Las Terrenas ....huelga

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
First time in 10 years living in DR,staying for a week in Las Terrenas, today second night in a row huelga.

No coffee tonight because my wife couldn't get to the super Pola...:disappoin

DRDreamer72

Nov 17, 2014
It was ok in town this morning, till around 3pm, then places started to lock up and the streets began to clear again :-(

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
First time in 10 years living in DR,staying for a week in Las Terrenas, today second night in a row huelga.

Now that is bad luck.

Reminds me of a couple of years back when I was living there and we had all those problems but worse. There is a long thread on it.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Electricity off and on, shots being fired in the distance...I personally don't care, we're not that close to the center, but my brother and his wife and kids that came from Europe aren't very happy.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

Take your relatives to Luis' restaurant for lunch. It is on the beach in Coson. Very informal. Great grilled fish, chicken, shrimp and lobster. Meal comes with salad, rice and beans and papa fritas. Where your bathing suit. You can swim while you are waiting. Order a Pina Colada and they bring it in a hollowed out pina'.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
People don't like having to actually pay for electricity. It is a learning process after being allowed to steal it for so many years.

Reading the reports, it appears the power company tacked on some illegal disconnection/reconnection charges, doubled the monthly connection fee, as well as doubling the rate from 7 to 14 pesos per kWh.

Last edited:

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
According to the guard of the house we rented the rate almost tripled from 7 to 18 pesos. And fixed rate and reconnection rate doubled. Government doesn't want to subsidize as they do in other parts of the country.

In the meantime electricity is still not back. Super Pola won't open today because they have been 'threatened'.

Thinking of packing or things and go elsewhere.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
So much for Las Terrenas. They won't see me back there in a long time. Now near Las Galeras, I should have come here from the beginning.