La Javilla

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
There are areas in Pto Pta and the capital called "La Javilla". What is the derivation of this name?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
It is a tree that is of two varieties here.
There is the Javilla that is native and the more popular Javilla extrangera
The native variety is a very thorny bark and there is an expression: Puerco no se rasca en javilla
Which means that even pigs don't use the javilla to scratch their backs.

The javilla extrangera is a broad-leaf tree that has green tennis-ball sized, totally useless fruits, which are good for nothing
I know of, except for throwing at things like stray dogs. It is ued as a shade tree by many people.

There, now you know the rest of the story.

HB

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
It is a tree that is of two varieties here.
There is the Javilla that is native and the more popular Javilla extrangera
The native variety is a very thorny bark and there is an expression: Puerco no se rasca en javilla
Which means that even pigs don't use the javilla to scratch their backs.

The javilla extrangera is a broad-leaf tree that has green tennis-ball sized, totally useless fruits, which are good for nothing
I know of, except for throwing at things like stray dogs. It is ued as a shade tree by many people.

There, now you know the rest of the story.

HB

Your depth of knowledge of the DR never ceases to amaze me. Good on you HB!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
There are areas in Pto Pta and the capital called "La Javilla". What is the derivation of this name?

There is a bus line called Javilla Tours. I believe that the area called Javilla in Puerto Plata is called that because it is near Javilla Tours. But that is just my assupption.

As to the trees at least one of these javilla trees spit their seeds far and wide. We did a thread about that not too long ago here on DR1.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There is a bus line called Javilla Tours. I believe that the area called Javilla in Puerto Plata is called that because it is near Javilla Tours. But that is just my assupption.

As to the trees at least one of these javilla trees spit their seeds far and wide. We did a thread about that not too long ago here on DR1.

not exactly. the area where the buses have the terminus is called La Javilla. the buses were named after the area.