English Speaking in DR???

Brenda

Feb 13, 2002
English Speaking in DR

I am happy to report that my recent trip to the Punta Cana region was good, however, my biggest problem was the language barrier.

We travel quite a bit, and have not had any problems with this until we went to Punta Cana at a very high class resort. The English Language was not used much, and we felt a lot like second class citizens, often being only tolerated and sometimes ignored because our first language is English.

I would recommend strongly, that the tourism department be aware of this and try to influence Spanish resorts to accommodate us Canadians (Americans) who speak only English.

OUR TOURIST DOLLARS ARE AS GOOD AS ANY ONE ELSE'S. We can see tourquoise waters, warmer even in places like Australia and Fiji, where I found no problems with what I'll call predjudice.

Please understand that I was not alone in this, as many of my fellow travellers complained to each other. Thought that someone should be made aware!! if tourism is going to be one of the country's biggest means of wealth.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
I personally feel that you should adjust to the country your visiting, not the other way round. If I'm Dominican, only speak Spanish, visit a resort in the USA, I shouldn't expect the locals to accommodate me in my native language.

I have pretty much traveled all over this planet and have never expected the locals to adjust to my lack of language skills.

I have never been ignored and always get my point across.
Have fun with your language short comings and the locals will warm to you very quickly, especially here in the Dominican Republic.

Look on the bright side, you had the pleasure of taking a vacation in one of the most beautiful spots on this planet :)

SteamySteve

Jan 28, 2002
RE: English

I agree 110% w/Rob.......couldnt have put it any better. I recently returned from beautiful Punta Cana and found the language barrier a little difficult @ times....HOWEVER I understand that I am in there country and Spanish is there offical language! When you are in their Country u speak their language...just the same goes here in the States.....when you are here in the States you expect everyone to speak our native language...English. If you want to go to the beach and have all Americans and English speaking people than there is a great place called Flordia that will suit u just fine. Just my .02

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Why do you bother travelling to a foreign country if you want it to be just like at home?
A good phrasebook, a sense of humour, and a kind disposition will go a long way anywhere. Maybe they were reacting to your attitude, not your lack of Spanish.
Maybe you should just travel in English-speaking countries.
<sub>Did they really make the extra effort in Australia to learn English so they could converse with the Canadian tourists? Wow, that really amazing that they would do that, I'm quite impressed, they must be the masters of accomodating tourists down there.... </sub>

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: English Speaking in DR

Brenda said:
I am happy to report that my recent trip to the Punta Cana region was good, however, my biggest problem was the language barrier.

We travel quite a bit, and have not had any problems with this until we went to Punta Cana at a very high class resort. The English Language was not used much, and we felt a lot like second class citizens, often being only tolerated and sometimes ignored because our first language is English.

Were there mostly Americans in this resort?

Janice says that Americans make up the largest segment of tourists to the DR. I havent been to Punta Cana and was curious about that.

Regards,
Scott

Janice

Jan 12, 2002
Memory lapses Scott?/Good bye

"Were there mostly Americans in this resort?

Janice says that Americans make up the largest segment of tourists to the DR. I haven't been to Punta Cana and was curious about that.

Regards,
Scott

AGAIN you make a feeble attempt at sustaining your flawed supposition by changing the question. I said DR1 reported that US Citizens make up the single largest group, not the largest segment. If one was to follow your poorly contrived statement, you would have to look for 51% Americans, not the 25% reported by the Central Bank and DR1

Scott, on a board such as this you can go on forever citing YOUR false assumptions, YOUR personal experiences with 95% of the people on a plane being non American and never having to back up one statement, it's endless and a waste of time

You once stated you provided "evidence" by way of hotel statistics, that was simply a posting by you with no references, you cite a website that is 4 years old and well known to use whatever tactic necessary to garner business, even stating that DR banks do not report any transaction to the US Govt et al.

With the undoubted result of insulting the "Fat ugly American," I can only say I am tired of responding to your childish remarks that have no substance, so believe as you wish, it hardly affects myself or anyone else, it only furthers your ego to "get the last word", so please go for it, I wait with unbridled enthusiasm you further laughable assumptions and posturing

Janice

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I was MOST surprised to read of the lack of English spoken in Punta Cana - MOST Dominicans that work in the tourism industry speak 5 or 6 languages almost fluently, certainly up here on the North Coast they do. I am constantly amazed at how quickly Dominicans can pick up a language (5 or 6 months will get them a very good working knowledge of a new language).

