Immigration / Visa for US

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
My ex wife's mother is US citizen.

My son is Dominican / German and holds a German passport.

Question:

Ex is thinking about trying to leave the DR for the US. I support it since (despite all the sh*t going on in the US) I see a better future for him over there than here in the DR.

I heard it is even more difficult to get a visa for people with relatives living there than without?

What are her changes? Are there any? Any input?

Thanks all!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

Question:

Ex is thinking about trying to leave the DR for the US. I support it since (despite all the sh*t going on in the US) I see a better future for him over there than here in the DR.

I heard it is even more difficult to get a visa for people with relatives living there than without?

Thanks all!

Anyone who is actually an American can sponsor any relative they have with a very good chance of them getting in as a resident. Not necessarily a visitor's visa, but residency.
That includes newly naturalized Americans as well as life long Americans. That is why many Cubans send one relative to Miami and as Cubans they were on the fast track for residency and also citizenship, ahead of other latinos, and then could bring in their extended family. That policy is also behind the well publicized anchor babies.
Der Fish

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Her mother can petition for her, assuming she has the income required [she will have to prove she can support her daughter and grandson - will need letters from employers, bank statements, etc.].

When the daughter is approved, minor children are included automatically [they are included on same petition].

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Her mother is retired. Owns (or owned an apartment in NY), recently moved to Florida. My ex has an ongoing (remote) job for a US company (not sure if that counts). But not employed with 401K or such, just freelancing (wage quite good for DR, but nothing in US though).

Do you know how the required income is measured?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Her mother is retired. Owns (or owned an apartment in NY), recently moved to Florida. My ex has an ongoing (remote) job for a US company (not sure if that counts). But not employed with 401K or such, just freelancing (wage quite good for DR, but nothing in US though).

I wouldn't want to guess at the income, it's been a long time since we sponsored family to the US. I'm sure it's online though. If the mother is retired, she may not have the income requirements, and I have no idea about whether the daughter having a US remote job will matter.

I can tell you that we did it all ourselves, no lawyer. Wasn't that difficult. However, at the time we were both full-time employees with good salaries and longevity in our jobs. We needed formal letters from our employers, tax returns/W2s/etc.

Apr 7, 2014

Question:

Thanks all!

The thing is family visas for unmarried children over 21 take a LONG TIME to acquire. Their is a website I saw last month that said for the DR it can take 13-17 years. The DR is 3rd on the list after Mexico and the Phillipines for family visas unmarried over 21. If your mother in law petitions for her daughter and qualifies there will be a long waiting list of people who applied in 1999 or so. If she were an immediate relation(unmarried under 21) she would jump to the top of the list.

Apr 7, 2014

Question:

Thanks all!
Where are you from? Germany. Well who cares what the childs mother wants. You should inquire how easy it is for your boy to get your German citizenship because for Germans should be easy to get a visa, if one is required.

Apr 7, 2014

Income has to be above the federal poverty level for the year of application for a family of four I believe.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Where are you from? Germany. Well who cares what the childs mother wants. You should inquire how easy it is for your boy to get your German citizenship because for Germans should be easy to get a visa, if one is required.

He has German citizenship. Is 13 y/o and has the German passport. For him it would be easier than for his mother I guess... :)

Jan 9, 2004

Mike:

Income is measured by the number of people that would be in the household.

Mother, daughter and son would require an income of 125% above the federal poverty level or $25,200. In the alternative, sufficient assets or owned property can be substituted if the income does not meet those levels.

The purpose is to avoid people entering the country and then needing immediate help.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Also, if his grandmother petitioned for him solely he d probably get his visa in a year while his mother would still be waiting. Immediate family unmarried under 21 would give him priority. Ask your mother in law to do that first.

Not a bad idea, I like it. In 5 years he could apply for US Citizenship, and if he's working he could apply for his mother. Would be faster than waiting for the grandmother to bring daughter.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Sounds great.

An aunt of my new wife went to Florida a couple month ago to live with her daughters family. My wife says it took her less than 3 years... Wonder how she did that...

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
NM. That aunt got a 3 month visitors visa.

She has to go back to DR before three month are over. They say after doing this without fail she would get another visitors visa next time without problems and so on? But this of course is not a residency which would permit to work, study or such. This is of course not a solution for my son and ex wife.

Apr 7, 2014
Not a bad idea, I like it. In 5 years he could apply for US Citizenship, and if he's working he could apply for his mother. Would be faster than waiting for the grandmother to bring daughter.
For him it would be fastest. For her, the mom, it would still be the same game, she is family unmarried over 21, not a priority. Besides he would still have to be above the income guidelines to bring her which is a hard sell for an 18-19 yo. Let the grandma petition for the boy first then a year later she can petition for her daughter, who still probably have to wait 15 years.

Apr 7, 2014
NM. That aunt got a 3 month visitors visa.

She has to go back to DR before three month are over. They say after doing this without fail she would get another visitors visa next time without problems and so on? But this of course is not a residency which would permit to work, study or such. This is of course not a solution for my son and ex wife.
Thats a tourist visa.
What you want for your boy is to establish residency as soon as possible so when he goes to college he will get IN STATE university tuition AND as a permanent resident he can qualify for financial aid.