One way flights to US - possible?

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
When my wife and I leave the DR in Apr/May we would like to fly into Miami, drive up the east coast, enter Canada from Detroit into Hamilton...then fly to Alberta/Saskatchewan from there on a Canadian airline.

Question: Will we (Canadian Citizens) be allowed to enter the US with a one way ticket and follow through with this plan?

marc

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Marc said:
When my wife and I leave the DR in Apr/May we would like to fly into Miami, drive up the east coast, enter Canada from Detroit into Hamilton...then fly to Alberta/Saskatchewan from there on a Canadian airline.

Question: Will we (Canadian Citizens) be allowed to enter the US with a one way ticket and follow through with this plan?

marc

As Canadian Citizens, the DR Immigration will have no authority over your travel, the US INS in Miami will be the deciding factor, and where you are Canadian Citizens proof on onward or return travel is not necessary

Scott makes a valid point though, one way tickets can often cost more than R/T excursion fares

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Flight sure, Car, not so sure

Marc said:

marc

US Immigration doesn't ask for a round trip ticket or any at all.

The problem you have is with CANADA Customs since I assume you plan to rent a car in Miami and Canadian citizens cannot enter Canada with a US registered car even a rental car.

They fear here, that you'll bring in a car bought in say NY and register it and drive it around and avoid taxes, etc.

Since most cars in CDN$ cost less than the same car in USA that is an interesting concept, possibly more relevant in the past.

During 9/11 a co worker was stick in Orlando, had to rent a one way to Buffalo/Niagara Falls, drop that car off, cross on the bus to Burlington and got home that way. The rental agencies were quite firm in not allowing cross border use since he was a Canadian.