If this IS the case in Punta Cana, perhaps you should address the problem with your tour operator &/or travel agent who are the ones who advised you on where to go for your holiday. Perhaps THEY should be persuaded to check out the hotels more thoroughly & check your requirements against the facilities offed. Once tourists start being transferred to other hotles, the management will get the message & soon train their staff into the pleasures of additional languages!!

I occasionally return to Britain for short holidays (the shorter the better) & have tremendous fun talking Spanish, German or French to hotel staff, shop keepers & taxi drivers - RARELY do I find one who has the slightest knowledge of what I am saying "Sorry mate, don't speak the lingo"!!!! Hey, most of them have learnt to aclammatise to the bastardisation of the English language by Americans, Canadians & Austrailians, but that is about it. Otherwise it is the "Good Ole Queens English (with variable dialects of course)".

Your point is taken, but have a go at the people who carry the weight - The Tour Companies. Blame them for sending you somewhere where you couldn't communicate & ask them to refund you some of your money!! - Grahame.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I was MOST surprised to read of the lack of English spoken in Punta Cana - MOST Dominicans that work in the tourism industry speak 5 or 6 languages almost fluently, certainly up here on the North Coast they do. I am constantly amazed at how quickly Dominicans can pick up a language (5 or 6 months will get them a very good working knowledge of a new language).

If this IS the case in Punta Cana, perhaps you should address the problem with your tour operator &/or travel agent who are the ones who advised you on where to go for your holiday. Perhaps THEY should be persuaded to check out the hotels more thoroughly & check your requirements against the facilities offed. Once tourists start being transferred to other hotles, the management will get the message & soon train their staff into the pleasures of additional languages!!

I occasionally return to Britain for short holidays (the shorter the better) & have tremendous fun talking Spanish, German or French to hotel staff, shop keepers & taxi drivers - RARELY do I find one who has the slightest knowledge of what I am saying "Sorry mate, don't speak the lingo"!!!! Hey, most of them have learnt to aclammatise to the bastardisation of the English language by Americans, Canadians & Austrailians, but that is about it. Otherwise it is the "Good Ole Queens English (with variable dialects of course)".

Your point is taken, but have a go at the people who carry the weight - The Tour Companies. Blame them for sending you somewhere where you couldn't communicate & ask them to refund you some of your money!! - Grahame.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Brenda: it is my fault that you are getting this flack. I saw your post on another thread entirely, and requested that, because of you well intentioned commentary, it should have a thread of your own.

I think you might have not made your point, or I am reading too much into your commentary.

Was your comment made because you, as an English speaker, were made uncomfortable by the hotel staff, or the people that were staying at the hotel? Were the staff, unpleasant or un attentive? if so, then a letter to the owners is in order.

For some reason i get the impression that it was the other people, the other guests that didn't pay you much mind, since they were Italian or Spanish or German...Was this the case?

Thank you for your input, no matter, it was interesting...

Cordially,

HB

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Hillbilly raises a good question. I was wondering the same.

If you are saying that the staff made no effort to communicate with you in English, this would surprise me. It would also indicate that the hotel where you stayed has a problem.

It has been my experience that many hotel employees speak at least some English, and understand even more. It has also been my experience that most hotels make every effort to help guests to enjoy their stay because they want both your return business as well as a favorable recommendation to your friends.

Obviously the hotel you visited isn't going to get either, especially not if it was the staff that made you feel uncomfortable.

If the problem was that the other guests were excluding you because you didn't speak another language, such as German, that is a different problem. If that is the problem, then before your next visit you might inquire as to the nationality of the majority of guests. If you learn that a majority are from a country that speaks other than English, you might consider a different hotel. (Some hotels reserve many of their rooms for clients of tour companies from contries such as Germany.)

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Memory lapses Scott?/Good bye

Janice said:
"Were there mostly Americans in this resort?

Janice says that Americans make up the largest segment of tourists to the DR. I haven't been to Punta Cana and was curious about that.

Regards,
Scott

AGAIN you make a feeble attempt at sustaining your flawed supposition by changing the question. I said DR1 reported that US Citizens make up the single largest group, not the largest segment. If one was to follow your poorly contrived statement, you would have to look for 51% Americans, not the 25% reported by the Central Bank and DR1
Janice

I apologize. I was not trying to say that there were 51 percent US citizens. I was wondering if the largest segment of the tourists were US or maybe from another country.

