Is it possible to find bilingual therapists/psychologists in Santo Domingo?

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I know Spanish is the official language and it's rare to meet people who are fluent in English, but does anyone know if I might have a chance of getting a psychologist/therapist who is bilingual in Santo Domingo?

I'm trying to do couples therapy with my significant other, but I don't speak Spanish at all, and I'm sure most therapists there usually practice in Spanish....

Anyone have any suggestions/possible resources that I can look up? I dob;t even know where to start researching...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
So nice how helpful people are isn't it? Joselowe will pm you here name and also an excellent couples therapist who is Canadian who speaks English and Spanish and who has lived here but you would have to do sessions via Skype.

matilda

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The DR is very 3rd world. Relationships here are complicated by cross cultural issues. They are not being mean just realistic about saving a relationship here with theraphy. Good luck if you want to try. Let us know how it works out.

Apr 7, 2014
I know Spanish is the official language and it's rare to meet people who are fluent in English, but does anyone know if I might have a chance of getting a psychologist/therapist who is bilingual in Santo Domingo?

I'm trying to do couples therapy with my significant other, but I don't speak Spanish at all, and I'm sure most therapists there usually practice in Spanish....

Anyone have any suggestions/possible resources that I can look up? I dob;t even know where to start researching...
A. You shouldnt have coupled with her if you have communication issues. They wont get any better because you dont know anything and they know everything. Additionally....you will find yourself talking until you are blue in the face, she will just placate you and do what she was doing all the while before she met you(which was something incompetent).

B. I have determined most everyone in this country suffers from mental illness called Foolish Exuberance. There is no domestic cure and relocating internationally can sometimes exascerbate the issue

Last edited:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

Martha Rodriguez - office 809 540 9100 cell 809 974 9701 -- has a degree in clinical social work from Hunter College in NYC http://www.saludmentalfamiliar.com/about.html

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I went to some courses from the church required to prepare for our upcoming wedding in the church.

We had to go for a weekend of lectures to the PUCMM university.

There was a couple psychologist/therapist giving a speech. That guy is absolutely amazing. Not sure if he is bilingual.

I have his facebook, you can ask:

Here you go: His name is Puro Blanco (in serious ;)):

https://www.facebook.com/puroblanco.genao?fref=ts

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I went to some courses from the church required to prepare for our upcoming wedding in the church.

We had to go for a weekend of lectures to the PUCMM university.

There was a couple psychologist/therapist giving a speech. That guy is absolutely amazing. Not sure if he is bilingual.

I have his facebook, you can ask:

Here you go: His name is Puro Blanco (in serious ;)):

https://www.facebook.com/puroblanco.genao?fref=ts

Thanks, I didnt tell anyone here but this is actually a same-sex relationship and I'm not too sure about the church aspect over there. Here in the US theres no bias, but I dont know if that applies to SD also. But thanks for the infor, I'll try contacting him

joselowe

May 5, 2015
She operates both the clinic and has a private practice.. the private practice is often covered by insurance.. she is excellent - very goal oriented,,,

Sorry I have a question as an American in the US, how would the insurance aspect work for me? Would I have to get travel insurance which includes health or could I use my US health insurance? I'll ask her for specifics when i contact her, but I just wanted a general feel if you don't mind

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Sorry I have a question as an American in the US, how would the insurance aspect work for me? Would I have to get travel insurance which includes health or could I use my US health insurance? I'll ask her for specifics when i contact her, but I just wanted a general feel if you don't mind

The odds are that your US insurance won't cover the counseling. I have US insurance that covers treatment in the DR, but only if I am admitted to a hospital. Visits to doctors are not included. You might be better off investigating the possibility of obtaining DR health insurance, but if you go that route, know that that insurance usually only covers a portion of the cost.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

I have local insurance.. Don't think that any sort of US insurance will cover it. I do not actually know how much she charges. And travel insurance would most likely not cover psychological therapy.. I doubt there will be an issue with the same sex couple - from someone who graduated in NYC..

joselowe

May 5, 2015
I have local insurance.. Don't think that any sort of US insurance will cover it. I do not actually know how much she charges. And travel insurance would most likely not cover psychological therapy.. I doubt there will be an issue with the same sex couple - from someone who graduated in NYC..

Thanks!