Nick's Grill & Buffet in Cabarete

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Cabarete has a new lunch and dinner spot at Royal Residence Plaza (across from Belgian cafe). They feature Dominican food as well as 100% NY style beef hot dogs and 100% Angus beef burgers. They also have frio-frio (Hawaiian shaved ice) made from purified bottled water. We enjoyed a yummy lunch and wish Nick good luck.

Boh

Jan 3, 2002
According to the Trip Advisor link "Nick's Grill & Buffet" in Cabarete is closed? Is this temporary?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
why would anyone try to open a restaurant here unless they know all the tricks?

The real question is why would anyone open a restaurant when the typical chance for success is 10% anywhere. There is a thread on failed businesses. I am sure questioning all of those former owners could fill a book worthy of a class for those wanting an MBA.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Because everyone thinks they are definitely in the 10% category and won't fail - and 10% of them are right :) I think it's great that people open new restaurants and that the market kills off the worst 90% of them. Nick tried to run a small burger joint, had some good ideas, it didn't work out, still kudos for at least trying. Between him and his wife they own several other businesses in DR, e.g. that laundry place right next to the restaurant, so he'll be all right and hopefully try something else.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
The real question is why would anyone open a restaurant when the typical chance for success is 10% anywhere. There is a thread on failed businesses. I am sure questioning all of those former owners could fill a book worthy of a class for those wanting an MBA.

It's not just gringos. The take-out place that was in Coastal plaza had to relocate. Was ALWAYS busy. He moved 1/2 mile up the road. Bad location on the second floor of the motorcycle shop. Poor parking, little to no foot traffic. But brand-spanking new, kind of spiffy. And pretty much the same food. He tells us he had to raise his prices because no customers and much more rent. Now out of business after a couple of months. Dominican MBA

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

i have always maintained that if somebody dedicated himself or herself to producing one spectacular item, they would have a fair chance of survival. the problem with there guys is that they have a menu that looks like the encyclopaedia, and wonder why they fail. if somebody has a superlative burger, no need to be selling la bandera.*

i one thought of starting a chicken only restaurant..fried, grilled, rotisseried, jerk, soup, filet sandwiches. just chicken, different styles. no need to stock 1500 different ingredients.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 11, 2010
Because everyone thinks they are definitely in the 10% category and won't fail - and 10% of them are right :) I think it's great that people open new restaurants and that the market kills off the worst 90% of them.

EXACTLY ! ! !

Just look at Bourbon Street Grill on Pedro Clisante in Sos?a. Some of the failed and failing restaurant/business owners on this board criticized and lambasted anyone for even thinking about opening another restaurant on Pedro Clisante. Blaming THEIR own failures on everything from the mayor, to politics, to changing operating hours, to cracking down on prostitution, I'm surprised they didn't blame Global Warming.

One year later and the Bourbon Street Grill is unquestionably the most successful new business on Pedro Clisante and probably the busiest restaurant in all of Sos?a. Kudos to them for taking the chance and making it work.

I am sure a book written by the successful 10% would be a better read.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
EXACTLY ! ! !

Just look at Bourbon Street Grill on Pedro Clisante in Sos?a. Some of the failed and failing restaurant/business owners on this board criticized and lambasted anyone for even thinking about opening another restaurant on Pedro Clisante. Blaming THEIR own failures on everything from the mayor, to politics, to changing operating hours, to cracking down on prostitution, I'm surprised they didn't blame Global Warming.

One year later and the Bourbon Street Grill is unquestionably the most successful new business on Pedro Clisante and probably the busiest restaurant in all of Sos?a. Kudos to them for taking the chance and making it work.

I am sure a book written by the successful 10% would be a better read.

Great for Bourbon Street, bad for the rest. Still a BAD idea to open a restaurant for anyone that can comprehend that a 90% failure rate is normal. As for reading about why the businesses fail, it is just as important as reading about why a business succeeds. Learning from another's mistake is much less costly than making those mistakes yourself.

USA DOC

Bronze
Feb 20, 2016
Great for Bourbon Street, bad for the rest. Still a BAD idea to open a restaurant for anyone that can comprehend that a 90% failure rate is normal. As for reading about why the businesses fail, it is just as important as reading about why a business succeeds. Learning from another's mistake is much less costly than making those mistakes yourself.

That failure rate is about the same for people starting any business in the USA......anyway thats what they taught us at the University of minnesota ............Doc...........

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Learning from others mistakes*

The business school teaches that second into the market is more profitable than the pioneer company.

Less errors entering a market*
Less R&D costs to recover*
Market has been created.

Sliding into second has always been a big deal......

Home run in the waiting....*

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
That failure rate is about the same for people starting any business in the USA......anyway thats what they taught us at the University of minnesota ............Doc...........

And with that failure rate in the USA, one can imagine what it is like in a place like the DR. Especially for those who have no experience with the local government, employment laws, skill levels available, language and nuances of how to get things done.

davetuna

Bronze
Jun 19, 2012
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
And with that failure rate in the USA, one can imagine what it is like in a place like the DR. Especially for those who have no experience with the local government, employment laws, skill levels available, language and nuances of how to get things done.

which is kind of what i was alluding to.............as well as all the other tricks.....