You don't have to make every comment personal Janice. So far I have my head in the sand, I am feeble, flawed and every other negative word in your vocabulary. Try to have a discussion without getting personal. It is better for the heart.

My question still stands. Is the largest percentage of tourists in Punta Cana US citizens. Again, I have never been there.

Thanks
Scott

SteamySteve

Jan 28, 2002
Ken and Hillbilly have valid points......I stayed @ IB in Punta Cana and like I stated b4 the staff did speak ALOT of Spanish...but they also tried their best to speak my language. I dealt with the language barrier the best I could....I used alot of hand gestures and I am sure I looked like a total tool...but I tried my best and dealt with it. The staff @ IB PC was VERY friendly and would do there best to accomodate any request you had(even got a whole pizza to go @ 4am one night after closing the disco all liquored up!!) If however they were rude and unpolite...I agree maybe a letter to both your travel agent, charter service and the resort are in order. I would definetly send a copy to all 3!

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Janice & Scott...

If you have a problem with each other take it some place else.
From now on I will start deleting your messages if it continues.

Yeah, I know I sound like a school mistress, but sometimes I feel like I'm addressing kids and not adults.

Do not bother replying to this message, it will get deleted, nuff said!

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
I've been to many resorts in Punta Cana, and in my experience, the majority of the staff and the resorts do not speak English. Nor do they need to.

Most of the staff are not meant to interact with the customers. They are busboys, water carriers, gardeners, beach cleaners, room maids, etc. English speaking staff were limited to the front desk, reservation services, some waiters/waitresses, animation, and beach staff. That generally turns out to be about 10-20% of the staff in my experience. Of those that speak English, a small fraction are actually fluent and capable of handling a complex complaint or question from a native English speaker.

Yes, it is a problem for man Americans. Especially ones that don't typically travel outside the USA.

The language your target customers speak is important. That's why the resorts do employ so many multi-lingual workers, but it isn't prudent to hire gardeners and maids that speak English.

It is well known that most Americans are not multi-lingual. Therefore, any resort that does not have english speaking staff in the proper positions cannot expect to effectively serve the American market. This complaint is a common one, a valid one, and those resorts that don't adjust will indeed lose customers in the American market.

Marc

Jan 1, 2002
www.haugen.ca
Brenda

So sorry to hear about the staff (pretty sure you meant staff) I have heard the same complaint about PC before, but can't remember for the life of me who I heard it from.

The tourism industry MUST gear itself to its foreign travellers. If it caters to spanish speaking guests only, they would be able to save millions in airport costs by simply shutting most of them down due to lack of use.

Comments like those from jjsk do not represent the sentiment that you will get from most people on the board (don't think she has ever even been here, actually...). Not sure where the animosity is coming from...? Experiencing a different culture and language is one thing, but feeling like you are being "tolerated" or "ignored" after spending your hard earned cash to come visit us is troubling, and surprising. We are glad you came, and hope you return.

Like most have stated, sounds like a hotel staff problem that you need to tell the hotel and your travel agent about.

Next time you need to head to the north coast and we'll treat you right! And come to the board before your trip so we can help you plan it out and "debug" it for you (or maybe you did that...in that case...oops!)

We love you, and we love your dollars! Keep coming back!

See you on your next trip,
marc

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
Marc,
No animosity here.. :confused:
I'm not trying to represent anyone on the board, but I do think it's stupid for someone to travel to a non-English speaking country and then complain that the folks there don't speak English. I was in Punta Cana in December and had absolutely no trouble communicating with the staff at my hotel (and I don't speak any Spanish). Not one person who couldn't understand me made me feel like a second class tourist because I couldn't speak their language, but then, maybe it was the approach that was different because I didn't approach them like I was pissed off they hadn't bothered to learn my language because I was bringing my almighty ($0.60) dollar down.
I wasn't trying to be nasty in my post, if that's what you were thinking, but the comment about having no trouble communucating with the staff in Australia just hit me as incredibly stupid. It would be like complaining that in England they don't look after their tourists because they don't know how to speak French, and how good they are at that in France, because one has no problem finding French speaking people in the hotels. sheesh!
I'm also not the only one (apparently) that thinks it appropriate to make efforts to at try to understand the language of the country one is travelling to. Again, it comes back to, if one doesn't like having to make those efforts, why would one travel to another country in the first place?
Do you expect every person who works in the tourist industry worldwide to learn English? Or would it make a little more sense for travellers to take a little interest in learning something of the country they are going to?

