Pedro Clisante Barrier

caribbeankeith

Jun 3, 2016
when passing early Friday evening we noticed that the barrier was down on pedro clisante about 7.30 does anyone know if it is going to be a regular thing to close the street again to vehicles in the evening, me personaly think it was much better when it was closed, easier to walk along, no dodging low flying motoconchos, more space for the bars and clientell, much less harassment from street vendors, and even the local police seemed to be more relaxed and even more attentive to the tourists, moving the working girls to the far end ,and watching them to make sure they didn't hassle the clients sat on the chairs in the street, there was a stage with entertainment some weekends
Much better overall, lets hope they keep it closed this time..:rolleyes:

Irie

Aug 15, 2014
The Cestur and policia came by the business' at 5:45 on Friday to inform about the gate closing. That is the extent of the information I've received so far. Anyone I've spoken with hasn't heard anything 'official' either. I'm curious what will happen tonight.

In addition, the west gate is a mangled mess this morning. Apparently someone isn't happy about the street closure and took things into their own hands last night/ early this morning. As of now, the gate is unusable.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
when passing early Friday evening we noticed that the barrier was down on pedro clisante about 7.30 does anyone know if it is going to be a regular thing to close the street again to vehicles in the evening, me personaly think it was much better when it was closed, easier to walk along, no dodging low flying motoconchos, more space for the bars and clientell, much less harassment from street vendors, and even the local police seemed to be more relaxed and even more attentive to the tourists, moving the working girls to the far end ,and watching them to make sure they didn't hassle the clients sat on the chairs in the street, there was a stage with entertainment some weekends
Much better overall, lets hope they keep it closed this time..:rolleyes:

Streets were made for cars. Of course when they are prohibited it is safer for people to walk on them!
Der Fish

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Apparently someone isn't happy about the street closure and took things
into their own hands last night/ early this morning. As of now, the gate is unusable.

I'm not surprised to hear this. Although I prefer the streets closed off, a lot of guys who
hustle money on that end of PC by watching people's cars probably weren't to happy about the closure.

caribbeankeith

Jun 3, 2016
duh fish

Fish has an amazing grasp of the obvious.

yes I totally agree, pedro clisante is a one way street,, even tho the moto conchos don't quite get the drift of this, at the end of the day , the car parking guys get peanuts for helping most of the time they make it harder cos they stand in the dam way,
they could close it from half way, leave the girls at the end and make public the main part,everyone is happy apart from the moto conchos , pay attention to road rules and learn, everyone would be fine

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
What has been written in the press yesterday....

http://diariodigital.com.do/2016/07/09/inician-rescate-sosua-intervienen-negocios/

.........El jefe del Ministerio P?blico en Puerto Plata explic? que entre otras medidas el cabildo de Sos?a retom? convertir en peatonal un tramo de la calle Pedro Clisante desde las 6:00 de la tarde hasta las 6:00 de la ma?ana.

“Cestur junto con Migraci?n y el Ministerio P?blico nos vamos a mantener tratando de tener fuera de esa ?rea a las trabajadoras sexuales, despu?s de cerrados los negocios en el horario establecido”, apunt? el fiscal Osvaldo Bonilla.

Adelant? que en una segunda parte del plan de enfrentar la prostituci?n en Sos?a es la reinserci?n laboral de estas damas mediante programas educativos, con la ayuda del Estado.........

The Chief of the Public Ministry in Puerto Plata explained that among other measures the Cabildo of Sosua returned to convert into a pedestrian area a stretch of the Calle Pedro Clisante from 6:00 p.m. until 6:00 in the morning. "Cestur along with migration and the Public Ministry we are going to keep trying to have outside that area to sex workers, after closed the business in the established schedule," said the Prosecutor Osvaldo Bonilla.

