped , if so, no bueno.. now you talking at lest a $500-$700 USD job ..
probably a lot closer to $1,000 usd

and Cams dont break that way..
your pistons would kiss the Valves first, and that is a whole new Set of Problems..much bigger ,but then again, he replaced the head with Valve assembly.
this is just a complete mess. let me read it again..
good grief.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The lesson here is :

Never just drive in to the nearest or next mechanic.
Do the homework first.

Too bad about your experience but.............

jd426

Gold
Dec 12, 2009
Im re reading your story, and you seem to have EXTENSIVE knowledge or at least you are repeating it pretty accurately.. in terms of Repair Procedure etc..
Not sure how you got this much knowledge in such a short time, unless you worked on cars before..

yet you did not know that a head gasket would cost way more than 4K pesos ?
you had to know they were low balling you,..

and yes ,I agree with your synopsis,, that is exactly HOW a cam can be broken , IF it was broke, or maybe they just lied to you
and charged you for it.
but again, what about the PISTONS AND VALVES.. how on earth did they escape any Damage,
That defies all laws of Physics..

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I've had a head gasket replaced for around $RD4500, so the price isn't too low, and that's getting the head machined as well.....

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
I just had my motor completely rebuilt for 22000 pesos. That included shaving the head and replacing the head gasket and grinding the valves. The mechanic said there were bearings on the crankshaft that had to be replaced, but what he put into my hands were bushings. ANd new oil and oil filter. I used to put in a quart of oil every second week, but haven't added any now in the 11 weeks since he did the job. But you gotta know your mechanic here or in New York or Tennessee.
My lady has a gay son and this mechanic is his boyfriend and his father.
Der Fish .

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I've had a head gasket replaced for around $RD4500, so the price isn't too low, and that's getting the head machined as well.....

now you have gone and ruined the fun. if you had kept quiet, this guy would have gone on forever, telling the OP about how badly he had been ripped off.

shucks.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Derf- Boyfriend & Father.....

Well , I guess there is no fear of inbreeding here....
Are they from West Virginia ?.. The Appalachians....?

Lots of intrafamily relations there, I hear

me_canadian

Jun 29, 2016
UPDATE
am suing Richard and Ed's Garage for $ 6,700 rd for failing to honor a 3 month warranty on my car that they repaired one day prior, and the out of pocket expense occurred due to the the incompetence and careless actions by the mechanic, while the vehicle was in the care of Richard & Ed's Garage.
I took the vehicle in to Richard & Ed's Garage on Wednesday June 22, 2016.
I gave a $4,000 rd deposit for engine repairs on Thursday June 23, 2016.
I called on Friday June 24, 2016 was told by Ed the vehicle would be ready a 5pm, I paid $200rd to come from Puerto Plata to Costambar, the vehicle was not ready.
I called Ed on Saturday June 24, 2016 in the morning, and he said he needed the final amount of $10,000 rd, again I came at the cost of $200rd, again not ready.
I called Ed on Monday June 27, 2016, Ed told me will be ready around noon, again I paid $200 rd for transportation, again not ready.
my vehicle was finally ready on June 28, upon inspecting the vehicle with my wife we found that the windshield was cracked on the passenger side, which I brought to the attention of Ed. He told me that he never broke it, But it happened while the vehicle was in the care of Richard & Ed's Garage.
I took the vehicle home to Puerto Plata, the serpentine belt started to squeal just as I got to my house, I had only drove 5 miles, I opened the hood only to find that the serpentine belt was off the pulley's .
On Wednesday June 29, 2016 I called Richard & Ed's Garage to tell them I had a problem, but was told sorry !. I had no choice to get a local mechanic to come over, upon inspection of the vehicle I was told by the mechanic that the serpentine belt tensioner was broken, after the vehicle was taken to the mechanics shop he found that the tensioner had been previously welded lately.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
UPDATE
am suing Richard and Ed's Garage for $ 6,700 rd for failing to honor a 3 month warranty on my car that they repaired one day prior, and the out of pocket expense occurred due to the the incompetence and careless actions by the mechanic, while the vehicle was in the care of Richard & Ed's Garage.
I took the vehicle in to Richard & Ed's Garage on Wednesday June 22, 2016.
I gave a $4,000 rd deposit for engine repairs on Thursday June 23, 2016.
I called on Friday June 24, 2016 was told by Ed the vehicle would be ready a 5pm, I paid $200rd to come from Puerto Plata to Costambar, the vehicle was not ready.
I called Ed on Saturday June 24, 2016 in the morning, and he said he needed the final amount of $10,000 rd, again I came at the cost of $200rd, again not ready.
I called Ed on Monday June 27, 2016, Ed told me will be ready around noon, again I paid $200 rd for transportation, again not ready.
my vehicle was finally ready on June 28, upon inspecting the vehicle with my wife we found that the windshield was cracked on the passenger side, which I brought to the attention of Ed. He told me that he never broke it, But it happened while the vehicle was in the care of Richard & Ed's Garage.
I took the vehicle home to Puerto Plata, the serpentine belt started to squeal just as I got to my house, I had only drove 5 miles, I opened the hood only to find that the serpentine belt was off the pulley's .
On Wednesday June 29, 2016 I called Richard & Ed's Garage to tell them I had a problem, but was told sorry !. I had no choice to get a local mechanic to come over, upon inspection of the vehicle I was told by the mechanic that the serpentine belt tensioner was broken, after the vehicle was taken to the mechanics shop he found that the tensioner had been previously welded lately.

please advise us how much it will cost you in lawyers fees and time to try to reclaim your massive losses

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
judging by the amount of the loss..........maybe some poor lawyer ...straight out of law school...with nothing else to do

me_canadian

Jun 29, 2016
So you suggest I just take it UP THE A?S !!!.

You don't know me !.. If nothing else comes out of this the Gringos are talking, and telling me that they will not use Richards & Ed's Garage, only to repair a tire.

Other Gringos have told me they have had problems with Ed's Garage since they opened over 2 months ago, but do not have a computers to post complaints.

Ed is not that popular in Costambar He is known as CHEEP ED! among other names I cannot post here.. PM me I will tell you.

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
sometimes it is cheaper to just walk away ...and take your revenge by word of mouth ....if he is only open two months ...the bad advertisement should be enough

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
sometimes it is cheaper to just walk away ...and take your revenge by word of mouth ....if he is only open two months ...the bad advertisement should be enough

sometimes it is better to walk away for other reasons. some guys get into bad situations, and a lot of hand wringing follows. hey, if you don?t know who this guy is, sometimes it is best to walk away. trying to butt heads is not always the best way. the guy probably knows people, and you could run up against it.

me_canadian

Jun 29, 2016
I have known ED for over 9 years, I have heard he was a bit of an ahole, but I have never had any dealings with him until now, now I KNOW HE IS !!