Did you pack everything?

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Did you pack everything? There is an unassuming, a better word is austere, little public school by the side of the road in El Cortecito in the Bavaro/Punta Cana area. It is Escuela Premaria El Cortecito and it needs a little help. Why? It is one teacher for 100 plus students. She educates in Spartan conditions. Yes, there is education! However, how can the one maestra function as a teacher when she is also: headmistress, secretary, chief financial officer, engineer, janitor, nurse, referee, counselor, politician, fund-raiser and mother for her students without any tools, other than her own wits. My good wife and with some assistance yours truly have been donating time and some material goods for the education and other needs of the beautiful elementary students and this dedicated maestra. Yet, we feel our support is really not perfect. We want to do more. Yet, we can?t do it all. The school needs and would like some additional outside support. We just want to make it better for the maestra and her students.

The government does not have enough funds to properly support this school and many others like it in this country. You really wonder how it can function. Yet, there has been some assistance for the school from the local community. Paint and labor was donated to paint the exterior of the school and the local energy consortium has donated electricity for the lights.

The school does need a new latrine; the present one defies description. Also, better running water facilities are needed; the one outside tap is the source of all school water. These former items are being addressed and will get the needed attention, come hell or high water. There are other physical needs for the school; like an office, more classroom space, desks, bookcases, and a fence. They are on the future list of things to be accomplished.

Right now, it is the small day-to-day items, simple things that are needed to help make this school get on with its mission. They are as follows: chalk, pencils, pencil sharpeners, plastic scissors, magic markers, erasers, small paper notepads, sticky notes, colored paper, clear adhesive tape, paper clips, paste, blank labels, eight-ten pack crayons, flash cards, elementary level books in Spanish, maps in Spanish, soap, paper towels, facial and toilet tissue, little sticky stars to put on the foreheads of the 100 plus star students and any other supply you may think of. Nothing will be refused. Also, a little bit of cash helps, but not a whole lot, 10 or 20 pesos at best, just enough to pay for some daily incidentals.

If you are visiting the Punta Cana/Bavaro area and would like to help, everyone knows where the Escuela Premaria El Cortecito is located. It is right on the bus route near the Hotel Carabela and H10 Bavaro Resorts on the way to Plaza Bavaro. You will know the school is open when the national flag is flying on the flagpole. Even if you don?t bring anything but yourself, your attention is welcome and you will be rewarded. The students and maestra will warmly welcome you. Remember, even if you are not in the Punta Cana/Bavaro area, most any public school in the country would welcome your attention.

Did you pack everything? Regards, PJT

AtlantaBob

Jan 2, 2002
Yes, wouldn't it be cool if...

every tourist that got off a plane had a little something packed away for the schools or churches in the area. Maybe the government could let us substitute the $10 tourist card fee for a box full of goodies for needy children. No, never mind that would involve the govenment and a bunch of red tape. Anyway, if you could keep a list of needed items posted somewhere we could check it before our visits.

No, Hillbilly, you can't put down on the list that you need a new Taylor Made 300 series 9 degree stiff shaft driver so you can keep your drives lower and out of the wind over the cliffs at Playa Grande. Hehehe
See ya,
Bob

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
PJT: Excellent work.
Given the geographical distribution of the schools that need help, I think that perhaps Dolores and Robert will have to coordinate some sort of Central Gathering Office and appoint Regional Supervisors.

As of now, we have Punta Cana, Abreu and Maimon on the North Coast and someplace down in the South that Cool Sarah (?Was it her?) visits from time to time.

Ronald and his wife held a Pig Roast for some DR1ers last summer and raised a bunch of money for the local school master. He has pictures on his site. Maybe the Easteners could do something similar??

There were those people that wanted to build a school over in Maimon, remember?

How about it Dolores? Would it be feasible? I am sure we could get the donations drop shipped to some place in Florida for shipment here, perhaps in exchange for publicity, at no charge?

Oh, yeah, I was forgetting about Guayabal....

Gee, we got a lot do do..

Hb

jjsk

"Going for Gold"
Jan 1, 2002
grat post PJT

What a great idea to have a list things travelers can bring with them if they want to help out. Some folks may want to do something, but not know what is appropriate. Thanks for sharing this info :)

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Address

Folks, thank you for your feedback and encouragement. Yes, we have got to do a lot. But we want to take it in tiny steps first to build up the school's infrastructure to be able to store and secure supplies from theft. So I advise if you are inclined to send something, send in small quantities and send with someone visiting the area or by prepaid private courier, because the postal system here cannot be trusted. A little can go a long way. The address that I have is simple. Escuela Premaria El Cortecito, El Cortesito, Bavaro, Republica Dominicana. ....and Hillbilly, the excellent work is on the part of the maestra and my lovely wife, I'm only involved by default. De fault that I cannot say no to my partner. Regards, PJT

Susan

Jan 23, 2002
Please contact our foundation!

Please contact me!

I have just established (established legally and recorded in America two days ago) a non-profit foundation for this exact purpose.

I also made a dear friend one day going to climb waterfalls near Maimon.... (we didn't know we were being sent by the Great One to see schools instead!). When we saw with our eyes the need in the schools, we were moved in our hearts. She has a foundation up and running, and has brought many containers into D.R. in the last 6 months. Clothes, school supplies, many good things.

We have named our foundation:
Crayons For Caribbean Children
Creyones Para Caribes Los Ninos

That is because the first time I came, I read on the internet that schools needed supplies. I went to a school in Maimon, and took coloring books to children with NO CRAYONS.

THAT IS WHERE IT ALL BEGAN FOR ME. CASE CLOSED!

Contact us, and we will be able to begin to help your school. The Rainbow Foundation is one that is operating now. My foundation will be up and running by next school year.

In between time, many schools and churches in my area might be willing to start sending boxes of items you need. Photographs and letters from the teachers there would assure us and also help raise awareness and cash for your school.

We would be happy to help you with these things, so please let us know.

We will help you, and it is our blessing to do so.

susang@fuse.net
susan gaebel