Road Trip around country- Need to find Large Mini Van for 7

Virgi

Jul 23, 2016
Greetings I find this blog very informative and at times amusing:D
I'm planning on taking a road trip in August after attending a wedding at Paradisus Palm Real in Punta Cana, any suggestions on renting a van to accommodate 7 adults with enough luggage space that is reliable for a week?
Pick up in Punta Cana, return zona colonial (I was looking at the car rentals but they seam to be more SUV with limited luggage space (maybe a mini bus/van) can't seam to find one large enough for 7 possibly 8 adults and a lot of suitcase space :rolleyes:s

Thank you ahead for any guidance:D

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
I'm planning on taking a road trip in August after attending a wedding at Paradisus Palm Real in Punta Cana, any suggestions on renting a van to accommodate 7 adults with enough luggage space that is reliable for a week?
Pick up in Punta Cana, return zona colonial (I was looking at the car rentals but they seam to be more SUV with limited luggage space (maybe a mini bus/van) can't seam to find one large enough for 7 possibly 8 adults and a lot of suitcase space :rolleyes:s

Alamo. at Punta Cana airport shows a 12 passenger Ford Transit Van. I would go online and take a look at this and see if it is available. They also showed a 15 passenger van which would give you plenty of room for luggage. If you are driving directly from Punta Cana to the Colonial Zone you are probably better off to hire someone to drive you.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Suggestion is to hire a driver unless you are used to driving like you are in a video game.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010

What is your itinerery from Punta Cana to end up in the Colonial Zone? Are you planning to go other places in the country or just a direct shot. Driving in the DR is not like North America. A little more details of your trip would be helpful. Good luck and good travels.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You will have trouble finding a vehicle you can pick up in one place and drop off in another. If it is at all possible, you will pay a huge premium for someone at the company to drive the van back to where it belongs. Traffic accidents in this country after the first six months of this year have already exceeded the total from last year or maybe that was accident deaths and injuries, not sure.

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

I just ran across on TripAdvisor a mention of DSRR Bus rental. That may be a help to you. I know nothing about them, but check this out.
Der Fish

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Go for it! Just do not drive at night and give yourself time to get lost. The main obstacle is road signage.

A week will give you time to explore the Punta Cana area, La Romana-Bayahibe, stopover in Juan Dolio and get as far as Santo Domingo. The roads all the way are good.

Depends on what your interests are…

Here are two DR1 guidebooks with suggestions for La Romana-Bayahibe and Santo Domingo.

http://dr1.com/travel/laromanaguide.pdf

http://dr1.com/travel/santodomingoguide.pdf

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
Keep checking the airport rentals (Avis) or colonialtours. what you want is a "microbus" type rental. Microbus is slightly larger than a mini van , seating 12 passengers. That drop off charge is something to consider, but its not probably a big deal considering your needs.

kapitan75

Jun 3, 2005
go to a website like expedia and put in your info. a random search revealed Budget rent a car would have a hyundai 12 passenger full size van for about $600 per week.