Secret Condominium Meetings--Need Legal help

berkeleymark

Jun 30, 2016
We had a decent but problematic condo association where I own property in Bavaro since 2009. In May, 2015 a group of three owners who had bought several properties took over.

Since then, we have not had any owners meetings and they haven't provided any financial reports. Now I find out that three owners and their attorney have held secret meetings that no one else was told about.

The minutes of the meetings say that we were notified of the meeting but didn't show up!

I need legal help, does anyone have a good, honest lawyer? I tried Guzman-Aria in Bavaro, but they said they can't help me because they already represent the Administrator who is leading the secret meetings!

Help please.

Thanks.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
We had a decent but problematic condo association where I own property in Bavaro since 2009. In May, 2015 a group of three owners who had bought several properties took over.

Since then, we have not had any owners meetings and they haven't provided any financial reports. Now I find out that three owners and their attorney have held secret meetings that no one else was told about.

The minutes of the meetings say that we were notified of the meeting but didn't show up!

I need legal help, does anyone have a good, honest lawyer? I tried Guzman-Aria in Bavaro, but they said they can't help me because they already represent the Administrator who is leading the secret meetings!

Help please.

Thanks.

1. Do the the properties of the three owners collectively amount to 51% of all units in the apartment complex? If not, then they do not have a quorum at that meeting.

2. Do you have a record of being notified in the proper manner to these meetings-either in writing, e-mail or by phone?

3. There is fine lawyer in the North Coast-Guido Perdomo, but he is in Sosua.

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008

Help please.

Thanks.

BTW-As an owner of a property in the complex, look at your regulations-You have the right to request all information and records pertaining to the financials of the property. I recommend that you request to the Administrator copies of all records going back as far as where the Financials were no longer being reported to the owners. This is a serious issue that should not be taken lightly as improprieties could be taking place that needs to be addressed asap.

berkeleymark

Jun 30, 2016
I only have minutes for the first secret meeting. There are 14 condos, and the three owners showed up with 6 votes, plus they had a proxy from the developer of the condos, showing they own 3 units, which they most certainly do not. But since some owners haven't gotten official titles, the developers takes that liberty when it suits them.

No other owner was notified, and I have this fact in writing from all the other owners. We have been having meetings since 2009 and all documents and notifications have been sent via email.

For the meeting that I have a record for, they say the published a notice in the Listin Diario, so there was no legal notification.

berkeleymark

Jun 30, 2016
Responding to your second message, I have myself been on the Board a few times, so I know the condo regs.

I have asked for financial since 30 days after they took over, and it has been 14 months with not one shred of information. I even took the Administrator to the local Fiscalia, and he showed up with a fancy pants attorney who made lame excuse why they can give the information.

I will contact the attorney you recommend.

Thanks!

jimmythegreek

Bronze
Dec 4, 2008
I only have minutes for the first secret meeting. There are 14 condos, and the three owners showed up with 6 votes, plus they had a proxy from the developer of the condos, showing they own 3 units, which they most certainly do not. But since some owners haven't gotten official titles, the developers takes that liberty when it suits them.

No other owner was notified, and I have this fact in writing from all the other owners. We have been having meetings since 2009 and all documents and notifications have been sent via email.

For the meeting that I have a record for, they say the published a notice in the Listin Diario, so there was no legal notification.

A notice in Listen Diario is not satisfactory-Owners need to be notified directly either by writing-phone-email.

8 Condos need to be represented in those meetings that is 51%+. If one individual owns 8 of the 14 apartments, then there is a quorum.

There is certainly no quorum, if the Developer does not have their name on the title of those three apartments that makes 9 apartments present for a quorum. In reality, there are only 6 present, which is under 51%.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
If the initials of your complex are VM let me know. I will PM you the name of another owner who has had nothing but problems and they may be able to help you.

DRdreaming

Jul 29, 2014
I can recommend Sharen Krausz. She has helped us with our community meetings, advised us on some legal issues we were having with an owner, and is very well versed in condominium law. She is fluent in both English and Spanish. Her office is located in Bavaro. Sharen@campagnalex.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Apr 30, 2006
www.drlawyer.com

Help please.

Thanks.

Just to clarify:
Guzm?n Ariza does not provide legal services to this Condominium nor its administrator regarding Condominium issues, and has not been involved in anything related to its past assembly meetings.

berkeleymark

Jun 30, 2016
My apologies, the Guzman Aria firm has a relationship with the Administrator regarding OTHER matters, but it is true they have not been involved in our meetings in any way.