Real estate agents improper request

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Just curious
I heard recently that if you are looking for a place to buy, and use for example west indies real estate - where thay may show you 5 properties

Then if you immediately go to another real estate like perdomo and they show you a property that west indies had previously shown you and you buy it from Perdomo, then i have heard that WI real estate can get very upset and cause you problems claiming they had shown you the property first.
Further, i have heard that real estates can ask you to sign a contract saying you will not purchase a property shown to you by them first...from another real estate. And that i may owe them money because they put in all the hard work.

1/ can someone clarify this please?

my opinion , its none of the real estates business what i do and from whom i choose to buy property.

What if i got a better deal from perdomo?
What happens if i refuse to sign this document?
What are the ramifications of signing this document and then buying from another real estate?
Will that mean they wont show me any properties?

If this is a true understanding of this situation then id like to say OMG the nerve of these real estate people!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
There is no regulation of real estate. It's whatever they say it is if you believe them. There is no MLS, no licenses. Wild west in the caribbean. In spite of the lack of regulation there are some very good honest agents. Good luck.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Your in the DR my friend you get sued for farting in wrong wind direction ...you admit he showed you first owner cares to get it sold not who agent is , so thinking your getting better price from one agent to another I doubt it.. Good luck with your venture...

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
With Century 21 (Perdomo) after you visit a property you have to sign a document for each - don't ask me why it's like that -

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Remember what you described is like a buyers agency agreement in Canada, I believe same in USA. Thats what done each time. You are expected to do due dilligence on your realtor before selecting of course and to me this is fair. Why, because how does everyone else like running around spending time and gas and searching the net just to find out you have been doing this with 4 others?
Most DR realtors are flakes and i would never sign on to this with them but pick a good one and make them work!

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
With Century 21 (Perdomo) after you visit a property you have to sign a document for each - don't ask me why it's like that -

I've viewed houses with a Perdomo Century 21 agent. The form I signed confirmed the viewings, contained questions about what I thought of each property, and didn't contain a clause preventing me from viewing the property with other agents or any restrictions on purchasing it. The form provided feedback to the property owners and confirmed who viewed their property and who showed it. The agent put a lot of effort into selecting a variety of properties to give me a good perspective on all types of real estate in a variety of areas. I wouldn't deprive her of her commission by going to another agent to try and get a better price. I don't think that would work. If a purchaser wants to haggle directly with the owner, there are plenty of private listings where you can do that. Prices have been declining steadily since 2008 and both listed and private prices reflect that.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
It's not an improper request. If you sign something, stick to it. If you don't like it, don't sign it.

And if it bugs you that working people want to get compensated for the work they do, then do it yourself. It's not that hard.
You have access to the same Multiple Listing Service everybody else does. It's called "driving around".

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Picking one good agent and sticking to them will not allow you to see all of the listings simply because there is no MLS and no one agency has access to all, or even most, of the listings.

If you do sign a paper about a purchase obligation on a particular property, then you are obligated to use the agent who made you sign that paper if you purchase it.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
If an agent puts in a lot of work he should get compensated.....If I got you to come mow my lawn how would you like it if I paid your neighbor......

My thoughts not yours......

irishpaddy

Bronze
Sep 3, 2013
the nerve of these real estate agents.....trying to get paid for doing their job ....you just go ahead and sign the contract ....and show them what type of man you are ....imagine they might demand that you stick to your agreement

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
the nerve of these real estate agents.....trying to get paid for doing their job ....you just go ahead and sign the contract ....and show them what type of man you are ....imagine they might demand that you stick to your agreement

Well said!

Derfish

Gold
Jan 7, 2016

How would you expect it to be? In booking a hotel sometimes people see a price with one of the booking companies and think they can call direct to the property and not have to pay the bookimg agent that showed them the property, but as others are saying: Do you work free? I never did in all my years of running a business.
Der Fish

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
Remember what you described is like a buyers agency agreement in Canada, I believe same in USA. Thats what done each time. You are expected to do due dilligence on your realtor before selecting of course and to me this is fair. Why, because how does everyone else like running around spending time and gas and searching the net just to find out you have been doing this with 4 others?
Most DR realtors are flakes and i would never sign on to this with them but pick a good one and make them work!

In response to ...running around spending time etc etc

TOUGH LUCK i would say to the Real estate. I mean seriously, Thats the RE agents bad luck.

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
It's not an improper request. If you sign something, stick to it. If you don't like it, don't sign it.

And if it bugs you that working people want to get compensated for the work they do, then do it yourself. It's not that hard.
You have access to the same Multiple Listing Service everybody else does. It's called "driving around".
For arguments sake...they get compensated once the buyer elects to buy it from them. There is no compensation for driving someone around in a CRV.
Ive bought many properties and i view properties held by different agents. Occasionally i see the same property...and always wondered what if i played one off against the other to get a better deal.
Hey, thats business...im sure ill irritate someone....the ball is in my court...i would think

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
What does obligated mean...the will sue me?
Ha....fat chance. Id like to see that. Them spending $10k to claim $6k

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
The whole neighbour thing you used is all wrong...i wont get into that

It happens all the time...you go into best buy...the sales guy tries to sell you a mp3 player...and you decide NAHHHH. And then you walk into
the next shop and buy the same device. Thats business
See Hammerdown its the same. Your argument respectfully doesnt hold water

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015

Signing a contract is now a statement of what kind of man i am...thats absurd.
The agreement to my mind is; you drive me around, if i like a property and dont like you...i wont buy it from you. All sales people kknow that! If they dont like you they wont buy from you.
If i dont like the RE agent ill go next door where i hope to be treated a little better. Everything im arguing is very reasonable.
Trying to get paid....you can try to get paid by using other methods, not via you must sign this document now. I dont gotsta sign nooooo document buddy...IMO

rogerramjet1

Sep 10, 2015
That was an interesting discussion of views...most of those views supplied held little water. Interesting all the same