Said a second part of the plan to address prostitution in Sosua is labor reinsertion of these ladies through educational programs, with the help of the State........to pick up on an observation by 'cristo rey'

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
This Sosua dilemna is very entertaining, primarily because most of the people that are making the decisions as usual lack common sense or any intelligent sense of how business or tourism works. The entertainment value and unknow factor is almost like if a dog took a **** in the middle of the sidewalk outside a restaurant and you sit back all day and watching how its dealt with. There will be alot of head scratching!

caribbeankeith

Jun 3, 2016
yet again someone asks a sensible question or posts a serious discussion and it all goes south, typical, maybe duhfish cant walk more than 50m to get a beer ,or the chikas cant either, ultimately if pedro clisante is closed and people have to walk to get a beer then it isn't realy an issue is it, if it attracts tourists, and they are such lardy arses that they cant walk 50m either without loosing breath, then that aint a tourist problem either, We live here, I love tourism, I love clients I love expats, but this isn't about what we love, , its obviously about lazieness, lets suppose player charged 100 pesos per car for parking at night would people still complain about the cost or the fact they have to walk and cross a main road to get a beer and a F##k
LETS BE HONEST HERE..!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016
yet again someone asks a sensible question or posts a serious discussion and it all goes south, typical, maybe duhfish cant walk more than 50m to get a beer ,or the chikas cant either, ultimately if pedro clisante is closed and people have to walk to get a beer then it isn't realy an issue is it, if it attracts tourists, and they are such lardy arses that they cant walk 50m either without loosing breath, then that aint a tourist problem either, We live here, I love tourism, I love clients I love expats, but this isn't about what we love, , its obviously about lazieness, lets suppose player charged 100 pesos per car for parking at night would people still complain about the cost or the fact they have to walk and cross a main road to get a beer and a F##k
LETS BE HONEST HERE..!

Yes let's be honest here. The streets are made for cars to drive on. If there were a parallel street or there were a 2 way street or if there was an obvious way around the closed portion of the street it may make sense to close it off so a few bar owners would sell a few more beers and be happier, but a street is a street, is a street. Made for cars and motorcycles. I was only there once when the damned barricades were up and no one although I asked maybe 10 people had any idea how to get legally in my car about 3 blocks to my destination. Nor do I have any plan ever to leave my car in the hands of the Tigieres to watch my car for me, nunca!
Der Fish

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
What has been written in the press yesterday....

http://diariodigital.com.do/2016/07/09/inician-rescate-sosua-intervienen-negocios/

.........El jefe del Ministerio P?blico en Puerto Plata explic? que entre otras medidas el cabildo de Sos?a retom? convertir en peatonal un tramo de la calle Pedro Clisante desde las 6:00 de la tarde hasta las 6:00 de la ma?ana.

“Cestur junto con Migraci?n y el Ministerio P?blico nos vamos a mantener tratando de tener fuera de esa ?rea a las trabajadoras sexuales, despu?s de cerrados los negocios en el horario establecido”, apunt? el fiscal Osvaldo Bonilla.

"Adelant? que en una segunda parte del plan de enfrentar la prostituci?n en Sos?a es la reinserci?n laboral de estas damas mediante programas educativos, con la ayuda del Estado........."

The Chief of the Public Ministry in Puerto Plata explained that among other measures the Cabildo of Sosua returned to convert into a pedestrian area a stretch of the Calle Pedro Clisante from 6:00 p.m. until 6:00 in the morning. "Cestur along with migration and the Public Ministry we are going to keep trying to have outside that area to sex workers, after closed the business in the established schedule," said the Prosecutor Osvaldo Bonilla.

Said a second part of the plan to address prostitution in Sosua is labor reinsertion of these ladies through educational programs, with the help of the State........to pick up on an observation by 'cristo rey'

Adelant? que en una segunda parte del plan de enfrentar la prostituci?n en Sos?a es la reinserci?n laboral de estas damas mediante programas educativos, con la ayuda del Estado.........

Does this mean that with the help of the State, there will be educational programs for those dame's on how to walk the closed street/catwalk correctly? This would certainly attract tourism.

Last edited:

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
LETS BE HONEST HERE..!

There are vibrant pedestrian zones all over the world. Tourism and local commerce flourish because of them.
I know it's hard to fathom for some.

Billp

Feb 2, 2013
There are vibrant pedestrian zones all over the world. Tourism and local commerce flourish because of them.

And in fact, those are some the most sought after real estate in the places they exist.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller

They close the main street in Boca Chica at 7pm and all the bars and restaurants set up tables in the road and serve drinks and food. No idea when they close.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I could understand it more if it were a permanent closure for a more sanitary look. Has anyone looked at the road and the gutters after a full day of traffic? Nice sidewalks, crappy pavement and gutters.