Last edited:

a1999heel

Jan 8, 2002
In reply to Brenda's "problem", I have to agree with Jisk. How can you expect to travel to a foreign country, not speak the language and then get upset because of the way you are treated? I don't know where you are from, but I know many Americans and Canadians that don't look too kindly on those who don't speak the native English or possibly French.
My parents travel very frequently as they do so for free and they don't speak any other language and have never had problems in the DR or any other country for that matter. While I am fluent in Spanish, I too often speak English while in the DR without problems.
Before you leave your country again grab a dictionary or a phrase book of the country you are going to. You would be amazed how much easier it is to communcate when you make an effort at the native language. Even if you butcher it the effort makes the natives realize that you don't think they are SECOND CLASS because they don't speak your language.

Adios Amiga :)

CES

Jan 1, 2002
For Brenda & others . . .

^ "We travel quite a bit, and have not had any problems with this until we went to Punta Cana at a very high class resort. The English Language was not used much, and we felt a lot like second class
citizens, often being only tolerated and sometimes ignored because our first language is English.

I would recommend strongly, that the tourism department be aware of this and try to influence Spanish resorts to accommodate us Canadians (Americans) who speak only English." ^

Hi Brenda,

I should start by giving you a little personal info. on my wife and myself, Mrs. CES is most defiantly "una Dominicana" and very proud of the fact that she has lived in the USA for 35+ years and never denied her heritage, ever. She works in the health care industry, and that's exactly what health care is in the states, it's a business that's driven by the bottom line - the profit motive. She is the number two person in the medical records dept. of mid sized hospital, that bills US$25 million + a week for services rendered. As for myself, a farm boy 'type' from middle America (USA) is close enough.

When reading your post I saw these key words/phrases: "very high class resort", "only tolerated", "sometimes ignored", "tourism department", and "Spanish resorts"

"Very high class resort" immediately invokes a certain expectation in the level of service that one would expect to receive from key members of the hotel staff.

"Only tolerated", and "sometimes ignored", in the context of a "very high class resort" is not what I would except as good value for your 'holiday dollars'. If a business that's part of a "'hospitality industry'" wants to garner your repeat/return business then damn well they better make you feel welcomed in their hotel, etc.

By "tourism department" do you mean the national tourism organization of the DR?

By "Spanish resorts" are you indicating 'AIs' owned by corporations based in Spain?

A personal anecdote - - -

Mrs. CES has visited the DR ("going home") several times on her own, I've had to stay home for various reasons and she needs to maintain family ties so she goes without me tagging along. If in the course of her visit the family decides it's time to go to the beach they'll book rooms at one of the south coast "AIs". I should say that Mrs. CES "looks like" your average N. American, S. American, European, 'some kind of Anglo' (maybe) adult lady. Because of this she has some interesting stories to tell of her minglings with the resort guests. Most all english (only) speaking folks will swear that she isn't a Dominican when compared too the resort staff and other Dominican hotel guests. That said, I'll give you this - one numerous occasions Mrs. CES has experienced a different level or type of treatment from the hotel staff once they realized she was a Compatriot. If she were to speak english only, then a sort "do I look like I really care attitude" would shift to a "yes, how may I help you" when Spanish was spoken. A sort of "wink, wink" kind of thing. In all fairness there are also a certain number of service industry workers that would be much happier pursuing some other field, perhaps something in animal husbandry if they were able to make a living doing that.

regards,

. . . CES"

Last edited:

Paul Thate

Jan 11, 2002
brenda is right

If Brenda was traveling in the campo to widen her horizon, you all are right.Thats all spanish.
She was not. She paid top dollar
for in all inclusive holiday
Beach and sun. No culture.
This is the tourisim business the Dominicans want to be part of.
Well you better learn how to serve
these tourist , where ever they come from.
Americans in english , Germans in german. etc.
And if you can't you loose.
Tourist will go elsewhere.
And as I see it The Dominicans can't loose any more tourist..

Jim Hinsch

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
geocities.com
Re: For Brenda & others . . .

CES said:
^ "Mrs. CES "looks like" your average N. American, S. American, European, 'some kind of Anglo' (maybe) adult lady. Because of this she has some interesting stories to tell of her minglings with the resort guests. "

I'd love to hear a few.