When is the best time to buy my plane ticket to STI??

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Hi!

I will be returning to Jarabacoa on Aug 31st or Sept. 1st. and flying into STI.

So right now it is just over a month out-in your experience, when is the best time to buy tickets? Should I jump for them now, or hold out a couple weeks or so hoping they drop as it gets closer?

Do not have much experience in this area on when to save the most money.

Thanks!

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Hi,

It depends on a lot of factors. Where are you coming in from? Keep in mind that the 31st is the start of the Labor Day weekend in the US, so costs may be a bit higher.

I'd use Orbitz, Kayak, or something similar to find the better deals. Keep in mind there may be better options with flying in to Santo Domingo, and then taking a bus for the rest of the way. I think Caribe Tours has two morning buses, and two more in the early/mid afternoon.

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
Sorry- I am coming in from NYC. I usually find the best deals from JFK.

I will look into Santo Domingo. But I can get a ride from a friend if I fly into STI. I will check the other flights, I usually use Google Flights as I think it is very simple. Going to look at Orbitz and see if SD is a better option as well. Thank you

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
My experience is the closer to the flight time, the higher the price. Once in a while there is a special short term deal, but I have never been able to get one of those when I want to fly.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
Anything under $400 US round-trip from any airport in the NYC area to any airport in the DR(I've flown into POP, STI, and SDQ) is a good price. What are the prices your seeing now?
Granted, they "might" go lower, but they are more likely to go higher. Your only about a month out, so for your peace of mind, I'd buy now.

FYI, in 10+ years of flying these routes, the cheapest tickets I've bought were a $279 RT to Santiago (STI), and a $89 one way to Santo Domingo (SDQ). But those were one time "flukes" if you will. That doesn't happen with any regularity.

Again, anything under $400 RT is good value.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
The sooner buying flight tickets these days the better and cheaper if you ask me - never had any luck with last minute deals...

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
If you are using jetBlue my experience is that the fares tend to go up as you get closer to your departure date.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Earlier is usually better. But I found that booking 2 one way tickets on the same airline is usually cheaper for some reason than buying a round trip ticket.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
You can drive yourself crazy searching for the cheapest fares.

I know the maximum I want to pay. When I see a price lower than that, at a time I wish to fly (not 03:00) I buy the ticket. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose but at least you can always say you paid less than your maximum.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Sorry- I am coming in from NYC. I usually find the best deals from JFK.

I will look into Santo Domingo. But I can get a ride from a friend if I fly into STI. I will check the other flights, I usually use Google Flights as I think it is very simple. Going to look at Orbitz and see if SD is a better option as well. Thank you

I went on-line and Jet Blue has a fare of $184usd to either STI or SDQ departing on August 30th. You will have to buy a return ticket unless you have a cedula card. Those are direct fights and I don't think you will find a cheaper price. I would not wait any longer to make my reservation. I looked at the week before and after on those Jet Blue flights and the prices are higher. Good luck and good travels.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
Earlier is usually better. But I found that booking 2 one way tickets on the same airline is usually cheaper for some reason than buying a round trip ticket.

I noticed that as well about two one-way tickets on at least one airline, it used to be the other way around - who knows how they calculate the prices, it's totally unfair, always try and rip off the passengers !

I always check now....

SomebodySmart

Oct 24, 2015
You don?t buy tickets anymore. You purchase flights.

Hi!

I will be returning to Jarabacoa on Aug 31st or Sept. 1st. and flying into STI.

So right now it is just over a month out-in your experience, when is the best time to buy tickets? Should I jump for them now, or hold out a couple weeks or so hoping they drop as it gets closer?

Do not have much experience in this area on when to save the most money.

Thanks!

rms1019

Jul 12, 2016
SKY- I was actually looking at that! Seems backwards but it looks cheaper.

Sadly my family uses AA and there are never any good options through them anymore to STI-always at least 2 stops.

Timotero-$279 is amazing! I am seeing about $600 right now- based on the times I need to fly (the most ideal ones) they are a little expensive. I will probably end up doing jet blue into STI from JFK, going to check on one ways..
It is more annoying when you have to book both ways with jet blue and the flights back are always at 2 3 or 4 am haha.

Thanks for the tip on looking into buying to separate tickets, and it seems I should not wait any longer!